New neighbours get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday morning... argh!

Soldato
The only way to be sure of a solution is to move house, preferably emigrate too. Of all the things that could be wrong with your new neighbours! Let’s hope none of them have a dog or small children!

Also, are you the guy who complains that there’s a draught in a restaurant?

Associate
If we assume that this has been happening for longer than the 4 weeks you've lived there, either it doesn't bother any of your neighbours, or someone has already complained and it's not made any difference.

Also, I don't think it's too unreasonable - sounds like your "dreadful night's sleep" is the real problem.

Associate
Could run a fan or white or brown noise app so you can sleep through it, likely will need windows closed. I'm in London too and noise of vehicles alone too noisy in morning with windows wide open.

Soldato
OP
Let’s hope none of them have a dog or small children!
Does having pets or young children entitle someone to wake up the street at 7am on the weekend? :confused: They do have a young child, as do our neighbours next door. And there are plenty of pets/dogs in surrounding houses. No problems with any of those. Kids crying for example is out of patents control (sort of) anyway. Booking a 7am delivery every weekend is an active choice which I personally find to be unsociable.

If we assume that this has been happening for longer than the 4 weeks you've lived there, either it doesn't bother any of your neighbours, or someone has already complained and it's not made any difference.
A fair point, or perhaps it bothers people but they've never mentioned it. By the way, I'm not saying I'd "complain" maybe just mention it in passing and suggest it's a bit early. Then the balls in their court once they know it bothers someone...

I don't think its an issue but you should realise the slot might well be 7-9am so not the neighbours fault.
This is actually useful to know. We use Ocado and it's a 1hr slot, therefore I was thinking a 7-8am slot is just that little bit excessive. If they're booking a 2hr slot maybe they've been unlucky for the last few weeks.

Soldato

Could be why the other people moved! Certainly seems worthy of moving costs.

Soldato
Do people who work night shifts and need to sleep through the day get a say here? Or people who work weekends and want their past-7am lie-in on Wednesdays?

7am IS early and it IS annoying but it's also just life that people get deliveries. For a long period the delivery rounds of packages meant my doorbell rang at 7.30am daily. And I do not like being awake at 7.30am. It's just life.

Soldato
7am is not early, on the other hand i wish people would stop making noise after 8pm, i mean the cheek of my neighbours reversing on their drive at 8pm making loads of noise.

Serious note, glad i live somewhere that its all sensible none lazy people, youll often get people mowing the lawn at 7am on a nice morning.

Man of Honour
The birds keep waking me up on a Saturday as early as 6am when they peck the grime out of the gutters. Can someone have a word.

People will moan about anything these days. I see it all the time on our local FB group. It’s always petty too. We’re so lucky that these are the things that bother us.

Soldato
OP
It wouldn't bother me, I get up at 3am to go to work. 7am on a Saturday morning is not early.
What do you want, a medal?

Do people who work night shifts and need to sleep through the day get a say here?
I did night shifts for 5 years, it's part of the reason I don't sleep well actually. Never again.

Serious note, glad i live somewhere that its all sensible none lazy people, youll often get people mowing the lawn at 7am on a nice morning.
What makes an early riser "sensible" exactly? Doctors say you should be getting 7.5hrs of sleep a night. So to flip it around my neighbour is essentially dictating that I need to be in bed by 11.30pm on a Friday night right? Lol. I'm betting most of the people in here are never in bed by then, let alone on a Friday night when you want to wind down after a long week of work, I dunno have a few beers, have a late pizza and watch a movie or something. My last street was full of "sensible" people where everyone respected others slightly different timeframes and trimming hedges etc, washing cars probably never started before 9am at the weekend.

I couldn't care less if I got woken up at 7am on the odd weekend for whatever reason. I just find it surprising that someone would pick that time for their weekly shop every single damn time.

Soldato
No, but you have to get used to the idea that we live in a 24/7 society, just because you no doubt have a nice 9-5 office job a lot of people work all hours and you moving into a new road and then throwing your weight around isn't going to make you Mr Popular.

Soldato
OP
No, but you have to get used to the idea that we live in a 24/7 society, just because you no doubt have a nice 9-5 office job a lot of people work all hours and you moving into a new road and then throwing your weight around isn't going to make you Mr Popular.
If you read the thread properly I have anything but. The latter part of my day is very busy because my office in LA wake up and start working at 4-5pm UK. I was on calls until 8pm on Friday just gone which isn't unusual (annoying for a Friday mind), and I also deal with a lot of people in different countries and timezones. I'm not looking for sympathy as it's just the way my job is and I'm perfectly happy with it... But you did ask. Having done 5 years of nightshifts I'm also well used to the idea of a 24/7 society. However I was brought up to avoid doing things that might possibly put others out, have the potential to annoy them etc. especially your neighbours. Therefore if I wanted my weekly shop to come on a Saturday morning I'd guess after 8am is more suitable if only because it's just that little bit nicer to your neighbours. Sounds like half the people in this thread weren't brought up that way...

Also suggest you read my OP properly, too. I've said nothing about "throwing my weight around". What I said was;
Ask them nicely if 8am might not be more suitable?
:rolleyes:

Associate
Can we all not take comfort in the fact that just moaning about being woken up at 7am on a weekend means life isn't all that bad?? ;)

Soldato

I did night shifts for 5 years, it's part of the reason I don't sleep well actually. Never again.

What makes an early riser "sensible" exactly? Doctors say you should be getting 7.5hrs of sleep a night. So to flip it around my neighbour is essentially dictating that I need to be in bed by 11.30pm on a Friday night right? Lol. I'm betting most of the people in here are never in bed by then, let alone on a Friday night when you want to wind down after a long week of work, I dunno have a few beers, have a late pizza and watch a movie or something. My last street was full of "sensible" people where everyone respected others slightly different timeframes and trimming hedges etc, washing cars probably never started before 9am at the weekend.

I couldn't care less if I got woken up at 7am on the odd weekend for whatever reason. I just find it surprising that someone would pick that time for their weekly shop every single damn time.
I'm in bed for 10pm every day. My point is why should someone dictate you need to be quiet at 7am but be okay with noise at 9pm.

Back
Top Bottom