Tyre advice please

Soldato
Hi all,

Peugeot 3008 (2017) GT 2.0L Diesel auto (with Advanced Grip Control)
Current mileage: 37k
So in Feb 2020 i had my front tyres replaced with Davanti 225/55/18/102W.
I have driven 12,000 miles on them and my recent MOT put them into an amber warning.
FNS - 4.44 (inner), 4.25 (centre), 3.22 (outer) - AMBER alert
FOS - 4.90 (inner), 4.88 (centre), 4.18 (outer) - AMBER alert

The rears are continentals (4 years old since new):
RNS - 3.5 (inner), 2.45 (centre), 2.40 (outer) - RED alert
ROF - 4.43 (inner) 3.52 (centre), 3.13 (outer) - AMBER alert

So, should i be worried about the wear on the Davantis considering they've only done 12,000 miles.
I don't drive like a nut, up to 130 miles per week (max).

Your advice (without needless trolling of choice of car etc) would be appreciated. :)

Don
The wear variation seems a bit off (FNS Outer, RNS in general), so probably worth getting a 4 wheel alignment done.

37K from the Continentals on the rear sounds good (in my experience Conti's have always been quite soft and wear fairly quickly)

The Davantis on the other hand are rubbish - assuming the Davantis were only the 2nd set of tyres on the car, the original front Contis would have done 25k.

When you change them, personally I'd be swapping back to a more premium brand (not that there's a huge amount of choice in that size) - something like the Michelin Primacy 4 or the Continental Eco Contact 6. Yes they cost a fair chunk more, but they will last longer.

Is there a reason why you are running 225/55/18/102W? A quick look on Black circles with various reg's from Autotrader suggests the standard tyre size for these should be 225/55/18 98V - which gives quite a bit more choice (including a lot more Mid Range options), and are ~£10 cheaper per tyre for premium brands

Soldato
OP
I didn't know what the numbers meant until i made this thread. I think that's the only option on the Davanti and if the garage were pushing the sale of them then that's what i got i guess.
I went on black circles before i created this thread and it looks to be about £130 for a decent tyre..........quite expensive but then i have resigned to keeping the car for another year or until some better EV's/PHEV's come onto the market.

Don
I went on black circles before i created this thread and it looks to be about £130 for a decent tyre..........quite expensive but then i have resigned to keeping the car for another year or until some better EV's/PHEV's come onto the market.

Unfortunately that's the going rate for 18" wheels, and can only be blamed on the "bling"/PCP generation as traditionally (those who value looks above anything else), where in reality a 16" or 17" wheel would be far more sensible in terms of comfort and running costs on a "normal" car such as yours

Soldato
No, they charge I think around £8 per tyre to fit on top which their discount offers help to negate.

The discount does all depend on actual tyre sizes and varies if buying 2 or 4. So for example for my wife car I got I think £60 off when having 4 fitted, for my car I got £50 off for 2 and for my sons car, he did very well :) he got £100 off for fitting 4.

Another thing is their website only shows what that particular Costco has in stock but if you go there they will have the full list for you to choose from which they can order in, again you might be able to shave a few quid depending on speed ratings etc.

Associate
seems about right, 2 sets of fronts to 1 set of rears on a front wheel drive car.

you have probably got 1500 to 2k left in the front tyres goin by those measurements.

Another good midrange tyre is the Falken FK510 SUV.

The n/s/f will always wear about .5-1mm quicker then the osf. Get a 4wheel alignment done when you replace the tyres

Alex

Back
Top Bottom