• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK AMD Ryzen 5000G series review thread

Soldato
Only since Turing have Nv supported mesh shaders and even then , they arnt exactly fast compared to Ampere or RDNA2. Its also why AMD wont be using RDNA and stuck with Vega this time (trusted igpu core, new cpu part) - RDNA2 is being tested in APU this year *Van Gogh*, along with LPDDR5 but with a tried and trusted zen2 cpu part... small steps in development. Next year will be zen3+ and rdna2.

As for mesh shaders - literally 2 months ago was the first game to use them:

Mesh Shading Finally Makes Its Way Into An Actual Game! - YouTube

in fact UL only released a benchmark update to 3dmark at the end of February to test the feature....

Soldato
OP
The problem is you can get a Core i5 10400F and a GTX1650 GDDR6 for the same price as the Ryzen 7 5700G. Plus the Ryzen 7 5800X can be had for similar money in bundles and it blows the Ryzen 7 5700G out of the water. It also supports PCI-E 4.0 like the Ryzen 7 3700X.

The Ryzen 7 3700X has been on HUKD several times for £200,and you can get a Ryzen 7 3700X with a GTX1050TI 4GB for not much more. The Core i7 10700F with MSI/Asus cashback deals can be had for around the same too.

Plus if you want to go really cheap on the motherboard a MSI B450 will support a Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 7 5800X if you don't overclock. OcUK have a B450M Mortar for £60 on offer!

I use SFF PCs including a system which us under 6 litres in volume(has a dGPU),and even I can't find a use for this - its a very niche CPU for the DIY market because of its price.

The only place it makes sense is in a cheap prebuilt desktop!

The Ryzen 5 5600G makes a bit more sense,but you can get a Ryzen 5 5600X for less than the Ryzen 5 5600G.

Last edited:
Soldato
I will admit I am confused, on paper the 5800X doesnt blow it out of the water, same core count? same core architecture? 200mhz clock speed advantage, trading 200mhz for an iGPU, or have I got something wrong here?

I just read a bit more on the spec sheet, and AMD have been a bit sly.

PCIE gen 3 not gen 4(mentioned here already) probably only matters if you care about nvme gen4.
Less PCIE lanes, wtf?
Halved cache wtf? This one I guess is the performance difference, if the benchmarks show a bigger gap than 200mhz worth of performance.

Soldato
I will admit I am confused, on paper the 5800X doesnt blow it out of the water, same core count? same core architecture? 200mhz clock speed advantage, trading 200mhz for an iGPU, or have I got something wrong here?

PCIE gen 3 not gen 4(mentioned here already) probably only matters if you care about nvme gen4.
Less PCIE lanes, wtf?
Halved cache wtf? This one I guess is the performance difference, if the benchmarks show a bigger gap than 200mhz worth of performance.

It’s pretty much a 5800X -10%~ performance for £60 less.

Soldato
OP

Less PCIE lanes, wtf?

When it comes to gaming workloads its closer to the Ryzen 7 3700X and Core i7 10700/11700 series CPUs. There have been various deals for the Ryzen 7 3700X for around £200 recently!

Plus there have been plenty of deals for the Ryzen 7 5800X for around the £330~£350 mark too.

Caporegime
When it comes to gaming workloads its closer to the Ryzen 7 3700X and Core i7 10700/11700 series CPUs. There have been various deals for the Ryzen 7 3700X for around £200 recently!

Plus there have been plenty of deals for the Ryzen 7 5800X for around the £330~£350 mark too.

It's a good deal though if you're an average person and don't want to fork out for an increasingly overpriced graphics card. Console gaming is much better nowadays so the iGPU is great for most people. I would imagine for OEM systems it's perfect.

Soldato
OP
It's a good deal though if you're an average person and don't want to fork out for an increasingly overpriced graphics card. Console gaming is much better nowadays so the iGPU is great for most people. I would imagine for OEM systems it's perfect.

I would expect the cheapest way to get them is in OEM systems.

If its more a basic system which needs an IGP,the 6 core options from Intel/AMD will do the job but cost much less.

For example a Core i5 10400F and a GTX1050TI 4GB will cost less than a Ryzen 7 5700G. Its perfectly fine for general purpose usage,and the GTX1050TI 4GB is much better for casual gaming too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom