• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD vs Intel. Gaming top dog?

Soldato
You can't say every other choice than AMD is idiotic.

You could use words like idiotic when people make false claims and arguments as to way their irrational preferences leads to them to overpaying for technological inferior products. Especially so in a technology driven market, and on a public forum for the discussion of technology.

Soldato
The impression i get is that unless you're chasing ultra high 120fps + frame rates at 1080p (in which case go AMD) it didn't make much difference which one you go for gaming wise from what I can see.

Associate
You could use words like idiotic when people make false claims and arguments as to way their irrational preferences leads to them to overpaying for technological inferior products. Especially so in a technology driven market, and on a public forum for the discussion of technology.
Riiiight.

Soldato
The impression i get is that unless you're chasing ultra high 120fps + frame rates at 1080p (in which case go AMD) it didn't make much difference which one you go for gaming wise from what I can see.

At the point the graphics card or game taps out then the frames will become limited. It’s nothing to do with resolution or refresh rate really.

Associate
The 1600 had teething issues, mainly ram stability, but after a few BIOS updates those issues were solved, after that the platform was solid, I'm not too concerned if a vendor has a few issues on a brand new platform, as long as they fix those problems in good time, which AMD did, beyond that there is no reason for that to be a consideration. The platform is every bit as stable as Intel's.

You're talking about Mhz? Its not as simple as that, the Mhz is not what defines the performance of a CPU, its how much it can do for every one of those Mhz, Instructions Per Clock (IPC) and the IPC on Zen 3 is higher than Rocket Lake (11### series), its a lot higher than Comet Lake (10### series)
My 8 core 16 thread 5800X can do more work at 4.8Ghz than an 8 core 16 thread 11700K / 11900K can do at 5.0Ghz.

It's particularly good in games that are light weight on the GPU, like the eSports video i posted a few pages back, i'll post a few more below.
However, there is something about the Intel CPU's that just seems to get that extra 1 to 3% out of a GPU that is very heavily loaded, like Cyberpunk 2077 for example, in this the game is entirely GPU locked and consistently across multiple reviewers the Intel CPU has those extra 2 or 3 FPS.
But as soon as the CPU needs to work for it Ryzen 5000 runs away from Intel.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2260-amd-ryzen-5800x-vs-core-i7-11700k/

Cyberpunk first. you see the same thing across multiple reviewers.

And the rest.

Maybe it all it could come down to is thermal throttling. We all know that heat is the only hinderance to faster clocks therefore more instruction per second, I mean you already looking at 4.8 to 5 billion cycles per second, all of those functions being used is going to create considerable heat, therefore slowing down the IPC. And i see what you mean at only 1-3% your talking miniscule numbers unless of course you were doing heavy calculations over a long period of time, in which case the heat slow down is the true problem, which then i guess you get down to manufacturing processes.

Caporegime
I'm not sure you're getting it :) the clock speed is really not relevant, a CPU running at 2Ghz with 8 instructions per cycle is twice as fact as a CPU running at 4Ghz with 2 instructions per cycle.
A 2L engine with 200 HP is more powerful than a 2L engine with 150 HP, the size of the engine does not matter.

Look at this, all these CPU's are running at a locked 4Ghz, yet they all have different levels of performance, because some are more powerful at any give clock than others.

This single threaded. So just one core vs one core (per core)

10700K (Comet Lake) 417
Ryzen 5800X (Zen 3) 517

That is 24% to Zen 3, the Zen 3 core is 24% (a quarter) faster than Comet Lake at the same clock speed. so Comet Lake needs to run at 5Ghz to match Zen 3 at 4Ghz.

Ai8QXTR.png

Associate
I'm not sure you're getting it :) the clock speed is really not relevant, a CPU running at 2Ghz with 8 instructions per cycle is twice as fact as a CPU running at 4Ghz with 2 instructions per cycle.
A 2L engine with 200 HP is more powerful than a 2L engine with 150 HP, the size of the engine does not matter.

Look at this, all these CPU's are running at a locked 4Ghz, yet they all have different levels of performance, because some are more powerful at any give clock than others.

This single threaded. So just one core vs one core (per core)

10700K (Comet Lake) 417
Ryzen 5800X (Zen 3) 517

That is 24% to Zen 3, the Zen 3 core is 24% (a quarter) faster than Comet Lake at the same clock speed. so Comet Lake needs to run at 5Ghz to match Zen 3 at 4Ghz.

