• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 ti High idle temps

Associate
I think there may be something wrong with my new 3080 Ti. Its a zotac trinity.

Basically i switch my pc on and within 10 mins the fans on the gpu are going mental, then it quietens down briefly before going nuts again. Ive never been one for overclocking and only reason i would install the GPU's software is so i can change the rgb.

Im forced to start the GPU software every time i boot my pc because it cannot function without getting stupidly hot without it and ive had to manually set the fan curves because left in auto its not reliable enough to stop temps climbing.

This isnt right... right? none of my past graphics cards needed this babysitting.

Associate
Definitely something wrong with that. Make sure no dodgy processes are using your GPU and then it's probably RMA time unless you wanna start fiddling with and troubleshooting the cooler arrangement.

Soldato
The card is not water cooled or modified in any way?

that sort of temp is nuts especially at idle, if the card is stock it probably means that the heatsink is not even touching the gpu or they forgot to put heat paste on the gpu

Soldato
no, its less than a week old bought from overclockers.

If you want to fix it yourself, remove the heatsink and have a look to see if it has thermal paste and try to see if there is something obvious that could cause the heatsink not to make proper contact.

Otherwise send it back to oc uk

Soldato
have you tried different video drivers? however never seen idle temps over 87c at idle, that something i would expect at 100% gpu usage on gaming but that's even pushing it.

Also what's the airflow on your case?

Associate
OP
i updated to the latest drivers as soon as i installed the card. id doubt its an airflow prob i have a asus tuf 501 case, it draws fresh air in from 3 fans on the front and exhausts via 2 at the top of the case and 1 on the back.
ive spoken to Overclockers and they have RMA'd the card

Soldato
Also what's the airflow on your case?

there is no way at its airflow. Even if you put a GPU into a closed case with no fans and disable the GPU's fans there is no way it would reach these temps at idle where the gpu is drawing like 30w

these temps could only be achieved if heat is not transferred from the gpu die into the heatsink because its not making proper contact

Caporegime
i updated to the latest drivers as soon as i installed the card. id doubt its an airflow prob i have a asus tuf 501 case, it draws fresh air in from 3 fans on the front and exhausts via 2 at the top of the case and 1 on the back.
ive spoken to Overclockers and they have RMA'd the card

When you do get your replacement back then don't forget to register it with Zotac, they extend the warranty from 3 to 5 years.

Soldato
Is it showing the same temperature increase in multiple software monitoring programs? Not sure if nvidia have a built in monitor to their drivers like AMD does? Could always try things like HWINFO also, there are lots of alternatives as well.

Associate
OP
Is it showing the same temperature increase in multiple software monitoring programs? Not sure if nvidia have a built in monitor to their drivers like AMD does? Could always try things like HWINFO also, there are lots of alternatives as well.

i didn't have a reason to look at the temps anywhere until i heard the gpu going bonkers with the fans at 100% and i was literally doing nothing on the pc than looking at web sites trying to find a 4k monitor, i guess there's a built in fail safe to spin them up when temps go beyond a certain point.

Soldato
i didn't have a reason to look at the temps anywhere until i heard the gpu going bonkers with the fans at 100% and i was literally doing nothing on the pc than looking at web sites trying to find a 4k monitor, i guess there's a built in fail safe to spin them up when temps go beyond a certain point.

Ah fair enough, was wondering if it was a weird software glitch with the windows task manager.

Is it worth checking to see if it happens in say a linux live, or if you have any anti malware software to scan, just in case there's a bitcoin mining malware on the system, not sure if malware like that can hide utilisation in task manager? Worth a check?

Permabanned
I would say theres either missing thermal paste or no contact. Expect between 70 and 80 under full load and even in idle with zero RPM fan mode enabled during the summer mine sits around 50 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom