Starlink - anyone using it?

Soldato
I expect that those on 10mbps connections or less, in rural / cut off areas will find it worthwhile, more so when the performance improvements are implemented.

But for around £60 per month you can get 2 VDSL lines and use a VPN (like Speedify) to combine the bandwidth into them into a single connection, in areas where FTTP / DOCSIS / 5G connections aren't available. The Speedify cost is about £5.40 per month (1 year package usable on 5 devices, can pay a bit more for family package).

For a lot of people, I think that would provide better performance with likely 99.99% connection uptime.

One thing I don't know about this is, would the 2 VDSL lines seriously affect each other with line noise / crosstalk? I'd guess, not much more than other active FTTC lines in your street already do.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've just placed my order for Starlink after reviewing my options with BT and Virgin. The housing estate I live on is five years old and not yet adopted by the local authorities so Virgin won't be cabling my street any time soon, I've checked BT's full fibre roll out and my town isn't even on the list and I'm getting fed up of paying £65 a month for 25Mbps. I'll happily pay another £25 for 100+ Mbps.

The roads do not need to be adopted for VM to deploy as long as there is ducting and if it's a new build estate it will be.

Why are you paying £65 a month for 25 Mbps?

Associate
I see they have halved the price for the service in France, with the change to "best effort service @50EU a month.

Hope they bring that service to the UK, be tempted to get it for the camper. the RV service can be paused when not needed, which is a big plus.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone using star link?
We currently use 4G via EE, with a teltonika router. We usually get between 20 and 40 Mbps down and up, but it's seems to be getting more like 15 —20 Mbps recently.
Looking at star link, but is it worth the substantial extra cost?

Associate
@rangor gubbins

I use Starlink and a Teltonika TRB500 in the van, they both work well.
Starlink had an offer on in June for the full kit for £99, very good deal but its still expensive compared to the cost of mobile use.

Starlink speed test from Yesterday.

CdwRYfTl.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@rangor gubbins

I use Starlink and a Teltonika TRB500 in the van, they both work well.
Starlink had an offer on in June for the full kit for £99, very good deal but its still expensive compared to the cost of mobile use.

Starlink speed test from Yesterday.

CdwRYfTl.jpg
That does look impressively fast. Is it reliable/stable? Is there any lag issues?
It's expensive without the discount deal. >£400 for the hardware I think, plus something like £70 per month?

Associate
Yes we have it in New Zealand. Got after the big cyclone we got at the start of the year. Speed is very good and have no regrets at all, even thought it is 50% more per month than what we were paying ($99 to $$150).

Man of Honour
Anyone using star link?
We currently use 4G via EE, with a teltonika router. We usually get between 20 and 40 Mbps down and up, but it's seems to be getting more like 15 —20 Mbps recently.
Looking at star link, but is it worth the substantial extra cost?

Around where I am in rural Somerset people get about 50-100mbit/s down (speeds aren't very consistent during the day like with 4G) and just under 10mbit/s up on Starlink during the day and upto around 130mbit/s at night - dunno too much about the latency but I suspect it is mostly around 50-100ms with some spikes.

Last edited:
Associate
That does look impressively fast. Is it reliable/stable? Is there any lag issues?
It's expensive without the discount deal. >£400 for the hardware I think, plus something like £70 per month?

It all seems to boil down to how many Starlink users are in your area.
No issues at all with speeds, but I'm in rural Mid Wales.

Cost are £75 a month for residential, £85 a month for roaming/mobile use, the latter can be paused to be used only when you need it on a monthly basis.
I am on the roam/mobile plan as we use it touring in the van.(roam/mobile gives you unprioritized data, supposedly slower)

A big plus for me is Wifi calling when there is no mobile coverage when we're in the Scottish highlands in the van

Last edited:
Associate
The other thing is how where to put it. Ideally I'd put it on the antenna pole attached to the chimney to give it a nice unobstructed sky view. But running the power and data cables up there could be tricky. Do you know if it's possible to buy long extension cables for it?

Associate
The other thing is how where to put it. Ideally I'd put it on the antenna pole attached to the chimney to give it a nice unobstructed sky view. But running the power and data cables up there could be tricky. Do you know if it's possible to buy long extension cables for it?
The new kit now comes with a 50ft cable(used to be 75ft)
you can buy 75ft or 150ft cables plus mounting brackets/poles etc from Starlink.

Have modified mine to fit flat mounted on the roof of the van.

Last edited:
Associate
The new kit now comes with a 50ft cable(used to be 75ft)
you can buy 75ft or 150ft cables plus mounting brackets/poles etc from Starlink.

Have modified mine to fit flat mounted on the roof of the van.

Nice work you did there.

Soldato
We use starlink maritime for offshore vessels. Complete godsend tbh, i used to be lucky to get say 5mbp now we have 60ish roughly. Definitely better for if your on the move ie boat or van, i doubt this product lineup would be good value compared to fttc/fttp or 4g/5g setups.

Associate
We use starlink maritime for offshore vessels. Complete godsend tbh, i used to be lucky to get say 5mbp now we have 60ish roughly. Definitely better for if your on the move ie boat or van, i doubt this product lineup would be good value compared to fttc/fttp or 4g/5g setups.

That's good to know. Thanks.
That's my conundrum, is star link worth the considerable extra money compared to 4G. We are currently using 4G (no sign of 5G coming to our area any time soon) and generally it works well enough. Usually more than 20mbps but sometimes 40mbps, both up and down (important as we work from home a lot, so lots of file transfers both ways) and it costs us £35 /month unlimited data.
I don't mind paying more if the service is really reliable and significantly faster. I'm not certain if star link is worth it for us.

Soldato
That's good to know. Thanks.
That's my conundrum, is star link worth the considerable extra money compared to 4G. We are currently using 4G (no sign of 5G coming to our area any time soon) and generally it works well enough. Usually more than 20mbps but sometimes 40mbps, both up and down (important as we work from home a lot, so lots of file transfers both ways) and it costs us £35 /month unlimited data.
I don't mind paying more if the service is really reliable and significantly faster. I'm not certain if star link is worth it for us.
I think in your situation i could stomach £75 a month as you work from home but the £450 install is a lot upfront for no idea what you would get day in day out for actual speeds.

Back
Top Bottom