Car dropped all its oil on holiday

Soldato
Sooo bought a ford fiesta for my missus, a 2017 1.0 ecoboost plate with 22k on the clock...

We have done exactly 700 miles and I returned to find it had dropped all its oil on the floor.

Took it to a local garage and they are claiming the seals on the crankshaft have gone...

Phoned up the dealer that I purchased the car from are claiming its wear and tear, I've never heard of a car blowing it's crankshaft seal after less than 23k. Miles.

So now I'm stuck down Cornwall with the family as without a car and the dealer are basically telling me to do one.

Am I under the consumer act of 2015 as there is no way this fault just occurred and I must have been sold a dud.
No oil leak when I brought it but that could have been cleaned up before I booked to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
Brought the car June 12 and the car has dropped its all this morning.
Had to dash to a petrol forecourt to grab some oil to get it recovered to the nearest garage.
Then walk 4 miles on nsl roads with my daughter back to the house as no taxis were running till the afternoon.

Beyond ****** off is my current mood.

Permabanned
I read it as the car was sat for week(s) while you were away and you came back top a big puddle of oil sorry.

The Low Oil pressure switch/light should have worked if you were driving it.

Man of Honour
I would not accepot crankshaft seals as a wear and tear item on 23k miles and 4 years. I think the period is 3 months (maybe 6?) during which the burden of proof is on the seller to prove the fault was not there when you bouught the car. It's well within the timeframe. Reject the carr immediately. Also call the Motor Ombudsman on 0345 241 3008 for further advice.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tips-...r-used-car-your-car-consumer-rights-explained

Soldato
Brought the car June 12 and the car has dropped its all this morning.
Had to dash to a petrol forecourt to grab some oil to get it recovered to the nearest garage.
Then walk 4 miles on nsl roads with my daughter back to the house as no taxis were running till the afternoon.

Beyond ****** off is my current mood.
June 12th?

They need to repair it.

6 months mate.

If they refuse, you can send them a letter telling that that if they don't repair it or respond within 14 days, you will get the issue rectified and will forward the bill to them.

Then if they refuse to pay that, small claims court will grant you all of the funds back.

We buy cars from "dealers" for this protection. Otherwise we would all buy privately and save money.

Soldato
OP
Not sure how they are going to repair it as we are in Cornwall and the dealer is in Swansea.

Either I cut the holiday short and we go home via the as or I get it repaired by the independent garage and try and get the money back from the dealer?

Soldato
You have to give them a chance to repair it so get the AA to drop it at the dealers and continue the journey home, that's if you have the cover. I wouldn't get it repaired where you are unless the dealer agrees for you to do it.

Soldato
I think under the CRA part of your obligation is to give them opportunity to repair, which as you say is difficult when you're on holiday and getting the car to them is likely to mean completely disrupting your holiday.

You'll probably shoot yourself in the foot if you get someone local to work on the car without something in writing from the dealer agreeing to that and that they'll pay etc. in lieu of directly repairing it themselves.

Soldato
Phoned up the dealer that I purchased the car from are claiming its wear and tear

Bloody love the motor trade. Crankshaft seals are wear and tear, that's a good one :p.

If you can, send them a recorded letter with the following. Do NOT do this over the phone because if push comes to shove, they'll lie about what the conversations have been should this go to court.

Detail the car, detail when you bought it, how many miles have been done and how many weeks you've owned it, tell them what has happened most recently and what the diagnosis of the garage is. Include in the email that you called them immediately and they stated they would not assist because they stated the crank shaft seals was wear and tear.

Tell them of their liabilities when selling a car so recently to you and that it is not satisfactory quality and has not lasted a reasonable amount of time. Inform them that they have 14 days to collect the car and rectify the fault completely or you'll be looking for a refund on the car. If they do not do this, inform them that you will take the car to the main dealer for repair and will be going to small claims court to recover the repair amount and all associated costs including hire cars, taxis and additional mileage.

Soldato
^ this basically.

The only thing you could have done differently is have onward travel on your breakdown insurance which would have helped with the inconvenience. Id always try and get a car towed to somewhere local to home because of these kind of issues. The RAC or AA will only tow it once for free with the same issue. If a garage to where you are can’t repair it quickly, the whole thing can turn into a miserable inconvenience and that is really putting it politely. Onward travel normally gives you a few days with a hire car and can get you out of a sticky situation like this.

Associate
was it a car sales or a main ford dealer? if the latter then get a local ford dealer to look at it and report , may be a warranty problem at 2017 with 22k on the clock its not really a old high mileage? worth a shot, as you really dont know if any other damage has been caused by lack of oil?.

Caporegime
I was advised by Volvo at my V70’s last service that it’s crankshaft main seal is starting to weep a little given it’s 16years and then 176k miles they said it was “expected to start to go a little” but “not to worry about it as it’ll last a good while longer”

I was more than happy to hear this. I certainly wouldn’t be had the car been a similar age and mileage as the O.P’s car!

Back
Top Bottom