What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
This is a truly terrible film. Unless you want to be perpetually annoyed / frustrated…. Then it’s great.

Really, really didn’t like it. Seems to draw that reaction from some people. I’m not typically adverse to unconventional / avante garde things either. It just rubbed me in all the wrong ways by frustrating me.

The experience was akin to a dream of running after a train pulling away from a station, always out of reach, whilst being constantly tapped on the head by an invisible hand, whilst being followed by a pervasive wasp. Absurdly annoying - I just don’t think the audience should be made to feel that way.

I think it's easy to see how the film can cause polarising options on whether or not it's great or terrible.

Funnily enough we also watched Donnie Darko last week and there's a film I've seen twice now and I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Permabanned
Your enjoyment will probably depend on how tolerant you are at being annoyed for the sake of the ‘art’.

I can take being made to feel sad, scared, disgusted or otherwise being made to feel uncomfortable, but being made to feel annoyed in my free time is where I draw the line.

10/10 for provoking a reaction, I guess?

Aha that's totally fair. I loved it for all the reasons you didn't it seems. I think Aronofskys an arrogant ****** who's at his best when his Producers keep him on a short leash, but man was it good to see him chase his own tail in this. Just thought it was so raw and frantic in all the ways I sometimes wish Hollywood could allow itself to be. A coked up mess of unstudied philosophical meandering thrown together by a narcissist who just so happens to be a good filmmaker. That ending all but gave me an anxiety attack which in my opinion earns it a 10 xD

I think it's easy to see how the film can cause polarising options on whether or not it's great or terrible.

Funnily enough we also watched Donnie Darko last week and there's a film I've seen twice now and I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

I think DD is very much a generational thing to a lot of people. If you where an angsty teenager around 2001 you had some ridiculously good films to go and see. Amelie, Fellowship of the Ring, Moulin Rouge and The Royal Tenenbauns all came out that year from what I can remember. Then you had Donnie Darko which felt like the last breath of the modern Hollywood art house movement of the 90s and it meant the world to us as teens. TBF I think Mullholland Drive also came out that year or close to it, but Lynch has always been a world apart from anyone else and isn't really a great comparison.

Edit: Just had a look at the releases for 2001 and christ, Spirited Away AND Monsters Inc came out that year... What a time to be alive :(:(:(

Soldato
Jungle Cruise 7/10. Heavy on the CGI, light on the acting and plot but a fairly enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

I like the Rock he's a pretty good leading man but his movies do lean very heavily on CGI. CGI has it's place and a lot of stuff simply can't be filmed without it but I do like Tom Cruise movies for the sheer number of practical effects the sense of realism is just far higher. The Jack Reacher car chase is a great example it's heavily choreographed and cut but it's undeniable he's in the car for most of the shots it looks so much better than many other car chases as a consequence.

Soldato
Midway - 6.5/10

It was decent enough but compared to the war themed bit's I've watched recently (Band of Brothers, The Pacific and 1917) it falls quite short.

Truthfully I just didn't care about any of the characters. Based on a true story which was somewhat interesting but not something I'd be in a rush to watch again.

Soldato
On a big rewatch of movies at the moment while wifey away and i've got free time.

Deliver Us From Evil - 7.5/10 - A sort of dark detective story tied up with some quite gratuitous violent scenes and whole lot of scares that really got my heart racing despite having seen it before. Sean Harris doing his best typecast psycho/possessed/nutcase acting - shame he gets forced into these roles as outside of them, he's a very competent and talented actor. Great visuals and atmosphere.

One thing I struggled with is that the two lead cops sort of acted like soldiers, whipping out knives to fight with criminals, I don't think that's in the guide book. :D I think they were supposed to be ex-military, it just didn't sit right.

New York police officer Ralph Sarchie investigates a series of crimes. He joins forces with an unconventional priest, schooled in the rites of exorcism, to combat the possessions that are terrorizing their city.

Soldato
Ohhh I was quite taken by the trailer for this but never got round to watching it due to generally poor reviews. Might revisit that plan tonight.

IMDB only has it as a 6.2 but horror generally gets rated unfairly low. I've probably rated it a little higher due to Sean Harris, think the guy is phenomenal in most things. It's nothing you haven't seen before, same ingredients, different product. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the Rock he's a pretty good leading man but his movies do lean very heavily on CGI. CGI has it's place and a lot of stuff simply can't be filmed without it but I do like Tom Cruise movies for the sheer number of practical effects the sense of realism is just far higher. The Jack Reacher car chase is a great example it's heavily choreographed and cut but it's undeniable he's in the car for most of the shots it looks so much better than many other car chases as a consequence.
I like the Rock...but dear god he counted act to save his life, its just a slightly different written variation of "him" each and every single damn time. At Least Arnold went and tried different types of films, did the harder R films etc. Rock is just about that cheap CG Disney muck. SO many of his films I forget even existed, that one with the Tower, and one with a Monkey, did anyone even remember he was in them? Think he did a disaster film film, all of them straight into the trash bin never to be watched again.

Soldato
If you watch it today it isn't good to be honest, really cheesy in parts.
I think his best has been Faster, that was near the start as well.

I rewatched it in march and still quite liked it, yeah it is cheesy and it has Baddy McBadguy Neal McDonough in it being a baddy but he's done hell of a lot worse with high budgets in recent years.

Rundown (Welcome to the Jungle) is ok too.

Soldato
I rewatched it in march and still quite liked it, yeah it is cheesy and it has Baddy McBadguy Neal McDonough in it being a baddy but he's done hell of a lot worse with high budgets in recent years.

Rundown (Welcome to the Jungle) is ok too.

Really should be his screen name.

Man of Honour
A Simple Favor (2018)

Went into this one with no expectations or knowledge of the film. Turned out pretty good to be honest, both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Sort of a comedy, mystery, crime, whodunit type of thing.

Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively star as well, so what's not to like?

8/10

Caporegime
The Current Wars

Thought it was fairly interesting and entertaining with a good cast. Having seen it, i think some of the reviews it received were a bit harsh.

7/10.

Back
Top Bottom