Starlink - anyone using it?

Soldato
... restrict who can get Starlink (OneWeb, Kuiper etc) if it does become excessively popular, ie - if you're in an FTTP, FTTC, 4/5G area then no bueno.

You would like to think they wouldn't but....

I think that makes perfect sense, the technology will never have the capacity to serve any significant number of connections in an urban environment. I can see them putting some limitations on fixed subscribed on a cell by cell basis.

What I'd like to see is a lower price subscription, with a data cap, I'd bite at £40 a month for say 400GB a month.

Last edited:
Associate
2 weeks with Starlink and I love it. Speeds up to 350mbps. 220mbps on average. About 1 minute of beta downtime a day. Gaming: 40-60 ping. Previously on 11mbps/1mbps connection.

Man of Honour
I think that makes perfect sense, the technology will never have the capacity to serve any significant number of connections in an urban environment. I can see them putting some limitations on fixed subscribed on a cell by cell basis.

What I'd like to see is a lower price subscription, with a data cap, I'd bite at £40 a month for say 400GB a month.

Probably part of the reason to keep the cost up is to make other options more attractive in higher density areas with better services. Which sucks a bit for those where it might be the only real option but still.

Soldato
I just signed up for this for our new house in the country, supposedly it'll be ready by the end of this year. The only internet options we have currently are a 4G modem with a 200GB monthly limit and 10mb dl / 3mb ul, or some sort of antenna system that offers similar speeds to Starlink but cost around 2k to install plus 130ish per month. Hoping this should be a decent solution, and I'd be interested to hear people's experiences so far.

Soldato
Nah, just a day boat, and holiday boat. Family use it too when I let them. :p

I've done a month, and six-weeks at a time, could probably live on it if I made some adjustments and adapted it to sleep less people and give more living space.

Back to the topic, I wouldn't spend £90 per month on an internet connection unless i was moored in the middle of nowhere, mist of the time you can get good 4G signal, for streaming etc. Just need to have a good outdoor omni direction antenna.

@Journey Hello mate, could you tell me what hotspot/router antenna you have? Could you mount it to a campervan when stationary say?

Soldato
I think the price could be more viable if the device's bandwidth could be shared with neighbours equally (divided into 2 or more separate IP addresses). So, best case, maybe 100mbps each downstream, £45 per month each. Also, the setup costs could be paid for by both customers equally too.

Soldato
I think the price is reasonable, it has to be high enough *not* to tempt anyone with decent fixed line coverage already. The system will never have the capacity to pick up even a small proportion of urban/fibre users.

Maybe a more sophisticated test would be better, basically only make it available to properties that cannot physically get say 50 mbps.

Soldato
I don't get it, how does that help people in poor countries, often with poor internet access, if they set the price at ~£90 per month?

Man of Honour
Seems to have gone all quiet here on the Starlink front - after being told it would likely be available in the first half of the year.

Soldato
its available here, im debating it at the moment as our area doesnt even feature on the openreach plan for fibre up to 2026.

i just think i might have obstruction issues with large oak trees 20m from the house.

Soldato
I don't get it, how does that help people in poor countries, often with poor internet access, if they set the price at ~£90 per month?
I think the prices will vary a lot between regions, and for very poor regions the operating model might be quite different with Starlink proving wholesale backhaul for local distribution.

Soldato
I think the prices will vary a lot between regions, and for very poor regions the operating model might be quite different with Starlink proving wholesale backhaul for local distribution.

Sounds like it could work. So, lots of ground terminals /dishes all providing bandwidth to a local distribution point? Would need to find a way to make the setup costs affordable also.

Soldato
I've just placed my order for Starlink after reviewing my options with BT and Virgin. The housing estate I live on is five years old and not yet adopted by the local authorities so Virgin won't be cabling my street any time soon, I've checked BT's full fibre roll out and my town isn't even on the list and I'm getting fed up of paying £65 a month for 25Mbps. I'll happily pay another £25 for 100+ Mbps.

Question for those who have got it - where did you put the dish? Have you just put it in the garden or mounted on the side of the house / roof?

Soldato
I've just placed my order for Starlink after reviewing my options with BT and Virgin. The housing estate I live on is five years old and not yet adopted by the local authorities so Virgin won't be cabling my street any time soon, I've checked BT's full fibre roll out and my town isn't even on the list and I'm getting fed up of paying £65 a month for 25Mbps. I'll happily pay another £25 for 100+ Mbps.

Don’t forget the £13+ a month to power it :p

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...links-uk-leo-broadband-satellite-service.html

Back
Top Bottom