*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
My contract finished last month, kept the sky box to see if they offer anything. Just rang and was offered £37 for everything inc Sky Signature , Kids, HD/Ultra HD, Movies, Sport and Sky go Extra plus I asked if I could have the new sky q HDR and i was told yes. Well happy

Stu

Stu

Soldato
My contract finished last month, kept the sky box to see if they offer anything. Just rang and was offered £37 for everything inc Sky Signature , Kids, HD/Ultra HD, Movies, Sport and Sky go Extra plus I asked if I could have the new sky q HDR and i was told yes. Well happy
Broadband too?

Associate
“AND IT’S LIVE!” Sky Q offers HDR for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and the Premier League

I don't have SkyQ currently - what have the eurosport feeds been like ?

Is it exclusively live ? or can you record it too
Above report says they have 200 hours in uhd, so is the sport selection limited ? ( climbing and bmx would be good to see)

I'd give it a distinct meh. Sport just doesn't really benefit from HDR IMHO. Well implemented HDR can only be done by a professional grader on a shot by shot basis - live stuff just has a bit of a colour gamut boost and I've seen nothing that's made me go 'wow that looks amazing.'
You can record stuff - it's a bit of a faff finding it in the Sky Q menus (nothing new there then) but it is possible.

Soldato
I'd give it a distinct meh.
that's disappointing .. I'd read comments about flakey audio commentary on these olympics uhd/4k channels, but, surprisingly, no one commenting on image quality (good or bad)
whether eurosport grade the shots -
I haven't googled the usa to see if they have a better opinion from their feed, or the 8K in Japan.

I thought some of the f1 & football was using hdr, so there should be some experience, but maybe it is mostly just sdr gamut @4K.

Associate
that's disappointing .. I'd read comments about flakey audio commentary on these olympics uhd/4k channels, but, surprisingly, no one commenting on image quality (good or bad)
I haven't googled the usa to see if they have a better opinion from their feed, or the 8K in Japan.

I thought some of the f1 & football was using hdr, so there should be some experience, but maybe it is mostly just sdr gamut @4K.

I don't personally watch a lot of sport but I was intrigued to see how the Olympics looked as it was the first live sport Sky were broadcasting via Eurosport in HDR. It really isn't anything special. It's fine. Just fine. I'm sure on a big screen with lots of people watching they'd go 'oooh innit pretty?' but a 4K HLG feed of some people running about in a stadium or some yachts on a moderately choppy sea can't really be compared to a properly graded movie in Dolby Vision or HDR10 - that's the kind of HDR that makes you go 'wow'.

Soldato

I thought some of the f1 & football was using hdr, so there should be some experience, but maybe it is mostly just sdr gamut @4K.[/QUOT

Unless you are lucky enough to be a newish Sky subsciber, you won't get get anything in HDR unless you want to cough up for a new box. In times gone past, i could understand that reasoning, because as the customer, you owned the box. With Sky Q though, Sky own the box, therefore you are renting the box.
They still insist though that to get an HDR capable box, you have to buy it from them. I wish that some crusading legal mind would put their mind to this crap and sort it out. In other words, why would you pay for a service you can't get because the box is so old it's not capable of receiving that service that any new customer would get by default. At the same time time, Sky want to charge an existing customer to "upgrade" to a box that replaces a box they are "renting" from Sky in the first place.

Associate
Unless you are lucky enough to be a newish Sky subsciber, you won't get get anything in HDR unless you want to cough up for a new box. In times gone past, i could understand that reasoning, because as the customer, you owned the box. With Sky Q though, Sky own the box, therefore you are renting the box.
They still insist though that to get an HDR capable box, you have to buy it from them. I wish that some crusading legal mind would put their mind to this crap and sort it out. In other words, why would you pay for a service you can't get because the box is so old it's not capable of receiving that service that any new customer would get by default. At the same time time, Sky want to charge an existing customer to "upgrade" to a box that replaces a box they are "renting" from Sky in the first place.
You don’t ‘buy’ the HDR box from Sky, you are charged a £25 (1TB) or £50 (2TB) ‘upgrade fee’ - Sky still own it and want it back at the end of your contract.

Soldato
You don’t ‘buy’ the HDR box from Sky, you are charged a £25 (1TB) or £50 (2TB) ‘upgrade fee’ - Sky still own it and want it back at the end of your contract.

Semantics is being played with here by Sky. If i rented a car or anything else for that matter, after the rental period was up............they take it back. You know as well as i do Sky never take it back.............so it's only a "rental" as long as it suits them. During my time with Sky, which is 16 years the only gripe i have had is being charged for a Sky Q HDR box. Call it an "upgrade" if you like, i'm still paying the same as any new customer that has been given an HDR box, so why do have i have to pay for the "privilege" of exactly the same rental terms as them ?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Semantics is being played with here by Sky. If i rented a car or anything else for that matter, after the rental period was up............they take it back. You know as well as i do Sky never take it back.............so it's only a "rental" as long as it suits them. During my time with Sky, which is 16 years the only gripe i have had is being charged for a Sky Q HDR box. Call it an "upgrade" if you like, i'm still paying the same as any new customer that has been given an HDR box, so why do have i have to pay for the "privilege" of exactly the same rental terms as them ?

I'm coming to end of contract and leaving Sky this week, and they've sent a couple of emails about returning equipment, and fees for non-return. Obviously waiting to see if they actually send me the packaging used for the return.

Soldato
I'm coming to end of contract and leaving Sky this week, and they've sent a couple of emails about returning equipment, and fees for non-return. Obviously waiting to see if they actually send me the packaging used for the return.
They will do. I cancelled last month as I wasnt getting a decent renewal deal. Suddenly they then offered me a much better deal so I renewed. But the had already posted the returns packaging for the Q and mini and the router.

When I moved home a few months ago they sent me the newer Q router as well as return packing for the old router. So they will definitely want it back.

Associate
I agree - it’s ridiculous. I didn’t pay for the ‘upgrade’, I reported a fault with my original box and happened to get the HDR capable box as a replacement. No fee. Oh and if you don’t return the box at the end of your contract it becomes nothing more than an expensive doorstop. They can’t be used for Freesat. Without an active Sky subscription they’re effectively useless and certainly not worth the £150 non return fee.

Associate
Same here.
Yup. That was the way to do it. Sky have clamped down on the ability to order a replacement box via the website due to so many people doing it. (May have something to do with the lack of HDR capable boxes at the moment too!) You now have to ring them or live chat if you want a doorstep replacement via courier. Even then, there's no guarantee what kind of box you'll get - it's supposed to be a like for like replacement but recent reports on the Sky Community forums show that some people have had their faulty UHD box swapped for a non-UHD box, and others who've paid the £50 fee and been sent multiple non-HDR capable boxes. Sky just don't have a clue what they're sending out. Their advisers are clueless when it comes to HDR. They've only just about got their heads round the difference between HD & UHD so HDR is just a bit beyond most of them.

Soldato
Frankly I’m amazed SKY haven’t tried to charge £10 a month for HDR in addition to the UHD charge, or made it so only a special new box can play it with a special new remote that has an HDR button on it. :cry:

Man of Honour
Nothing Sky does amazes me. I'm going to try out a Humax box and also a Freeview box in the next month or so and I'll just watch the F1 highlights next season. They're a complete ripoff for what they offer considering they used to apparently be market leaders. Unless they offer me a substantial discount I'll be rid of them when my contract ends in January.

Back
Top Bottom