First time watercooler - spec + questions

V F

V F

Soldato
I'm wondering once I figure the parts I need, if I was to route the tubes from left to right across the fans to get more fluid into the loop... or would that be a pain? So that I could put in a temperature read out on one of the main pipes.

The top rad would have the 3 fans attached to the roof so looking below/up to the roof you'd see the fins and bring the pipes from left to the right as well. Uness that ends up messy...

Soldato
OP
Some more testing this eve;

1 hr of Days Gone

CPU MAX: 63c
GPU MAX: 43c

1 hr of Cinebench R20

CPU MAX: 60c

All of this is done with the panels ON.

With that said, I'm pretty sure I've got my CPU block piped up the wrong way round. I was convinced the loop would run top rad, cpu, gpu, bottom rad and round again when infact its the other way round. Not sure how much of an impact this is having on the thermal performance.

Associate
I think GPU blocks can run either way these days but EK CPU blocks have a set in and out. I do not know how much of a difference it makes if you have it running in reverse.

OK I am looking at your pic. Your bottom most pipe on the left side of the distro plate is the pump outlet , everything pumps from there and will flow around the loop. Your loop goes pump => gpu => distro plate => cpu => top rad => distro plate => bottom rad =>distro plate/reservoir/pump.
I think you have your cpu block running the wrong way but not totally sure, you need to check the EK manual...LOL.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/EK-IM/EK-IM-3830046996886.pdf

I think you have the the water flowing into the outlet of your cpu blockbut even looking at their instructions it could be clearer.

Last edited:
Associate
All mainstream watercooling brands use 1/4" male and female fittings. You can mix and match EK with bitpower with Corsair etc etc and they are almost all technically adaptable. You do get issues with sizes at times.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £14.96 (includes shipping: £3.48)​

When I tried to connect my Alphacool 16mm fittings to the EK 90 degree adapter they were just too large and as i tightened them they would scrape part of the EK fitting and would not sit perfectly straight. I needed to use a 7mm spacer to help the fitting and then it was ok, in the end I did not use the Alphacool fittings at all because I kept having issues with them being too large.

The time when you do need to pay attention is when you decide what size and type of tubing to go for and then you need to get fittings correct for that tubing. 16mm PETG hard tube needed 16mm Hard tube fittings. With soft tubing you need to get the inner and outer diameter correct for the tubes and fittings.

Soldato
OP
Looks great.

Mission accomplished or are you planning to vertically mount the GPU ?

Leaving it as is for now. Not sure if the GPU will fit vertically with the bottom rad and fans in place. It is something I will look into more though.

I have ordered a replacement 12 pin cable for the gpu. I’ll be much happier when that arrives.

Are the fittings universal or do you have to go after specific ones?

All EK quantum vector fittings

Associate
I have said in other posts I do not think there is a lot of room to vertically mount the gpu with a bottom rad in this case, with the low width PCB on an FE it may work but you will have to make that call. It would really help to hide that GPU pcie cable but there are a lot of problems with mounting the gpu sideways. I am sure with a fully working PC that is meeting your needs you will be sensible and leave sleeping dogs to lie and just enjoy the amazing hardware you have.

I am hoping I get a Samsung G9 for my 50th birthday in a few days. If I do then thats a hell of a resolution and of course I will need a 4080/7800 series gpu so it all starts again, luckily for me ( or them ) my children will have semi decent PCs to use secondhand. I do not waste electronics and it just get reused, with the current shortages we can all appreciate the importance of longevity.

V F

V F

Soldato
@Damien. Which version is the pump on your distro plate? I've been reading there are major issues with 3.1, assuming yours is 3.2 with the supposedly fixed pump.

Soldato
OP
@Damien. Which version is the pump on your distro plate? I've been reading there are major issues with 3.1, assuming yours is 3.2 with the supposedly fixed pump.

As far as I am aware I have the 3.1 (going by OCUK's product page). Although I will check the box when I get home.

What issues have you read about?

V F

V F

Soldato
Pump clicks/burn out/failure.

Some saying they've had similar issues with the 3.2. This being the reason I'm going to go for the front window distro plate.

Associate
The waterblock just looks amazing, but Im sure alphacool can do the job just as well :D Just be careful using thick rads with the distro plate, from what I've been told, the pump that comes with it may not sufficient to push the liquid effectively through the loop. But ive bought mine used with the upgraded pump, so I wouldn't know personally!

Soldato
OP
It all seems to be working relatively well for me at the moment. Might upgrade for the DDC 4.2 when it comes out though (just in case).

I can put my case on its side and do this without having to drop the liquid so not too daunting.

Associate
It all seems to be working relatively well for me at the moment. Might upgrade for the DDC 4.2 when it comes out though (just in case).

I can put my case on its side and do this without having to drop the liquid so not too daunting.

Don't bother.. as far as i'm aware the 4.2 is identical to the 3.2 only that the molex is replaced with a sata connection and is braided. Nice build btw :)

Edit.. didn't realise you had a 3.1

Soldato
OP
Don't bother.. as far as i'm aware the 4.2 is identical to the 3.2 only that the molex is replaced with a sata connection and is braided. Nice build btw :)

Edit.. didn't realise you had a 3.1

Thanks!

Yeah, unfortunately. I was completely unaware of the 3.1 issues so an upgrade to the 4.2 would be the best course of action here.

V F

V F

Soldato
The waterblock just looks amazing, but Im sure alphacool can do the job just as well :D Just be careful using thick rads with the distro plate, from what I've been told, the pump that comes with it may not sufficient to push the liquid effectively through the loop. But ive bought mine used with the upgraded pump, so I wouldn't know personally!

Hmm... Any distro plate would struggle with a 60mm radiator?

Associate
I have a single 60mm Alphacool rad with 4.2 pump and flow rate is fine. I never run over 30percent flow rate. The 4.2 noticeably drained the distro plate Res section much faster than the 3.1 it came with.

Soldato
OP
I have a single 60mm Alphacool rad with 4.2 pump and flow rate is fine. I never run over 30percent flow rate. The 4.2 noticeably drained the distro plate Res section much faster than the 3.1 it came with.

You find fitting the 4.2 to the G1 relatively easy? Anything I need to be aware of?

Back
Top Bottom