Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
California Scents Cherry Coronado was my go to when I used air fresheners, so I can't help. When I fancy a change I just use an A/C bomb, then regularly use odour neutralisers and leave the 'natural' smell. CarChem Refresh OdourEliminator is really good for this.

Soldato

I can see why you would go for this air freshener judging by the cars you own :p
Might give it a go, but seems expensive just for one? I am a Northerner after all.

California Scents Cherry Coronado was my go to when I used air fresheners, so I can't help. When I fancy a change I just use an A/C bomb, then regularly use odour neutralisers and leave the 'natural' smell. CarChem Refresh OdourEliminator is really good for this.

The California Scents Cherry were £9 for 4 and to be honest I was underwhelmed at first but after a couple of days and some heat once the atmosphere had got them going they are unbelievably strong and long lasting just looking for something more neutral but feel that other fragrances in the range get mixed reviews on strength of fragrance.

Thank you for the suggestions will look into the Odour Neutraliser. I am forever using carpet shampoo, followed by a vac once dry and then loading all carpets up with a fabric freshener such as Fabreze etc to ensure they smell fresh and just gives the overall clean feel.

Update: I bought a box of 12 California Scents of various scents for a change as couldn’t fault the strength and longevity of the Cherry one’s.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have some advice for removing tree sap from the paintwork?

I've just come to clean the car and noticed it's specled with sap over the roof and bonnet. I'm going to get some snow foam to remove the general motorway dust tomorrow and have some iso wipes but would rather check in here to see if there's some less harmful products available.

Would anyone discourage the use of iso wipes (70%) for removing the sap?

Cheers!

Associate
Autosmart Tardis, or another brand of tar remover may fare well. I think you might be able to to use an IPA wipe although it might be hard work where a dedicated product should break it down a bit if you leave it to dwell.

Soldato
Does anyone have some advice for removing tree sap from the paintwork?

I've just come to clean the car and noticed it's specled with sap over the roof and bonnet. I'm going to get some snow foam to remove the general motorway dust tomorrow and have some iso wipes but would rather check in here to see if there's some less harmful products available.

Would anyone discourage the use of iso wipes (70%) for removing the sap?

Cheers!
I would just wash it first and see how it goes. If it needs something stronger then try a tar/glue remover like Tardis etc.

Soldato
Iso doesn't work for pine tree sap, anyway, it needs a specific solvent, I'd be concerned about spreading patches, with wrong product; it's denatured turps, or something ?
still have, some solvent left in the 100ml mini spray can I used for maybe 40 drips from pruned tree, I stupidly parked beneath

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ok, so I now have a car I care of and want to keep it looking mint and I need some detailing supplies. Can anyone give a beginner some tips and good things to buy? I live in flats but the folks have a pressure washer which I'll be using.

In my basket at Clean Your Car currently....

mheXwJI.png

Anything else I need?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Auto Wash is out of stock for now otherwise I would get that. I was going to pick it up once its back in.

Is the Gtechniq WM2 better than the lambs wool one?

When you say paint protection, you mean a coating, wax or ceramic? If so not yet, but I would like to...

Soldato
I use the Megs mit and it is great once you've done a once over in BH AutoFoam. You need some brushes to get into the wheels and arches:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N9C7MGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LVZE2E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You may also want to clay, polish and wax the car too for the first time. If it is a dark coloured car I would go straight to clay + "Ultra Deep Shine" as that is a polish/wax/protection in one.

Don't forget interior either.

Edit: get 2 towels too, or at least get a mega big one for the first dry.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Thanks, I've actually got those brushes in my Amazon basket already. :)

Its bright red! Yes I want to polish and wax but that's something I know sod all about so I need to figure out what I need and how to do that first.

Thanks!

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I'd agree on the washmit. The lambs wool is ok, but they don't tend to last well. The Gtechniq WM2 is very good and should easily outlast the lambs wool. Supposedly, the most safe are the noodle mitts. The chemical guys shampoo is 1:640 mix (1fl.oz to 5gal) which is not too bad but nowhere near as good as the BH. (2000:1) The two I'd look at as alternatives to BH auto wash are carchem 1900:1 but cleanyourcar don't sell it and Gyeon Q2M Bathe Essence as it's 1000:1 mix. This is worthy a watch.

Don't forget on CYC there is a discount code from detailing world I think it's 5%. Clean and shiny have a 10% discount, which might swing it price wise.

Polish and waxes is a rabbit hole. I favoured autoglym super resin polish (SRP) and meguiars ultimate compound for years of polishing by hand. I've since moved on to machine polishing with proper abrasive polishes. (Rupes with a force rotation DA)

Wax/sealants are far more personal. Some people like to chop and change a lot so don't like long lived waxes, others want the most durable stuff on the planet. Up until recently, I'd stuck to collinite 476S but bought a tin of Soft99 Fusso coat and am thinking of getting a tin of BH double speed or Gyeon wax too. The durable waxes are usually more finicky to apply and buff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, I've actually got those brushes in my Amazon basket already. :)

Its bright red! Yes I want to polish and wax but that's something I know sod all about so I need to figure out what I need and how to do that first.

Thanks!
The muc-off brush is a god send. Haven't had to work hard to clean my wheels since buying it!

Grab this kit to get you going:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-A...1&keywords=clay+bar+kit&qid=1630575310&sr=8-7

It includes what you need to clay the car (follow the YouTuber Kei mentioned above, he is absolutely brilliant at explaining the fundamentals). It also includes the SRP to apply once you have clayed.

Then grab this to finish/protect:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-R...ywords=autoglym+ceramic&qid=1630575522&sr=8-5

Grab this if your wheels have iron deposits:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-9...keywords=autoglym+magma&qid=1630575561&sr=8-5

And finally this to protect/seal your wheels:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JNP...&colid=DAD0ZGT1I3T&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The idea is that the first wash you do will be hard work. But each subsequent wash will be a piece of cake for at least 3 months.

Edit: I also find these a god send for applying SRP (or in my case, UDS):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/microfibre...ibre+pads&qid=1630575645&s=automotive&sr=1-10

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I still have to pay the petrol to go and use it though. :p

they 'only' have a Bosch aquatek anyway, so I might have to upgrade it for them .:cry:

Soldato
I’d get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and their Ultimate Polish to get out any marks on the paint. If there is start with the Ultimate Polish first. This is called correcting the paint then you use wax to protect it.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I need to register to see it, jst tried and it said my gmail address is banned! I've never been near there before!

Cheers for the links @dLockers

This is getting expensive.... :p
DW05 gets 5% at CYC. DW10 gets 10% at clean & Shiny. There are a boatload of others so if you are buying from anywhere else.

No idea what gives with the email thing.

Soldato
Anything else I need?

FYI this is everything I’ve ever bought...

Armor All Shield Wax
Farecla G3 Scratch Remover
2x Terry Towling Applicator Pads
2x Bucket Scratch Shields
Meguairs All Purpose Cleaner
Microfibre Cloths 5 Pack
Kent Valet Pack and Bucket
Kent Microfibre Buffing Towel
2x Draper Buckets
Auto Finesse Lather Shampoo
2x Kent Microfibre Drying Towels
2x Kent Microfibre Wash Mitts