New laminate warped out of box!

Soldato
I picked up new laminate flloor 8 boxes in total...

The set of planks out of the first box went down okay - however, all the planks in the 2nd and 3rd boxes I opened are warped, some only slightly, but by enough of a margin to prevent them from fitting...

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem???

Man of Honour
I picked up new laminate flloor 8 boxes in total...

The set of planks out of the first box went down okay - however, all the planks in the 2nd and 3rd boxes I opened are warped, some only slightly, but by enough of a margin to prevent them from fitting...

Has anyone else experienced this or a similar problem???

22 boxes recently all of them warped... turn the boxes upside down and stack em for a few days... warped mine back so they fitted :D Admittedly they were still slightly warped but less warped so they fitted together and pulled straight while fitting.

pro tip open the boxes and see which ones are worst... put those at the bottom of the stack...

Look how warped these boards were...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Vince,

Thanks for replying...

I forgot to add that not only are some of the boards warped the same way as yours, but also the edge on some is not completely straight, this can be seen when placed against a straight edge. Which means that two boards will not slot together side by side, so.. we push one end in and the other end comes out....

would this suggest a manufacturing defect?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi Vince,

Thanks for replying...

I forgot to add that not only are some of the boards warped the same way as yours, but also the edge on some is not completely straight, this can be seen when placed against a straight edge. Which means that two boards will not slot together side by side, so.. we push one end in and the other end comes out....

would this suggest a manufacturing defect?

Some of mine kept doing this particulary when i had to lay them the wrong way around because i went through the lounge backwards as i laid the full downstairs bar kitchen and bathroom as if it was one big room. With those ones i used a spare cut off of a board lined it up along the edge and hammered it home until it clipped into place.

A pic of one of the boards you are talking about would be useful :)

Soldato
OP
Bbw17eR

iCL5uUJ

Not sure if these images will appear, but here goes!

https://imgur.com/Bbw17eR

One of the images has a small gap when placed against a straight edge, its not much, but it prevents the planks from fitting neatly together. The other problem is that it is a 'drop click,' joint so the planks don't lock tightly together....

Last edited:
Soldato
you got sent the custom distressed boards? Eek, they'll charge you extra for those. Best not mention it.

More seriously, do they have a tolerance statement in the product description? Are they out of the stated range?

Soldato
I’ve bought that cheap rubbish before and threw the lot in the bin. Awful stuff.

It’s not even really laminate it’s hardboard with a photo on top.
If so they can creep like mad with age. And/or go soggy/mushy if they're like the junk in my utility area the previous owner put in.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

The floor is now down and looks good - with an awful lot of help from a joiner/floor fitter who laid it for me!

I’ve bought that cheap rubbish before and threw the lot in the bin. Awful stuff.

It’s not even really laminate it’s hardboard with a photo on top.

Like everything else you get what you pay for, and although everything has clicked into place some of joints are not as tight as the fitter would like. In any case it's in a bedroom so won't get a high volume of traffic.

If I buy a wooden floor again I'll make sure I get something that is better quality and has a more secure locking system.

Thanks again for the replies...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

You need to leave them in the room they are going to be fitted in for 48 hrs prior to fitting. It should say this in the instructions.

Also, you said "the first box went down okay" - did you not mix the planks from all the boxes prior to fitting?

Soldato
OP
You need to leave them in the room they are going to be fitted in for 48 hrs prior to fitting. It should say this in the instructions.

Also, you said "the first box went down okay" - did you not mix the planks from all the boxes prior to fitting?

Yes, they were left in the room for about 48 hours prior to fitting and the mate who ended up fitting it for me did mix planks from different boxes to get the best fit.

As I said, its down now and looks okay!

I chose it based on its colour, not price, as of all the ones the shop had it looked the best to me. However, it wasn't the most expensive - it worked out at £300.00 all in for 22sq meters of flooring and underlay - and I asked for the best underlay they had which itself was about £4.50 per sq meter.

Back
Top Bottom