PC not booting…failed hardware?

Associate
Hi

I’ve just got back from holiday and pc was working before I left. Now the following has happened:

1. Started pc which booted fine. Used it for 15 mins then had to leave it to do something. Woke pc from sleep mode and it shut down on me.

2. Restarted pc which booted into windows but then shut down after about 10 seconds.

3. Now pc won’t even boot. When turning on the fans spin for 1-2 seconds and repeats but can’t power up.

I’ve just swapped out the cmos battery but this hasn’t help.

My first thoughts are the PSU but it’s about 6 months old.

Any thoughts?
Cheers
S.

Associate
Power surge, i mean we've had storms recently it could have something to do with it. But then you'd have to be able to check components separately. Did you have any overclocked components, i was thinking if it was this it would boot shut down then restart in default settings.

Associate
Any lights on the Mobo come on at all, any way of telling where the problem is, boot up and watch all parts of the mobo, try booting without the ram in, just in case. Take gpu out try looking for any small indications of anything at all, i used to have a board that would light near the cpu, gpu and ram, so you could tell where the issue was arising from.

Check the board as well, any small dark spots where it could have blown.

Associate
Oh, should say I can’t even get into boot. PC only starts for 1-2 seconds then turns off and repeats until I switch off psu.

Ok see if it is the ram, maybe the timings on them have been messed up causing a boot loop. Only way to fix i used to do was take all ram out, unplug from wall, hold down power switch to drain any charge, try 0 sticks, then 1 stick different slots as well, it it isn't working first time

Associate
Try a CMOS reset, something in the BIOS may have somehow have gotten corrupted and made the system boot-loop. Re-setting the BIOS will clear any settings that have gotten screwed up. Some motherboards have a CMOS reset button, others you have to short the jumper with a screwdriver. Of course, make sure it's unplugged from the wall when you do this.

The system won't boot/POST without any RAM (i.e. 0 sticks). It'll likely either get to the BIOS and beep at you or the DRAM light will come on and nothing will happen, or it'll boot-loop as before.

The kind of boot-loop you're describing does sound like a piece of hardware has suddenly developed a fault.

If you can get it it POST with 1 stick of RAM, try it 1 stick at a time. If none cause an issue, run something like memtest. Memory faults are pretty common and can cause the sort of boot-loop you're describing.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone…I’m going to try your suggestions tomorrow as I’ve had a few beers tonight., so probably not the best time to problem solve.

My next post might be ‘spec me a new pc’

Associate
Badger, it might help if you post full specs including mobo etc.

Reset cmos and try to boot with 1 stick of ram is a good place to start but many things it could be.

Sleep mode....the bane of all out lives.

Associate
OP
Hi,
just resetting cmos now. It did boot up for longer this morning but switched off after 15 seconds. I’ll also try just 1 stick of ram.

Specs I’m using are
ASUS X99 sabertooth
2070 super
MSI A850GF…only only a few months ago

cheers

Associate
Ok had a thought , first one for years. Switches on for few secs then shuts down. Could be auto shutting down due to cpu hitting the temp threshhold. Have you ever reseated the cpu heatsink and is the fan spinning? May be as simple as reapply new thermal paste and reseat heatsink.

Associate
Ok had a thought , first one for years. Switches on for few secs then shuts down. Could be auto shutting down due to cpu hitting the temp threshhold. Have you ever reseated the cpu heatsink and is the fan spinning? May be as simple as reapply new thermal paste and reseat heatsink.

He mentioned that he went away on holiday and booted up for the first time and that's when the problem occurred. I thought it could have been a power surge but i don't know.

Soldato
Have you checked "BIOS" battery's voltage/tried new battery?
It could be running low after PC having been not powered during holiday and that could certainly cause wacky symptoms.
Though with 6 years of age something could be simply wearing out.

Also ahve you tried jsut getting into BIOS with minimal parts?
(no drives etc)

Associate
OP
Hi,
I’ve changed the battery, no luck.

I haven’t got access to another psu so I’d have to buy a new one. The current PSU was bought in March.

I have ordered some more thermal paste which should arrive at some point mid week. That’s the last test I’ll do then I’ll have to look at upgrading the MB and CPU.

cheers
S

Back
Top Bottom