Car dropped all its oil on holiday

Soldato
I was advised by Volvo at my V70’s last service that it’s crankshaft main seal is starting to weep a little given it’s 16years and then 176k miles they said it was “expected to start to go a little” but “not to worry about it as it’ll last a good while longer”

I was more than happy to hear this. I certainly wouldn’t be had the car been a similar age and mileage as the O.P’s car!

This is the normal way a crank shaft seal fails, gradually.
Might be worth giving Forte seal conditioner a shot.

Caporegime
This is the normal way a crank shaft seal fails, gradually.
Might be worth giving Forte seal conditioner a shot.
Is that stuff worth a shot? - I've read a few horror stories about such products gumming up oil passages etc, having seen a photo of the weep which they took, it is barely perceptible....

Soldato
No whoever you bought it from needs to sort this out, good advice been posted already, don't start messing with it yourself.

Very unlucky it happened to you on holiday, that sucks. You'll need to organise to get the car back to them, and then get back from your holiday, I dunno if car rental could work for you?

But don't mess with it, place you purchased it from needs to sort it, record all your correspondence etc.

That is NOT a wear and tear item 22k mile car.

Caporegime
Yeh, as its only been less than 2 months, the onus is on the dealer to prove that the fault wasnt there when you bought it (which they likely cannot do).

I would imagine that you would have very strong case were it to go to court, so keep the pressure on the dealer to fix it.

Soldato
OP
So ford dealer left me a voice mail to give them the details of the garage that's doing the repair work and they are gonna pay for repairs.

So some good news. Just got to catch buses as no taxis have child seats.

Haven't been on a bus since I was 17 I'm 33 now.

Soldato
So ford dealer left me a voice mail to give them the details of the garage that's doing the repair work and they are gonna pay for repairs.

:D Don't let it ruin your holiday fella. These things are sent to test us!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Could you not rent a car, or get a loaner from the dealer doing the repairs?

You really shouldn't be out of pocket and/or taking public transport for this.

Associate

I'd be making sure they are taking on full responsibility for the garage selected to do the work as well and get this in writing, last thing you want is the car to go wrong again and then the original garage blaming the 2nd garage, and bunging any further liability on you for selecting the repairer. Essentially you don't want your name on any of the repair invoices, the work needs to be directly instructed by the original dealer, and then invoiced to them, and not via you as the organising party.

Man of Honour

Can you just buy a cheap child seat from Halfords 9r Amazon next day delivery? Then rent a car.

Soldato
I'd be making sure they are taking on full responsibility for the garage selected to do the work as well and get this in writing, last thing you want is the car to go wrong again and then the original garage blaming the 2nd garage, and bunging any further liability on you for selecting the repairer. Essentially you don't want your name on any of the repair invoices, the work needs to be directly instructed by the original dealer, and then invoiced to them, and not via you as the organising party.
^^ very much this. Shouldn't you also be looking for a hire car, paid for by the original seller?

Associate

Child car seats: the law: When a child can travel without a car seat - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Good to know they are picking up the bill, expect the dealer will phone the garage and confirm they are to be invoiced directly.

Soldato
Is that stuff worth a shot? - I've read a few horror stories about such products gumming up oil passages etc, having seen a photo of the weep which they took, it is barely perceptible....

I wouldn’t use additives for the sake of it, but Forte are trade rated.
Certainly not worth stripping the engine down to repair.

Soldato
June 12th?

They need to repair it.

6 months mate.

If they refuse, you can send them a letter telling that that if they don't repair it or respond within 14 days, you will get the issue rectified and will forward the bill to them.

Then if they refuse to pay that, small claims court will grant you all of the funds back.

We buy cars from "dealers" for this protection. Otherwise we would all buy privately and save money.

Absolutely do not follow this advice. Don’t pay for a repair!! The dealer should repair or refund.

OP do some reading around online regarding the regulations. People often spew out poor advice in threads like these.

Soldato
Absolutely do not follow this advice. Don’t pay for a repair!! The dealer should repair or refund.

OP do some reading around online regarding the regulations. People often spew out poor advice in threads like these.
His options are not to just have them rwpair or get a refund.

If the dealer refuses to do both, it needs to be fixed. And then the dealer pays via the court.

The key thing, is giving them enough of an opportunity to do repairs or offer a refund.

Soldato
His options are not to just have them rwpair or get a refund.

If the dealer refuses to do both, it needs to be fixed. And then the dealer pays via the court.

The key thing, is giving them enough of an opportunity to do repairs or offer a refund.

Nope.

Soldato

So what is the correct procedure to follow if a dealership has completely refused to repair or refund?

Obviously as per the development of the thread, they're being a bit more cooperative in this case, but following this thread of discussion, I don't see much inherently wrong with what @Diagro is suggesting in the case of an uncooperative dealer.

Back
Top Bottom