Office Chair vs. Gaming Chair

Soldato
Bought a G64 back in March from UOFC to replace an ageing cheap argos office chair, I was going to get an Ikea Markus but I definitley feel like I've made the right choice, this chair is fantastic with lots of adjustabilty and came re-upholstered, only downside was a bit of "office dust" in the nooks, easily cleaned up.

There is a label in the bottom stating manufacturer date is 2003, very impressed how well an 18 year old chair holds up!

Caporegime
Bought a G64 back in March from UOFC to replace an ageing cheap argos office chair, I was going to get an Ikea Markus but I definitley feel like I've made the right choice, this chair is fantastic with lots of adjustabilty and came re-upholstered, only downside was a bit of "office dust" in the nooks, easily cleaned up.

There is a label in the bottom stating manufacturer date is 2003, very impressed how well an 18 year old chair holds up!
Yup, I love my Giroflex 64 too. Amazing chairs. :)

Associate
After 2 months of research and many reviews read, I would like to have a budget to get a Herman Miller, but it would be way beyond what I could afford.
I found a similar chair with great reviews because I'm tall and heavy, I bought this one and no doubt one of the best chairs I've had in years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MQ2HRDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MQ2HRDZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
game chair are sh***

Soldato
Having looked through this thread, I've gone for a Gesture. I spend much of my day at my desk so wanted something that was going to look after me over the next decade :)

Was either that or the Herman Miller Embody.

Associate
So its taken a month to receive a g64 draughtsman chair from 2ndhnd and it's arrived wet and damaged. At least it got to us I guess, the first one was damaged by the courier who never bothered to tell anyone :rolleyes: fingers crossed the third is ok :(

Permabanned
So my brother has been bought a few gaming chairs over the last years, and I'm always baffled because there never seems anything particularly special for it in relation to the price. Do you pay the premium for the support? What is it that you're paying for if nothing folds out or is automated???

Soldato
So my brother has been bought a few gaming chairs over the last years, and I'm always baffled because there never seems anything particularly special for it in relation to the price. Do you pay the premium for the support? What is it that you're paying for if nothing folds out or is automated???

Lining the bosses pocket. They can’t even claim it’s R&D to justify the higher cost.

Man of Honour
I was considering many different chairs and in the end went for the Noblechairs Hero Black Edition.

*snip*

Just to follow this up, while I liked the chair, the seat base was digging into the back of my legs, really not good, so I've returned it. It's angled slightly upwards which starts cutting off the blood supply to your legs :eek:

Google suggests a few people have had a similar issue, not sure what to make of it really.

Anyway, I'm back in a Markus, great chair and really suits how I like to sit.

Associate
I think my ergonomic chair journey has finally come to an end. Started off with the steelcase gesture and leap v2 but both ended up giving me tailbone pain (and the gesture headrest ended up giving me neck pain instead of alleviating it when lounging).

Tried out the aeron chair afterwards and there was no tailbone pain. It was awesome for summer heat too but I generally have an "active" posture when sitting and switch positions a lot (cross legged, one leg up etc.) and the hard edge made it hard to be comfy (even with the largest size C model). The Atlas suspension headrest felt great but after a while it started giving me neck pain. After taking it off and sitting more 'ergonomically' the neck pain went away and I didn't miss the headrest as much. I wanted the white size C to match my desk aesthetic and since that'll take around 3 weeks to arrive (made to order) I decided to order the logitech embody chair since it'd come quicker.

And I believe this is the one I'm going to keep. The sync fabric material is very comfortable to sit in whenever I'm cross legged and there's no hard edges or whatever to dig into the thighs. The actual back of the chair supports my back very well, I don't even feel the need for a headrest after prolonged sitting periods. Feels like its hugging my back (I'm 5ft11 63kg). The armrests certainly feel the most clunky of the chairs I tried but the adjustments it provides fits my needs just fine so I'm not fussed over it. There is "creaking" with certain parts of the chair but for the most part I'm not fiddling with them so I don't hear it (like the moving extended seat with a restless leg, or pressing far back on the back of the chair).

Atlas are making a headrest for embody chairs if anyone wants it (ETA 9-12 months). I believe Ahnestly (on Youtube) will be making a vid on it since he had a Q&A session with the Atlas team last week. There's also some WIP pictures of it if you google for it.

Associate

You are paying for... nothing. Maybe just marketing? Gamer aesthetic?

Most gaming chairs are stupid and are not in any way good value for money vs good office chairs.

Soldato
People buy gaming chairs because they look like the sport bucket seats that high end sports cars which they can't afford have. You can't afford a 70k sports car but you can afford a 700 rip off look alike chair

Caporegime
Is it possible that if I change my office chair from an Ikea office chair to some gaming chair for $ 700, I will stop taking a bad posture while gaming? (My cross starts to hurt)
Search the thread for 'gaming chairs' and read the feedback about them. They (and their alternatives) have been discussed in detail.

Associate
I need a new chair and after reading this forum I am looking at a refurbished office chair. Current options that are in stock and in my price range are the g64 and the orangebox DO.

The problem I have had with every computer chair is that the seat padding soon breaks down so that I am effectively sitting on the hard base. Both the above chairs seem to be of the same construction with what looks like a hard base with a thin layer of foam on top. I see a couple of people here have the g64, any comments on how well the seat padding holds up? Especially with them being used. I think the suppliers are re covering them but obviously on top of the original foam.

The only alternative seems to be the HM aeron style with a mesh seat but they are probably out of my price range.

Associate
I need a new chair and after reading this forum I am looking at a refurbished office chair. Current options that are in stock and in my price range are the g64 and the orangebox DO.

The problem I have had with every computer chair is that the seat padding soon breaks down so that I am effectively sitting on the hard base. Both the above chairs seem to be of the same construction with what looks like a hard base with a thin layer of foam on top. I see a couple of people here have the g64, any comments on how well the seat padding holds up? Especially with them being used. I think the suppliers are re covering them but obviously on top of the original foam.

The only alternative seems to be the HM aeron style with a mesh seat but they are probably out of my price range.
Could always get a gel cushion for the seat if the padding isn't sufficient enough.

Soldato
I bought an executive leather office chair on Gumtree for £20 in excellent condition. Extremely comfortable. Before that, I used a kitchen chair which came as part a set of 4 with a table.

Underboss
Costco has a La-Z-Boy executive chair, anyone used one or have an opinion? Looks like a slightly fancier version of a cheapo chair from Argos to me but might be worth a punt at that price if you have Costco membership.

Back
Top Bottom