The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Hi

I have one of these monitors and I recently noticed some dark spots, towards the middle of the screen.
Maybe it has always been there, I thought it was dirty but it really isn't, it's just not as bright as other parts of the monitor and now that I noticed I will never be able to unnotice it.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Anyway to correct it?

Soldato
mine died Thursday night,
Was setting up my desk and plugged my 3 monitors back in it came on worked fine for 20 then went black.

After allot of playing (was assuming it was drivers or a cable etc) it is officially weird,

When you power it on the Phillips splash screen comes up so the panel is working.
However the screen then goes black, OSD doesn't come up when you try and select an input, settings etc.
I have tried DP, HDMI and mini DP all nothing at any rez or any source (laptop, PC and Xbox one).

Anyway I phoned Phillips up and they said it has a 3 year warranty (which was news to me) but hes not sure if i'm covered.

I doubt i am cause i didn't by the monitor in the UK but im going through the motions and I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

mof

mof

Associate
Can anyone tell me which kettle lead to use with this monitor? How many amps? Thanks

Edit: I've found in the manual it says it's a 13A plug with a 5A fuse

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all, seeing as this thread is resurrected :)

I love my BDM4065UC, it's getting on 3 years old now and I'm still happy with it.

I'm just wondering if there's a step up out yet? I still like 16:9 format, 4K and 40 inches, but I'm wondering if anyone's upgraded or considering a new TV/monitor coming out this year?

Soldato
Hey all, seeing as this thread is resurrected :)

I love my BDM4065UC, it's getting on 3 years old now and I'm still happy with it.

I'm just wondering if there's a step up out yet? I still like 16:9 format, 4K and 40 inches, but I'm wondering if anyone's upgraded or considering a new TV/monitor coming out this year?
Not a cheap replacement no. I sold my Phillips 4065 a few months ago got a 49 HDTV instead.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31444614

Buy a decent HDTV to use as a PC monitor is way cheaper right now (about half the cost). Not perfect but for the money the best choice. PC monitors are always dearer & right now the prices are approaching all time highs yet decent HDTVs are plummeting.

Associate
For anyone that had their BDM4065UC replaced by Philips, I'm a bit confused with their RMA process.

I've raised a support ticket with them and they agreed to swap the screen out with a newer model, however the support ticket is now closed and I've not heard anything since, can anyone enlighten me? Thx.

Associate
Well took delivery of my replacement screen today - direct from Philips, courtesy of UPS - I knew it wasn't going to go well after seeing footprints on the box......

Note: this replacement is nothing to do with OcUK

ilzYPGV.jpg

bC9LLqm.jpg

Associate
So I'm sitting in front of my monitor and I hear water vaporizing. I look around and see steam coming out of my monitor from the back, towards the right. My power supply gave out a little after a year of use with this monitor. This monitor has no light bleed, good angles, rich colors, deep contrast, and good gaming effects with no ghosting. I wasn't about to give up on this monitor that easily.

I suspected the problem was the power supply, so I looked up a power supply and took a chance ordering one from ebay. I replaced my old supply with the new one and haven't had a problem since. But I'm not stopping there. I'm replacing my new board's capacitors with a different brand of capacitors.

When I inspected my old board, I saw that two, 2 inch long capacitors on the board were puffed at the end. A puffed capacitor means its no longer a working capacitor. I went back to ebay and searched for some Aluminum Electrolytic(LM)capacitors for replacing the ones my new board came with. The new board came with the same branded capacitors the old board used. I ordered Rubycon (LM)capacitors as they hold a good reputation. Once they get here, I'll remove my new board and replace the capacitors with the Rubycons. And while I'm at it, I'll also replace the old board's capacitors with the new Rubycons.

The new capacitor rating is 450V 68uf by Rubycon.
Hi Saloei,

I have the same monitor for just over 3 years and recently it started flickering every now and then and few times it turned off completely (power LED was still on, but screen went completely black). I suspect it is PSU capacitors issue as well.

Any chance you have somewhere list of capacitors you've replaced somewhere? I'd rather order them first and then open the bloody thing.

Thanks

Caporegime
I'm still using this screen and very happy with it. No issues so far apart from the occasional DP handshake issues causing the screen to display garbled graphics momentarily.

I guess this is sorted with HDMI 2 graphics cards, but I need to use DP to get 4K @ 60Hz on my GTX970.

Anyway what colour settings are people using? Any advances on these from the tftcentral review?

RGB 100, 99, 84
Gamma 2.2
Brightness - I ignored the 34 recommended on tftcentral as this was ridiculously dark. I have mine blasted to 100 (personal preference).

I also created an ICC profile for Windows 10 colour management, something I've never bothered with before.

Associate
I've had this monitor for close to 3 years (bought in Feb 2016) and for about a year it's been dead: upon switching it on, it would display a picture for a couple seconds (on a good day) before going blank. Most likely the same capacitor issue as many others reported earlier in this thread which I've been following on-and-off for a while now.

It started around the summer of 2017 with a minor flicker, so I thought nothing of it and put it down to heat. For a few months after that it worked perfectly fine until last year when it became completely unusable.

On the offchance that it'd still be in warranty (this page gives it 3 years) I gave Philips a ring on Monday. To my surprise, within 10 minutes of calling, the whole thing was pretty much sorted... Almost. It took an hour for their ticket system to show them the proof of purchase I'd uploaded, but we got there in the end.

I now supposedly have a replacement on the way, but I have no idea what it'll be, or even if it'll be something new vs "refurbished". They say the courier will pick up the faulty unit at the same time, but I don't have a shipping label either - just the packing label with product ID, serial number and RMA number. I know others have been lucky enough to keep theirs, but who knows whether the courier will have a return label or not.

At this point, it's long since discontinued so the replacement can't possibly be the same model... can it? I mostly just hope I don't end up with a repeat of some horror stories from this thread. Only time will tell! If it weren't for the warranty I'd open it up and replace the caps myself. Who knows, maybe they won't want it back and I can do that anyway... touch wood.

tl;dr: If you have one of these monitors and it's still (barely) within 36 months of purchase date, give them a call. I put it off for months expecting to be thrown around between a bunch of departments, repeating the same thing over and over etc., but so far it's been relatively painless.

Associate
Good result and customer service, you're 'new' unit will likely have a big label stating a return unit must be collected at the point of delivery. It deffo won't be the same model, probably a 43" model or whatever is current, but it will be a refurbished unit, but you won't be able to tell.

Associate
probably a 43" model
Spot on! Got an email minutes ago after they finally realised they don't have it in stock (surprise surprise! It's only been discontinued 2 years...)
They've suggested the BDM4350UC as a replacement. Not sure I'm a massive fan of the stand on it, but that's nothing a VESA mount can't fix some time in the future.

it will be a refurbished unit, but you won't be able to tell.
That's good then. I don't mind a refurb as long as it's not covered in scratches etc.. Mine is still in mint condition, short of the fault and a bit of dust

Edit: Just called back to accept the replacement, got straight through again. She says it could be any service centre and sometimes you get a tracking number, other times you don't. She won't be working tomorrow, but offered to check on Monday in case it hasn't been delivered. Certainly can't fault the support!

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all, just came across this rather large thread. Many people still rockin these monitors? I love em!! Have 3 of them.
My only gripe is the HDMI 1.4. With DP1.2, the cable has to be a good one otherwise they tend to blank out randomly from time to time and drop back to 30hz.

I did manage to find a work around.....if you OC the refresh rate to 65hz. They stop doing it. Also make sure you have the Philips driver installed, not the generic PNP Windows Driver.

Cheers!

IMG_20180504_140701.jpg

Caporegime
I did manage to find a work around.....if you OC the refresh rate to 65hz. They stop doing it. Also make sure you have the Philips driver installed, not the generic PNP Windows Driver.

I'm still running this screen and I still think it's great.

Interested about the overclock and Philips drivers. I'm running at default 60Hz over DP with default Windows drivers. What's the best way to overclock these screens then?

Caporegime
Hey guys

Sorry to bump this, but my screen's backlight finally failed last month and I (kind of unfortunately, as I wanted an LG OLED instead) fixed it, so I'm posting here to share the info in case anyone else is still running one of these.

My screen had been getting dimmer and dimmer and finally would only briefly display an image, before going completely black.

I was about to take it to the tip when I decided to do some Googling to see if anyone had brought these back from the dead.

£13, a trip to Ali Express, and 2 weeks later and I've installed 4 x new LED backlight strips inside it and the screen is as good as the first day I had it.

Fairly simple job. I tested the LEDs with a multimeter and at least one LED had died from each original strip, which since they're wired in series on a row caused the whole bank to die.

Details are on Reddit https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw36EUKQxtUhfNzj7J2NlfF1 and an Australian overclockers forum https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/philips-bdm4065uc-40-4k-60hz.1150593/page-84.

Associate
I noticed dark patches middle of screen then my monitor died on me. We really need decent 10 year guarantees on these things I'm sick of having to continually replace stuff that lasts just beyond its warranty period.

Associate
Hey guys

Sorry to bump this, but my screen's backlight finally failed last month and I (kind of unfortunately, as I wanted an LG OLED instead) fixed it, so I'm posting here to share the info in case anyone else is still running one of these.

My screen had been getting dimmer and dimmer and finally would only briefly display an image, before going completely black.

I was about to take it to the tip when I decided to do some Googling to see if anyone had brought these back from the dead.

£13, a trip to Ali Express, and 2 weeks later and I've installed 4 x new LED backlight strips inside it and the screen is as good as the first day I had it.

Fairly simple job. I tested the LEDs with a multimeter and at least one LED had died from each original strip, which since they're wired in series on a row caused the whole bank to die.

Details are on Reddit https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw36EUKQxtUhfNzj7J2NlfF1 and an Australian overclockers forum https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/philips-bdm4065uc-40-4k-60hz.1150593/page-84.
Oh dude you're a legend mine just went but willing to give this a go!

Associate
Hi

I have one of these monitors and I recently noticed some dark spots, towards the middle of the screen.
Maybe it has always been there, I thought it was dirty but it really isn't, it's just not as bright as other parts of the monitor and now that I noticed I will never be able to unnotice it.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Anyway to correct it?
I had the same thing in late June, dark patches mid screen then screen died about two weeks later. I have replacement LED backlights on order and am going to try and fix it. $15.90 seems a small price if I can fix it.

Associate
Just an update I started 'fixing' my screen with replacement LED lights which arrived promptly and the fix was going fine apart from Mr idiot here managing to crack the screen with enthusiastic bending to unclip from the bezel backing. The LEDs fitted perfectly BUT the screen glass is super fragile and won't tolerate any degree of bending. So if you're trying the cheap and relatively easy fix outlined above then BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE GLASS SCREEN AT ALL! It's OLED for me next but still wish I hadn't been quite so hasty.

Back
Top Bottom