Half Life 2 is being " re-mastered "

Soldato
I'm replaying it on Windows 10 in original form and see no reason why it needs remastering. It still holds up great! Make something original.

Associate
OP
There's some footage of the remastered edition from 2020, not sure how it relates to the one that's just been announced ?

ne0

ne0

Associate
Any good articles on this?

I didn't play it till a year or two ago. Thought it was over rated, good, but over rated. A tweaked up, polished remaster i will be defo interested in.

If you played it when it came out you would have been more blown away. It's obviously aged now so won't be as impactful but still a great game.

Soldato
I'm replaying it on Windows 10 in original form and see no reason why it needs remastering. It still holds up great! Make something original.
The actual visuals were at that point where it's plenty good enough, it only lacks the polish that modern engines do.
I still play it now and again and after a few minutes you don't even notice. I see no way to really improve it.

Man of Honour
Initial thoughts were it seems a bit pointless, but I suppose Black Mesa started when Halflife was a lot younger than HL2 is now.

To be honest I'm getting a bit bored of remasters, especially newer games. I mean, Crysis trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy., Metro Redux etc... these are not old games, they aren't that badly in need of a remaster, you can still enjoy the original games!
If remasters are so desired, why not target more 20+ year old games? Diablo 2 kind of makes sense, but how about Deus Ex, Freespace 2 etc? Surely crying out for a remaster as much as any of the stuff being churned out.

Soldato
Initial thoughts were it seems a bit pointless, but I suppose Black Mesa started when Halflife was a lot younger than HL2 is now.

To be honest I'm getting a bit bored of remasters, especially newer games. I mean, Crysis trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy., Metro Redux etc... these are not old games, they aren't that badly in need of a remaster, you can still enjoy the original games!
If remasters are so desired, why not target more 20+ year old games? Diablo 2 kind of makes sense, but how about Deus Ex, Freespace 2 etc? Surely crying out for a remaster as much as any of the stuff being churned out.

I agree the remaster stuff is getting Tedious. Yes someone has to work on it but then again they are not doing it from scratch. Do they think the "new generation" of gamers are going to go for it in a big way ? I dont get the logic behind it.

We want new games not re-masters.

Associate
If you played it when it came out you would have been more blown away. It's obviously aged now so won't be as impactful but still a great game.

Yeah goes without saying really. I really like the engines of this time, Halo 2 feels very similar to HL2. I just felt HL2 lacked in story, music design, weapon/ammo placement, overly done segments like the hovercraft. But the rest was great. I do prefer games pre 2010ish as many i've played from those early eras (now many years later for 1st time) felt great, but flaws tend to stick out more easily now. This is why a remaster i'd be interested in.

Permabanned

It is a bit daft Dues Ex hasn't been remastered yet. Eidos should get on with it. Just make it look like the sequels and you can't lose.

Man of Honour
Yeah goes without saying really. I really like the engines of this time, Halo 2 feels very similar to HL2. I just felt HL2 lacked in story, music design, weapon/ammo placement, overly done segments like the hovercraft. But the rest was great. I do prefer games pre 2010ish as many i've played from those early eras (now many years later for 1st time) felt great, but flaws tend to stick out more easily now. This is why a remaster i'd be interested in.
HL2 story won't improve with a remaster, I think it's actually got quite a good story.
Weapon/ammo placement is an interesting one, I think it's partly because they were going for a different style of game, making it more about the sense of going on a journey, than just running around a level with well placed items. So getting some of the new weapons was as much an extension of the story as anything (e.g. gravity gun, getting the shotgun for the Ravenholme zombie level, getting the antlion bait before you attack the prison etc)

Flaws do tend to stick out with older games, even some of the best games can be a bit jarring when you are used to things like objective markers, regular checkpoints, mechanics to avoid running out of health/ammo, weird control systems, clunky inventories etc.

Soldato
HL2 was a technological marvel when released, but the game itself was crap compared to the first. It was all scripted, even the AI.

Yea 100% agree. I played the first one when it was released or very near to, and the same with the second and the first one left much more of an impact.

The physics in the second one (for the time) really impressed me though.

The only other thing I'd say about the first is the Zen section went on a bit, every time I've gone back to play it o get about that far and give up now.

Permabanned
Dues ex has had a couple of more modern versions (OK not remasters). I'd be happy if they did 1 or 2 as 2 was poor imo.

Played the GMDX back in 2019. I think I went with this over the 'Revision' as it's regarded as the much better mod, as the latter mostly improves some of those ugly polygons.

Yea 100% agree. I played the first one when it was released or very near to, and the same with the second and the first one left much more of an impact.

The physics in the second one (for the time) really impressed me though.

The only other thing I'd say about the first is the Zen section went on a bit, every time I've gone back to play it o get about that far and give up now.

Yeah, forgot to mention Zen. I think when you've engaged in countless skirmishes with marines, to be then transported to an alien world to play leap frog? It's a bit meh.

Back
Top Bottom