1st Time watercooling need advice/help

Associate
Hey Everyone

I havent built myself a pc in quite a long time but im thinking of starting with some watercooling in my build im currently speccing. I will only be custom loop cooling the gfx card as Im looking to get the nzxt z73 aio for the cpu.

Current spec to date:-
5950 with Kraken z73
corsair vengenace 3600
Aorus x570s Mobo
Be quiet Silent base 802
Be quiet PSU
Lian li Al120 fans(probably replace the kraken fans with them too and included system fans)

Now the GPU I havent really made a final decision on yet but it will either be AIO gfx card or possibly a gfx prepped for custom water loop. Depending on maybe cost and answers in this thread could sway it either way.

My question/s are:-
is just the gfx card open cooling a good idea or open wc both?
What parts would ppl recommend for the loop?
My current thinking is AIO gfx is simpler but cant replace fluid later on and a custom loop might be trickier to build but easier to maintain and maybe last longer?

My head is absolutely spinning from all the info Im reading about this and I think im more anxious than when I decided to do it lol.

I will more than likely use soft tubing as being my 1st custom loop but no idea what pump/reservoir/fittings etc I should be paying most attention too.

Thanks for any help or advice you give in advance it will be taken on board and hopefully help me make a final decision.

Thx FrostFox

Associate
Soft tubing is perfectly fine and looks nice. The EK 13/10 stuff is really fantastic to work with and very clear. I have also used 2 other brands and both were softer and had slight tinges of colour that I only noticed when compared to the EK soft tubing.

This is mean to be enjoyable, not stressful. If you already have an AIO for your CPU then I would probably recommend either a AIO for your GPU as well, or a GPU only open loop for now. You can always add components to an open loop later.

AIO is going to be much cheaper. You can see Alphacool sell AIO GPU kits with integrated pumps. Or you can buy a model that has it all set up and ready to go.

But if you want the looks or the cooling performance of an open loop with multiple radiators and good quality fans, then just go for it and enjoy the experience.

I have a full custom open loop with a monoblock motherboard cooling a i9, and then an Alphacool block on my RTX 3080, all feeding to an external 9x120mm monster radiator. Why? Because I could and because I love the industrial look. Was it economic? Hell no!!!!

Associate
If you're going to go to the expense of a custom loop then definitely cool both the cpu and gpu with it. There's no point in getting a pump, res, rad etc and then buying another full set for your other component.

That being said, hewligan isn't wrong in that aio will be cheaper. It depends on your budget (including blocks you're looking at >£500 for a custom loop) and how much you want to be able to customise.

The advantage of spending the money now is that you can re-use forever, where AIO's are harder (at least for gpu's) to make use of down the line. I've been using my very first D5/res combo for nearly 10 years now, it doesn't owe me anything!

Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom