Shorts and no tie at a wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
"Brings it on himself." "Fair game."

You're a lovely person, aren't you? As someone else said, you could be Psycho Sonny in disguise. You have the same high opinion of yourself, and a belief that you can mock others righteously from your perch atop success mountain.
Hang on, I thought @Dis86 wasn't successful by your standards?
Now I'm confused.

Caporegime
Hang on, I thought @Dis86 wasn't successful by your standards?
Now I'm confused.
Now where did I say that? I never once said he was or wasn't successful. I made no claim about that.

I actually said he should stop putting other people down based on his own views of what people should do with their lives.

He was the one saying that if you live at home you are a failure (etc).

How you managed to turn that around and claim I was the one judging him, is anyone's guess. Maybe read the thread again?

e: I did say that reading him list his successes (by his own criteria) was a bit cringe, in the same way it's a bit cringe when anyone starts claiming success or greatness. "Multiple premium cars" etc :p

And then you and others started chiming in to say that's how people generally define success, with wealth and cars and jobs ranking highly on the list. And that he was for sure a successful guy.

So the judgement is all from you guys, really. I'm quite happy to say I don't like him, but I don't pretend he doesn't meet your (and others) definition of success.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now where did I say that? I never once said he was or wasn't successful. I made no claim about that.

I actually said he should stop putting other people down based on his own views of what people should do with their lives.

He was the one saying that if you live at home you are a failure (etc).

How you managed to turn that around and claim I was the one judging him, is anyone's guess. Maybe read the thread again?

e: I did say that reading him list his successes (by his own criteria) was a bit cringe, in the same way it's a bit cringe when anyone starts claiming success or greatness. "Multiple premium cars" etc :p

And then you and others started chiming in to say that's how people generally define success, with wealth and cars and jobs ranking highly on the list. And that he was for sure a successful guy.

So the judgement is all from you guys, really. I'm quite happy to say I don't like him, but I don't pretend he doesn't meet your (and others) definition of success.
How do you define success?

Caporegime
How do you define success?
I don't worry about it.

Although not being a pawn/peon in a system that just extracts as much from the workers as possible before tossing them on the scrapheap, would be a start. Not paying somebody else's mortgage for them. Not being part of the damn rat race.

In truth I don't want most of what society offers us and tells us we should have or aspire to. I see everything as a trap. Because most of it is.

Success is hard to define and mostly intangible, but I aspire to go my own way, do my own thing, and not give a **** about what anybody else thinks. That may not be success but I like to stick two fingers up to everybody telling me what I should do.

Hang on, so Foxeye and Dis86 are real people?!

I had assumed that they posted so much, they were some AI (without the I) bot… :p;)
They say you are what you eat. Given I'm currently finishing off a tube of Pringles, I'm as artificial as they come. (They're also really disgusting and I'm annoyed with myself for buying them.)

Soldato
I don't worry about it.

Although not being a pawn/peon in a system that just extracts as much from the workers as possible before tossing them on the scrapheap, would be a start. Not paying somebody else's mortgage for them. Not being part of the damn rat race.

In truth I don't want most of what society offers us and tells us we should have or aspire to. I see everything as a trap. Because most of it is.

Success is hard to define and mostly intangible, but I aspire to go my own way, do my own thing, and not give a **** about what anybody else thinks. That may not be success but I like to stick two fingers up to everybody telling me what I should do.
Explains a lot and sufficiently vague, thank you.

Soldato
I aspire to go my own way, do my own thing, and not give a **** about what anybody else thinks.

I think this is the bit most people struggle with, when for most people 'go my own way and do my own thing' is generally triggered by making the step of moving out of the parental home into their own home.

Soldato
I don't worry about it.

You are really living your best life and sticking it to the man by working in the public sector and living in your Dad's spare room.

Caporegime
Explains a lot and sufficiently vague, thank you.
Well just take weddings in general. We're told that you should spend (tens of) thousands on them, have 100s of guests, in an audacious display of wealth.

I admire the people who say **** that, and have a quiet wedding with only a couple people. No pomp, no ceremoney, no flashy display of wealth (or putting everything on the credit card, eh).

Modern life is 95% dictated to us either by feeling the need to keep up with the Jones's or peer pressure or meeting other people's expectations. How many of us just do what we want?

Caporegime
I think this is the bit most people struggle with, when for most people 'go my own way and do my own thing' is generally triggered by making the step of moving out of the parental home into their own home.
You are really living your best life and sticking it to the man by working in the public sector and living in your Dad's spare room.
It wouldn't be my own home. It would be a rented place and it would eat 75% of my income. I would be subject to eviction at a moment's notice.

That would really be sticking it to the man by paying off somebody else's mortgage eh?

Caporegime
Well just take weddings in general. We're told that you should spend (tens of) thousands on them, have 100s of guests, in an audacious display of wealth.

I admire the people who say **** that, and have a quiet wedding with only a couple people. No pomp, no ceremoney, no flashy display of wealth (or putting everything on the credit card, eh).

Modern life is 95% dictated to us either by feeling the need to keep up with the Jones's or peer pressure or meeting other people's expectations. How many of us just do what we want?

Do what makes you happy but if you are happy enough to accept a wedding invitation then don't protest about the etiquette at people paying for your meal on their wedding day. It's not the time or place to stick it to the man.

Soldato
It wouldn't be my own home. It would be a rented place and it would eat 75% of my income. I would be subject to eviction at a moment's notice.

That would really be sticking it to the man by paying off somebody else's mortgage eh?
Presumably you've saved up a fortune by living in your Dad's spare room? Why not do the @moon man man? He's probably one of the most successful on the forum (aside from his slight drink affliction :p). Living in an expensive place, in Cornwall, planning on doing 3 days a week, and spends his free time collecting drift wood.

Caporegime
Presumably you've saved up a fortune by living in your Dad's spare room? Why not do the @moon man man? He's probably one of the most successful on the forum (aside from his slight drink affliction :p). Living in an expensive place, in Cornwall, planning on doing 3 days a week, and spends his free time collecting drift wood.
A fortune? I wish. Nobody saves up a fortune down here, lol. But no, I'm not sitting on a fortune.

If I moved out I'd be renting and that would be ~75% of my pay. So you do the math.

e: Also the @moon man strategy is to get lucky finding a grossly under-valued property everywhere he goes. Believe he said he picked up a 3-bedroom place for £100k, and that was some years ago.

Good luck finding that kind of property with any kind of regularity. Luck is not really a strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom