• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 5900x cooling

Associate
What best air cooler for a 5900x or do most people use an AIO.?

I have this cpu, first thing is take a look at any under volting or look at pbo curves with negative of set, this may help with the temps in your case.

Otherwise I went for the ek 360 basic, so far not seen above 65 degrees, but I also have 3x140 in take fans that have a optimised airflow fan curve to ensure fresh air is always available ( I have set all 3 to be at 1000 rpm until critical temps).

The other good aio is the one from artic

Associate
OP
Hi
Thanks all
My current pc has a suspect me so looks like I’ll need to upgrade. Got one more test to do to get it working then it’s a rebuild.

I was hoping that my current fan might be up to the job as otherwise I’ll need a bigger case to accommodate a taller fan. I think it’s going to be between the Noctua D15 or the Dark Rock

Associate
Just looked at a review (old one) and the load temp results of your cooler were about the same as a hyper 212 Evo (decent but budget cooler), so you would be asking a lot from it tbh. With my chip the NH-C14S let's it get to 85c max gaming (averages in the 70's) and is shown to be in the middle with load temps between yours and the d15. You could be lucky and get a cooler chip though. If I didn't come from custom loops cooling with a case that like yours doesn't allow for many options, I would definitely, like the others have suggested, gone for the dark rock pro or d15.
However doesn't hurt to see how your cooler handles it, do you have the am4 bracket or do you have to get noctua to send you one out?

Back
Top Bottom