What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
The power of labelling. Imagine there are two identical pairs of socks. Same colour, same size, same shape, same everything. One is labelled "men's" and one is labelled "women's". Is that different labelling of an identical product really enough to make it important which pair a person wears?

It's not so much the labelling but rather the differences in style and size with men's and women's watches in general. It's not like you walk around with a label on your watch saying "men's" or "women's" so the analogy re: labels on otherwise identical socks is a bit moot.

Having said that some women will buy men's watches, actress Helen Mirren does this for example. I think if someone was really into mechanical watches in terms of the technical aspects, complications etc.. then they'd perhaps have more choice among men's watches whereas women's watches tend to be more just jewellery items.

The same watch is also labelled "unisex", by the way. Does that make a difference to how you perceive it? What if I decided to label it "men's"? Would that make a difference to how you perceive it? If labelling is all that matters, does it matter who labels it?

No, not quite, the same watch isn't also labelled unisex but rather a larger version of it (I guess the general design itself is), you get a different watch of the same style if you click on unisex - the case goes from 27mm to 36mm and the width of the band increases too.

for reference, this is what a 26mm watch look like on someone's wrist:

x7TLBwu.jpg

Women's watches tend to be smaller and have thinner straps, you wouldn't need a label to see that the above is a "women's" watch.

Now below are 36mm, 40mm and 44mm watches. Lots of men's watches are 40mm+ these days so you can see why 36mm might be chosen as the size for a more unisex watch:

ZkWOxT8.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Only the 36mm on that wrist suits. The other too look way to big and ridiculous. This is why 34mm+ has always been what men wore since the early days of wrist watches. If the lugs overhang the wrist, the watch is too big, get something smaller. The only time this looks nice actually is on a woman, which is why many women wear men's watches because of the "Look".

Ultimately user preference, but like wearing a well fitting suit, some aspects also apply to men's watches in the "fit" and how it ultimately looks.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You are posting on a forum, what's the issue :p

I am flying around all over Hampshire tomorrow so naturally will be wearing one of my pilot watches. Question is though RAF or Flieger...

Caporegime
Ultimately user preference, but like wearing a well fitting suit, some aspects also apply to men's watches in the "fit" and how it ultimately looks.

Yup, fo sure though the trend these days does seem to be for larger cases. I think 26mm or 27mm is a tad on the small side for a guy which is the size of the watch the other poster was linking to.

Man of Honour
It's not so much the labelling but rather the differences in style and size with men's and women's watches in general. It's not like you walk around with a label on your watch saying "men's" or "women's" so the analogy re: labels on otherwise identical socks is a bit moot.

In some cases is the same style, as in the example I showed. So the analogy of labels on otherwise identical socks applies in some cases.

In a larger sense, style is also a matter of labelling. There's no such thing as a sexed watch. Not really. A gendered watch, yes, but that's also just a matter of labelling. Maybe at some point in the future smaller watches will be deemed masculine and larger watches will be deemed feminine. Or watch size will stop being gendered. Fashions change.

No, not quite, the same watch isn't also labelled unisex but rather a larger version of it (I guess the general design itself is), you get a different watch of the same style if you click on unisex - the case goes from 27mm to 36mm and the width of the band increases too.

I missed that. Hmm...I wonder what size I ordered? I searched through cheap watches on Amazon and found it that way rather than using the link I posted before, so I don't know what the size was. Ah well, I'll find out in a couple of days. As long as the strap fits my wrist, it's fine.

Soldato
What style are you after? NATO, rubber, single pass etc? I've had loads but ultimately my favourite are natural rubber two piece now from Hirsch in the Pure range. You'll need to either transfer the buckle over or buy a new Hamilton buckle like I did if the taper is not the sa! size
Singlepass ideally, prefer that style with the watch, just was feeling a different colouring/NATO styling.

Soldato
That's a shame, sounds like you're not really connected with it though. It's about as versatile as a piece can come! I wouldn't worry about the hesalite scratching, buff all but the worst out. I thought I'd be seeing micro scratches by now but 3 months of ownership with constant wear but still all good.
You inspired me so I dug out the box and threw the NATO on. I am a bit smitten now.

3zz4zqL.jpeg

Associate
New lens to fiddle with so I thought I'd take a few (bad) photos. This thing really shows any small scratches or muck left on the watches though. I'll have to clean them properly if I ever try and take anything proper.

I do still love that sunburst dial on the Seiko, even if I'm slowly battering it to death.

mtryoV6.jpg
IKMZ99h.jpg

zKzv89x.jpg

k7LljBZ.jpg

Soldato
Nice @dLockers. I need to get mine off the bracelet again I think!

