• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Soldato
Currently running a 2070S here and not been willing to pay over the odds for a new GPU.

I can get a gaming laptop with 3yr onsite warranty with a 3060 for the same price as a 3080. It's a no brainer really.

PC gaming is almost dead.

Lol, the prices went up because there's a shortage of product, not because "PC gaming is almost dead".

GDDR6 and GDDR5X is coming down in price and so are the cost of other GPU components (along with a drop in demand from mining) so that will start to filter down to retail prices soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man £500 and below for a top of the range graphics card seems like a sweet distant memory. Watched prices slowly rise but what can you do? People with disposable income have accepted the prices and even encouraged it by buying.
Enthusiast pc building is becoming more and more of an elitist sub culture now.

I guess I'll stick to being a "mid range" gamer because I can't justify the cost of spending so much, do I need a pc capable of playing at 4k when I have never really experienced it? I'm still on 1080p and looking at the prices for a brand new full setup to accommodate 4k just seems nuts. My next jump will be 1440p I think, though by the time I can afford it I think 4k may even drop to mid range affordability.

edit: I remember considering upgrading my 980Ti when the 1080Ti came out, the marginal increase for the outlay wasn't worth it for me. Then the 2080 came out and I felt a little itch but again, the fps increase didn't seem great for the cost. Now the 3080 is around I would have considered it but now I need to upgrade everything on my PC.
If I went through the process of upgrading everything each generation of hardware from cpus to gpus then I could probably put a deposit down on a house. The performance increase just does not seem worth the cost. The current selection of games available just aren't doing it for me either.

Before the price gouging I could keep up with each new cpu/gpu release, from an enthusiast perspective I loved it. You could go on the forums and there would be many people in the same boat having genuine discussions about the hardware. Now when I look it seems dead, it's just the same few people arguing over what brand is better rather than people posting their tweaks and records or discussing how to squeeze performance out of the hardware.
it irks me a little when people use the term 'enthusiast' just because they throw money at hardware, they are not one and the same imo
as you say the forums used to be were discussions about the hardware, one might argue they were the 'enthusiasts'
heck when overclocking was a thing you would buy the cheaper product and get more performance out of it :D

Soldato
Depends if they want to gain some market share and also some good PR around the launch.

Cheap prices never allowed AMD to gain much market share though. Even when they had the fastest product. It proves that the average user prioritises the brand over price or performance. So I don't blame AMD for not bothering anymore.

Intel may try for the lower price approach but I doubt it will allow them to gain much more than 20% market share.

Soldato
AMD just undercut Nvidia by £50 though which isn't enough to make Nvidia buyers jump ship especially considering Nvidia have better RT and feature set.

Intel would need to be bolder and deliver prices £100 cheaper than what AMD and Nvidia are offering for similar performance at the mid to low end.

Soldato
Cheap prices never allowed AMD to gain much market share though. Even when they had the fastest product. It proves that the average user prioritises the brand over price or performance. So I don't blame AMD for not bothering anymore.

Intel may try for the lower price approach but I doubt it will allow them to gain much more than 20% market share.
Brand? Plenty of Intel fans would give them a chance I reckon.

Associate
When you factor in 50% back when you sell on, well, it softens the blow. Will I get £325 back on my 3080 next year, defo ;)
That's where a lot of people will come a cropper , because they have paid over inflated prices for these cards they are going to be in for a bit of a surprise when they try to sell them on.

Soldato
When you factor in 50% back when you sell on, well, it softens the blow. Will I get £325 back on my 3080 next year, defo ;)

That is why i splashed out on a shiny new 30 series FE card instead of the usual used 3 year old cards i buy. Will hold value well this time IMO. The hassle and expense many have gone to for 30 series cards will stay in the memory i think and it could even be near 2 years before 50% drop for anyone who paid MRSP.
Mid 2023 3080 for £300 odd quid, yes i can see it in my crystal ball lol

Soldato
That is why i splashed out on a shiny new 30 series FE card instead of the usual used 3 year old cards i buy. Will hold value well this time IMO. The hassle and expense many have gone to for 30 series cards will stay in the memory i think and it could even be near 2 years before 50% drop for anyone who paid MRSP.
Mid 2023 3080 for £300 odd quid, yes i can see it in my crystal ball lol
That depends on how fast the next series of cards are when they arrive and obviously price/availability, you'll certainly be in a better position than people who paid scalped prices or those who bought those £3000 RTX3090s which will probably be worth £600 by the end of next year.

Soldato
Before the 30 series and msrp details were released last year, I'd budgeted about 1k for a top end GPU based on the ridiculous prices of the 2080Ti.

Coming from a1080 Ti, I managed to get lucky and bag a release day 3080 at msrp, which after 9 months of gaming I've just sold for profit that's been put towards an upgrade to a msrp 3090FE I bagged in the drop other day.

Can't grumble at having a 3090 in my rig, without it costing the earth! But I think I've been very lucky considering the gpu climate for the last 9 months.

Soldato
Before the 30 series and msrp details were released last year, I'd budgeted about 1k for a top end GPU based on the ridiculous prices of the 2080Ti.

Coming from a1080 Ti, I managed to get lucky and bag a release day 3080 at msrp, which after 9 months of gaming I've just sold for profit that's been put towards an upgrade to a msrp 3090FE I bagged in the drop other day.

Can't grumble at having a 3090 in my rig, without it costing the earth! But I think I've been very lucky considering the gpu climate for the last 9 months.

That's some good going. I have done something similar on a smaller scale with selling my first 3060 Ti to offset the cost of a 3080. My second 3060 Ti is going to family for less than I paid though.

Soldato
As bizarre as it sounds, (due to the current climate) both myself and the chap who's bought my 3080 are happy punters. He got a great card less than current market value, and I got a 3090 without paying msrp. How crazy is that!

Associate
The cycle just becomes a bit longer, instead of buying a card just released one wait for next generation to come out and then buy previous generation card cheaper.
Mining does not help btw for the market prices.
so I suspect I wait for 2022 whenever next gen is coming.
Its also not going to be cheap as AMD and Nvidia stop selling cards below $300 atm

Back
Top Bottom