The Grand Tour

Soldato
I didn't get it...I wondered if it was something not related to covid, but most things deemed American being made in China anyway, hence turning up an "American location" ended up being Chinese instead?

I noted in the bar, a few flags with Wuhan on it, which when the camera flipped back we’re gone. I think it was a dig, at the time I think reading in the news that Wuhan was coming out of lockdown and people were partying.

Likewise the MG parked outside the bar, aren’t MG Chinese owned now?

Soldato
Yeah MG owned by China now, not really MG. As for the episode, I enjoyed it, the last 5 minutes were dreadful and needed a rethink... just ended badly somehow. However, upto then I enjoyed it, just driving around in the rain. Entertaining as usual

Soldato
Not their best, but as said already very limited possibilities with filming during COVID. Enjoyed it, but not high on the watch again list.

I wonder how much of the audience is old enough to remember those awful 70's cars like the Allegro that they were comparing the yank tanks to.

Soldato
I think some of the content was aleady shot for the Russia tour they were going to do. They ended up having to mash something together staying the UK.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yes, such high expectations given a global pandemic, and a country in lockdown.

Dont get me wrong, wasnt expecting anything on the scale of what theyve done in the past, but given the frankly pathetic rate they put the episodes out was expecting more than what really, any of us with a camera, 3 nice cars and a jolly around scotland could have done, possibly more interestingly.

Man of Honour
any of us with a camera, 3 nice cars and a jolly around scotland could have done, possibly more interestingly.

Have to say I've seen amateur efforts like that on YT which are probably better than this episode. It wasn't terrible but it was pretty average overall and a fair bit of wasted opportunity.

Associate
I'm pretty sure the ending was nothing to do with covid but instead a dig that china is becoming what America was always regarded as... the biggest global superpower that was at the forefront of everything. They are hinting soon we'll all be driving chinese cars and it'll become much more a part of western society etc. I thought the only funny parts were the clearly unscripted bits.. James opening the caravan door, Jeremy being the meat in an incompetent sandwich, Hammond sinking the boat. I'm also intrigued about the huge pontoon they built.., it looked new so hoping it's now something the locals can use, rather than them just doing that just because they have unlimited budget.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the ending was nothing to do with covid but instead a dig that china is becoming what America was always regarded as... the biggest global superpower that was at the forefront of everything. They are hinting soon we'll all be driving chinese cars and it'll become much more a part of western society etc. I thought the only funny parts were the clearly unscripted bits.. James opening the caravan door, Jeremy being the meat in an incompetent sandwich, Hammond sinking the boat. I'm also intrigued about the huge pontoon they built.., it looked new so hoping it's now something the locals can use, rather than them just doing that just because they have unlimited budget.
Seems like you just listed all the obviously scripted bits...

Soldato
It was the cars for me, I've just got sod all interest in American cars and it always bores me when they do something using them.

Found some funny moments, May opening that caravan was the highlight.

Just think they took it all the wrong way because they had lined up American cars for use else where I guess.

Back
Top Bottom