I like that Junghans, @Parsley. Max Bill. It's on my want list and I think I'd choose it over a Nomos. I'm not crazy about the can case shape of Nomos. Damn Junghans for using coating on the top of the plexi crystal, very frustrating! So polywatch is a no go on it. Unless you carefully remove the coating.. but it seems replacement crystals are very cheap.

Associate
Nice @dLockers. I need to get mine off the bracelet again I think!

I like that Junghans, @Parsley. Max Bill. It's on my want list and I think I'd choose it over a Nomos. I'm not crazy about the can case shape of Nomos. Damn Junghans for using coating on the top of the plexi crystal, very frustrating! So polywatch is a no go on it. Unless you carefully remove the coating.. but it seems replacement crystals are very cheap.

Some of them will take a sapphire glass (I'm sure I remember mine being able to take one). You can either buy it with it or ask them to send one out. I'm not sure about fitting but I know they exist!

Just the first link I found for proof of existence :D.

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/junghans-max-bill-automatic-sapphire-glass-027470002-p-58066/

Quartz as well.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produ...rystal-41-4817-02?_pos=4&_sid=bb00e1763&_ss=r

Soldato
New lens to fiddle with so I thought I'd take a few (bad) photos. This thing really shows any small scratches or muck left on the watches though. I'll have to clean them properly if I ever try and take anything proper.

I do still love that sunburst dial on the Seiko, even if I'm slowly battering it to death.

mtryoV6.jpg
IKMZ99h.jpg

zKzv89x.jpg

k7LljBZ.jpg

It's always nice to see another Junghans owner.

The OH treated me to a Max Bill Chronoscope last summer. I absolutely love wearing it.

uc

uc

uc

uc

Associate
The Max Bill surprised me with how much of a strap monster it is. You've come to the same conclusion I see! I do like that chronoscope, what a lovely gift! I was tempted myself although I went with the Meister S, I love the dial :D.

Soldato
Some of them will take a sapphire glass (I'm sure I remember mine being able to take one). You can either buy it with it or ask them to send one out. I'm not sure about fitting but I know they exist!

Just the first link I found for proof of existence :D.

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/junghans-max-bill-automatic-sapphire-glass-027470002-p-58066/

Quartz as well.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produ...rystal-41-4817-02?_pos=4&_sid=bb00e1763&_ss=r

Ah cool I had a feeling they did it sapphire. Only thing is I think it loses out on the dome of the crystal and warmth. They are lovely pieces and coating or not, the Max Bill is definitely on my want list.

Hnnnnnnng.

I'm currently savings some pennies to treat myself to a Speedmaster Pro once I complete my ACCA training, hopefully in around 6 months.

@2StepSteve did you buy yours new or used? if used do you have any tips for when the time comes? (excuse the pun)

No I bought it new. The 1861 model is already going for silly money used. Typical sellers, jacking up prices for a discontinued model. I don't think the higher cost of the new model helps things.

Soldato
No I bought it new. The 1861 model is already going for silly money used. Typical sellers, jacking up prices for a discontinued model. I don't think the higher cost of the new model helps things.
Ah, I'm slightly concerned that in 6 months the prices will be even more silly. I would entertain a new old model if I could find one, but not sure I'd want to pay over list for it. When the numbers start beginning with a 4 it does make me think maybe I should be looking at other options! The Speedie has always been the one I'd like to get from about 8 years ago when I first looked, but at that time you could still get one for £2.Xk :(

Caporegime
Ah, I'm slightly concerned that in 6 months the prices will be even more silly. I would entertain a new old model if I could find one, but not sure I'd want to pay over list for it. When the numbers start beginning with a 4 it does make me think maybe I should be looking at other options! The Speedie has always been the one I'd like to get from about 8 years ago when I first looked, but at that time you could still get one for £2.Xk :(
Considering buying on Chrono24. Omegas generally (barring very specific and exclusive models) lose value the moment you buy them so why not let someone else take the depreciation hit? :)

Soldato
Ring your AD. I got mine for less than £4k because they wanted to clear way for the new movement version.

Soldato
The Max Bill surprised me with how much of a strap monster it is. You've come to the same conclusion I see! I do like that chronoscope, what a lovely gift! I was tempted myself although I went with the Meister S, I love the dial :D.

Yes definitely a strap monster with its white/silver face. Really dig the stock Milanese.

Your Meister is certainly a looker!

Back
Top Bottom