Looking for a new monitor - 32" ODYSSEY G7 vs LG 32GP850-B

Associate
Lot of the monitors I’ve been considering are listed here. Still more choices to make though.

seeing X34GSbmiipphuzx Released next month in the uk. That’s tempting.

Last edited:
Associate
I've spent 3 weeks trying to decide between the Odyssey G7 vs LG 32GP805-B .... or keeping at 27" with a Gigabyte m27Q or the LG 27GL850-B as its at a good price.
Still no further in making my mind up.

Soldato
I've been looking at these. Not sure if I want to go from an IPS panel to a VA but not sure if i want to go from 27 @ 1440p to 32 @ 1440p that looks like 1080p, either. My 27" is starting to get harder to read or the text it a lot smaller than it used to look so maybe the 32" is the way to go.
Real difference between these two isn't between IPS and VA.
It's between flat panel and for all around use insanely curved.
(though could see distortion showing well even in some games)

Soldato
Plenty of people don't like the curve and have sent them back because of it.

Also glasses wearers can have issues with it. Headaches and all sorts (see Reddit, etc).
In the past people had to suffer bad image because of cheap CRTs having geometry of bottle bottom.
Now it's because never having done real world work and learning no good marketroids bending panels double with their useless arse.

Real shame Samsung had to break the first VA panels free of VAs black smear/very slow dark transitions type problem with such lunatic curve.
If they had to have more of it than others, why not more sane 1500R?

Associate
Real shame Samsung had to break the first VA panels free of VAs black smear/very slow dark transitions type problem with such lunatic curve.
If they had to have more of it than others, why not more sane 1500R?
You're entitled to you opinion, of course. But I use a Samsung G7 every day and absolutely love the curve. I've used 1800R monitors before and felt the curve didn't add much to the experience, not enough to balance out having to get used to it. But 1000R is very different, to my mind it's a significant improvement for gaming and quite useable for productivity tasks. Some people just aren't going to get on with the curve, but as with all monitors it's always advisable to buy from somewhere with a good returns policy.

Associate
I've spent 3 weeks trying to decide between the Odyssey G7 vs LG 32GP805-B .... or keeping at 27" with a Gigabyte m27Q or the LG 27GL850-B as its at a good price.
Still no further in making my mind up.
I've had my LG 32GP850-B for just over two weeks and I'm really pleased with it.

Once on my desk, the enormity of the 32" was a bit of a surprise, but I very quickly got used to it and the 27" seems so much smaller now.
My previous monitor is a 27" Samsung S27H850 (60Hz 1440) and the extra immersion in games with the 32" panel is most welcome.

Associate
So I am less than a week in and have got used to the curve.
Just one thing I have noticed. I upgraded to O365 and when using word, sometimes at the point of the cursor, the second to last letter in the last word vanishes until I type or move the cursor to the next position.
Not sure if its Word or the screen. Anyway I can live with that. The G7 is great. I haven't seen any patchy colours or bleed. No flickering and works for me at 27"
Hopefully this will last me years.

Associate
So I am less than a week in and have got used to the curve.
Just one thing I have noticed. I upgraded to O365 and when using word, sometimes at the point of the cursor, the second to last letter in the last word vanishes until I type or move the cursor to the next position.
Not sure if its Word or the screen. Anyway I can live with that. The G7 is great. I haven't seen any patchy colours or bleed. No flickering and works for me at 27"
Hopefully this will last me years.

That's Word doing that, exactly the same thing happens on my O365 office and 10 year old monitor. Since the most recent update it has caught me out a few times as I thought it had missed a key press

Soldato
OP
Finally bought one(LG 32 GP850 from a competitor). At first there was some black screens randomly but then I changed the display port cable to what was in the box(I was using the one I had before) and so far not a single black screen. Did a few tests with the screen and seems like no dead/stuck pixels and screen seems very good with no back light bleed as well!
Its a far cry from U3415W i was using till now and at first it took me a few minutes to get used to the dimensions. Images does look sharper and more vibrant even after turning down the stock settings. Itys much lighter than U3415W as well which is a plus.

Last edited:
Associate
Had the 32" G7 for almost a year, panel is fantastic blacks are black and its nice and fast, although I hated the curve, it added nothing and was way too agressive for such a small screen, ended up selling it becaus the curve.

Associate
although I hated the curve, it added nothing and was way too agressive for such a small screen, ended up selling it becaus the curve
The aggressive curve on the Samsung's put me off as well.
I initially thought a slight curve might be what I wanted, but in the end I ended up getting a completely flat 32" LG.

Associate
I was very wary about all the people saying the curve is aggressive on the G7.
I really like it and hardly notice the curve. My first curved screen so had nothing to compare it to, maybe thats an advantage.
I'd say to anyone thinking of getting one that you will get used to it quickly and it is a very clear and sharp screen.

Associate
Hi, sorry for bumping this thread. I'm in this exact dilemma choosing between these 2 monitors!
I can get the g7 for £500 however the LG GP850 is on sale for £300 right now. That's nearly half the price of the Samsung! I watch a lot of movies as well as gaming on the PC, in a relatively dark room so I know the Samsung's VA panel and contrast has the edge there. But for an extra £200 is it really worth it? Are IPS panels really as bad as people say in the dark? I know IPS glow pretty much has to be accepted I'm just worried it will be harmful to my eyes in a dark environment. Also would watching movies and such on the LG's IPS panel be tons worse than on the G7? This is such a hard choice but honestly I am leaning towards the LG simply because it is much cheaper yet seems similar performance wise. Cheers!

Caporegime
Hi, sorry for bumping this thread. I'm in this exact dilemma choosing between these 2 monitors!
I can get the g7 for £500 however the LG GP850 is on sale for £300 right now. That's nearly half the price of the Samsung! I watch a lot of movies as well as gaming on the PC, in a relatively dark room so I know the Samsung's VA panel and contrast has the edge there. But for an extra £200 is it really worth it? Are IPS panels really as bad as people say in the dark? I know IPS glow pretty much has to be accepted I'm just worried it will be harmful to my eyes in a dark environment. Also would watching movies and such on the LG's IPS panel be tons worse than on the G7? This is such a hard choice but honestly I am leaning towards the LG simply because it is much cheaper yet seems similar performance wise. Cheers!
(bolded part) Yes. See the GP850 thread here. My unit (and it appears everyone else's) has a terrible amount of glow in the bottom left. It's hugely distracting at night. I honestly hate it.

The reason I'm not returning it is, well, all the LG's appear the same, and the non-LGs are all more expensive, as I bought it for £300. £300 today is a budget screen, you see...

Although I'm going to live with it, I can't say I'm happy at all :(

Suffice is to say I won't be keeping this one any longer than necessary - when I can get a 32" 4K OLED for a reasonable price, I'll be kissing IPS goodbye forever.

All the arguments about IPS having good colours and viewing angles - it's all bullpoop when the IPS glow (or backlight bleed) distorts the picture and colours so badly.

Associate

I've been all over the internet today looking for a decent 28"+ monitor that is 1400p+ and a decent refresh rate. I settled on the LG 32GP850-B coz of the cheaper price and the great reviews.

That said, what I paid was around what my budget was, so for me I feel lucky to have paid £350 for a monitor that is a step up from that price range. If you can afford it, then from what I've seen on this thread the G7 is superior, that is if you can get over the aggressive curve.

How important is that extra £200 to you?

Back
Top Bottom