Build list

Associate
Hi

Ok, my mb has failed so here’s what I’m putting together with some existing components.

I already have:

970 Evo plus NVMe 1TB
MSI 850 PSU
2070 Super

New stuff:

5900x
Ram 3600 32gb…. to be decided
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Noctua 15D

My current case is a. Cooler Master Cosmos S. Great case and still going strong but the Noctua 15D I believe won’t fit so I’m either going to get:

1. Corsair 780T or
2. Thermaltake X71

At the moment I’m siding towards the Corsair as it’s wider.

Any comments/advice appreciated especially re air cooler and ram clearance etc.

oh any ideas for decent surge protection?

cheers
S

Soldato
Any reason for choosing those 2 cases? Both are quite old and the market has moved on. Airflow would certainly be better in a more recent PC case. You don't have to go for xmas tree RGB bling either as there PC cases that don't have any. Be Quiet Dark rock series would be an alternative to Noctua. RAM clearance required would depend on the height of the heatspreaders on the RAM you buy.

Associate
OP
Hi
I was trying to get a full tower with a couple of 5.25” bays at the front. A lot of the new cases it seems have done away with these bays. There’s a few newer ones I do like but I can’t add my bd drive or card reader.

I might have to go for low profile rams.

I must admit at one point I was thinking of getting OC to build me a 5900x rig but ask them to omit the components I have …psu, Gpu. Maybe that’s a better way to go.

Soldato
Ram 3600 32gb…. to be decided
ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Just forget those insanely overpriced boards.
They won't make CPU any faster/longer good staying, but only you that much poorer.
For example MSI X570 Tomahawk is excellent board fine if you need Wifi.

At least putting extra into Samsung B-die 2x16GB would give some advantage to CPU memory access limited situations from dual ranks.
Though it still wouldn't be even in remote relation to price increase and dual rank could be achieved by 4x8GB kit.

I was trying to get a full tower with a couple of 5.25” bays at the front.
Corsair 750D is one of few left from time before fashion raped cases.

Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case - Black (CC-9011035-WW)= £134.99

You could also add USB-C and second pair of USB-3s into it:
Akasa Interconnect GX 5.25" Front Bay for USB 2.0 / 3.0 / 3.1= £22.99

Associate
OP
Hi

I do like the 750D and it's on my shortlist. The reason why I thought the 780T would be better is because its wider and I need to fit a noctua 15d in.

On the motherboard, I believe using 2 x M2 nvme will disable one or two data ports. I need to look into that a bit more.

Cheers for help
S

Associate
OP
Soldato
This is what I’m considering, yes more pricey but I won’t be building again for 5-7 years
Doesn't make £200 overexpensive board for the need any better.
It doesn't even give third M.2 slot, even if that starts to share chipset's I/O wiring with something else.
And unless wanting to cut graphics card's slot in half to x8 mode, it also has only two other usable PCIe slots.
So can't it claim good expandability or anything.

X570 Tomahawk has even as much overkill VRM.
MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard= £179.99

As for that RAM clearance, NH-D15 wasn't designed to not take huge amount of space and basically needs moving first fan sky high to fit bigger "heatsink" memories:
https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php...3_26_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review_full.jpg
Scythe Fuma 2 is only dual tower cooler designed to fit any memory.

Anyway for Ryzen's heatspreader flat based cooler would be optimal instead of Intel optimized with convex base.
Two convex surface don't make good contact except in small area, while modern chiplet Ryzens even have heat output off center.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/cpu-heat...asures-now-at-amd-and-intel-rethink-basics/3/
Though convex base high mounting pressure cooler actually deforms heatspreader.

Back
Top Bottom