For your pc to cars comparison, maybe it like the traction control, you can have one spinning faster but no have as much traction therefore going nowhere, or idling, whilst the other has perfect traction and gains that lead. Every thing else, i have no idea

Caporegime
For your pc to cars comparison, maybe it like the traction control, you can have one spinning faster but no have as much traction therefore going nowhere, or idling, whilst the other has perfect traction and gains that lead. Every thing else, i have no idea

There is something called clock stretching, this is when the CPU is not completely stable at a given frequency so it has errors in the instructions, then you get less per cycle, but the CPU has a very narrow tolerance for that before the computer just crashes, its a few %

This will only happen if you overclock it to much or undervolt it too much, this would never happen to a stock out of the box CPU.

There could also be thermal throttling, in which case it will lower its own clock speed to stop its self from overheating, again tho this is a symptom of something wrong, in this case inadequate cooling.

Associate
There is something called clock stretching, this is when the CPU is not completely stable at a given frequency so it has errors in the instructions, then you get less per cycle, but the CPU has a very narrow tolerance for that before the computer just crashes, its a few %

This will only happen if you overclock it to much or undervolt it too much, this would never happen to a stock out of the box CPU.

There could also be thermal throttling, in which case it will lower its own clock speed to stop its self from overheating, again tho this is a symptom of something wrong, in this case inadequate cooling.

I give full credit for what AMD did with the Ryzen launch because when a race becomes a one horse show, it gets boring, we need innovation to fuel the next level of design. Soon when CPu's really do start topping out then computational power vs wattage usage is going to become a very nasty game.

Caporegime
What will we all do when the same energy restrictions that are implemented in some parts of the US, eventually starts affecting us? I mean the CPU’s and GPU’s that are rumoured for the near future are said to be very power hungry, even more so than now. You can’t buy some pre built gaming pc’s due to the energy restrictions in the US. If Intel and Nvidia’s numbers keep going up like they have been, I can’t see how they will implement these restrictions.

Yeah its not a matter of if but when.

I don't know, i guess it depends on how draconian they want to be, AMD seem to be pretty good at keeping their power down these days, including for GPU's, Nvidia usually are, Ampere is out of character for them to be fair, i think they are pushing them very hard to keep pace with AMD's latest.

Intel, well, not a great recent history, lets see.

Caporegime
Will California Ban Power Hungry Monitors

I have just stumbled upon this video posted today from Jayz 2 cents regarding the next step in this madness, it's purely witch hunting in modern times, maybe they should look at the amount or air cons and swimming pools they have in their state.

Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better

-World Economic Forum

Climate change is real and we absolutely do have to curb our energy usage.

However, (in my view) the sort of people who think we should all return to living in mud huts, the sort of people who refer to the blue ball we live on as "Gaea" and eachother as "Comrade" have worked their way in to these global institutions and weak governments like the US and our own don't like to be called bad names so watch out the next decade is going to be pantomime.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Soldato
Climate change is real and we absolutely do have to curb our energy usage.

However, (in my view) the sort of people who think we should all return to living in mud huts, the sort of people who refer to the blue ball we live on as "Gaea" and eachother as "Comrade" have worked their way in to these global institutions and weak governments like the US and our own don't like to be called bad names so watch out the next decade is going to be pantomime.

I'm of the view that I don't want to curb my energy use, I want other people to stop having children so the population can go down

Associate
Christ I remember when there was only A rated appliances. The thing is we're trying to curb energy usage now, but there are so many ways to create energy they just need to invest in them, plus fusion will come into fruition sooner or later. We had the same issue 30 years ago with high energy light bulbs, they went from 60 Watts of power to 15, that should have been a massive saving

Caporegime
I'm of the view that I don't want to curb my energy use, I want other people to stop having children so the population can go down
Well i have news for you.

The birth rate at which a population can sustain its self is 2.1, anything above that is growth.

Western countries like the US, The UK, France, Germany.... the birth rate is 1.4 to 1.7. So in the west our population from births is shrinking, its why our governments are quite happy to keep the boarders open.
In south American counties the birth rate is 2 to 3, on the African continent the birth rate is 3 to 6.

So, are you sure about that? And do you want to tell them to stop breeding?

Back
Top Bottom