*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

Soldato
restarting from scratch every time there is a patch for a game is a good reason not to buy it.
:D True but it'd be the first time. I started playing it soon after release but dipped in and out with months in-between and still only very early on in the game (12% I think). So if the next patch is large enough/lots of improvements I must just give it a go from the beginning again as I don't feel I'm getting the best out of it either when I try to pick up playing the game again. Doing the training stuff again might be good, and hacking etc. Not looked to see if this can be done again without restarting it.

Man of Honour
Anyone got some suggestions for best armour items? Feeling like I’m still a bit too easy to kill when going against harder enemies.

By far the biggest factor in armour is the number of mod slots on it. The reason for that is the armadillo mod. Even the worst armadillo mod adds significantly to armour class. The best armadillo mod, crafted by a player with max crafting skill and who crafts a bunch and picks out the highest tier ones (epic, I think, maybe rare - I remember that you can't craft legendary tier armadillo mods but I'm not sure about epic ones), is extraordinary. Without any shenanigans you can raise your armour class to over 5000, which makes you close to invulnerable. Close explosions and other instadeath triggers (like walking down the "wrong" set of stairs) will kill you, but nothing can prevent that. I think it might perhaps be possible for an enemy with a weapon with an extremely high damage per hit to kill you, maybe.

So if you want the most effective armour, learn the armadillo mod. Shops sell plans for it IIRC. It's definitely not hard to learn. Slap armadillo mods in every mod slot on every item of clothing. It all stacks. The displayed figures on each piece will be wrong (unless that bug's been fixed since I last played) but the total armour class shown on your character screen will be right.

It's mainly a matter of armour class. Protection against elemental effects has some use, but most of what hits you will be kinetic energy and that's countered by armour class. Generally, higher tier (common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary) clothing will be better armour, but it's mainly a matter of the number of mod slots. Crafting applies again. Crafting is very powerful in CP2077. Item level (which you can't see because that's one of the design flaws in CP2077) has a significant effect on armour class (and everything else, like weapon damage). One of the reasons why crafting is so useful is that you always craft items (including mods) to your current level so you can just craft new ones as you level. Found items almost never level with you. I think Clippy does and I think that's the only one that does. Maybe uniques do, but I don't think so. You can upgrade a lower level item up to your current level, but it's very expensive in terms of resources and I found it to be not worth it. But both my characters were heavily into crafting, so YMMV. You can also find legendary clothing items in fixed locations - there are details online if you want to look for them. The last time I played, legendary clothing plans were still bugged, so they only appeared the first time you entered a clothing shop that sold them and never again in that shop. If you plan on crafting legendary clothing, you might want to see if that bug has been fixed or do the workaround - never enter a clothing shop unless you have a huge wad of money to buy all the legendary clothing plans the shop has on that first visit. Save before entry and save scum to get the ones you want, if you like. It's a valid workaround for a bug, since the shops should restock with a different selection of legendary clothing plans each time. Not all clothing shops ever sell legendary clothing plans - it's mainly the upmarket (and hugely expensive) clothing shops in the higher level zones of the city. City centre, mainly.

Do you know about the zoning? Roughly, the level of a zone increases in a roughly clockwise pattern from the top. The zone you start in is the easiest, then the one to the east/southeast, etc, with the last one being city centre. Sort of like the pattern on a snail shell. You can move straight south from the starting zone into the city centre right away, which won't go well. The game gives you no indication of any of this, of course. Another design flaw.

Also what’s the best way to level up fast so I can upgrade guns?

I wouldn't upgrade guns. I'd replace them. Later on, I'd craft my own guns from legendary weapon plans. To level up, I'd suggest doing all the side gigs and street gigs in whatever zone you can easily handle at the time. All the police scanner jobs too. Any street crime events that happened to pop up nearby (the flashing blue stars). Maybe go full psycho vigilante and kill gang members on sight. When you see them, scan them to find one with a bounty on them. You can kill people with a bounty on them on sight - they are literally outlawed. When the other gang members attack you, you can kill them too without any legal repercussions (it's deemed to be self defence) even if they don't have a bounty on them. Just don't hit civilians by mistake - the police teleport in if you do that.

It's worth keeping an eye on your stats and skills. Skills level with use, but only up to the level of the governing stat. So if you have, for example, a reflexes stat of 8 you will only be able to level weapon skills governed by the reflex stat (e.g. rifles and handguns) up to level 8. Any further use of those weapons will not train your skill in them until you raise the governing stat. It's more efficient to switch to something else, something you can still level. That way, you'll gain perk points faster and some probably useful bonuses since each skill level adds a bonus of some kind.

Soldato
By far the biggest factor in armour is the number of mod slots on it. The reason for that is the armadillo mod. Even the worst armadillo mod adds significantly to armour class. The best armadillo mod, crafted by a player with max crafting skill and who crafts a bunch and picks out the highest tier ones (epic, I think, maybe rare - I remember that you can't craft legendary tier armadillo mods but I'm not sure about epic ones), is extraordinary. Without any shenanigans you can raise your armour class to over 5000, which makes you close to invulnerable. Close explosions and other instadeath triggers (like walking down the "wrong" set of stairs) will kill you, but nothing can prevent that. I think it might perhaps be possible for an enemy with a weapon with an extremely high damage per hit to kill you, maybe.

So if you want the most effective armour, learn the armadillo mod. Shops sell plans for it IIRC. It's definitely not hard to learn. Slap armadillo mods in every mod slot on every item of clothing. It all stacks. The displayed figures on each piece will be wrong (unless that bug's been fixed since I last played) but the total armour class shown on your character screen will be right.

It's mainly a matter of armour class. Protection against elemental effects has some use, but most of what hits you will be kinetic energy and that's countered by armour class. Generally, higher tier (common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary) clothing will be better armour, but it's mainly a matter of the number of mod slots. Crafting applies again. Crafting is very powerful in CP2077. Item level (which you can't see because that's one of the design flaws in CP2077) has a significant effect on armour class (and everything else, like weapon damage). One of the reasons why crafting is so useful is that you always craft items (including mods) to your current level so you can just craft new ones as you level. Found items almost never level with you. I think Clippy does and I think that's the only one that does. Maybe uniques do, but I don't think so. You can upgrade a lower level item up to your current level, but it's very expensive in terms of resources and I found it to be not worth it. But both my characters were heavily into crafting, so YMMV. You can also find legendary clothing items in fixed locations - there are details online if you want to look for them. The last time I played, legendary clothing plans were still bugged, so they only appeared the first time you entered a clothing shop that sold them and never again in that shop. If you plan on crafting legendary clothing, you might want to see if that bug has been fixed or do the workaround - never enter a clothing shop unless you have a huge wad of money to buy all the legendary clothing plans the shop has on that first visit. Save before entry and save scum to get the ones you want, if you like. It's a valid workaround for a bug, since the shops should restock with a different selection of legendary clothing plans each time. Not all clothing shops ever sell legendary clothing plans - it's mainly the upmarket (and hugely expensive) clothing shops in the higher level zones of the city. City centre, mainly.

Do you know about the zoning? Roughly, the level of a zone increases in a roughly clockwise pattern from the top. The zone you start in is the easiest, then the one to the east/southeast, etc, with the last one being city centre. Sort of like the pattern on a snail shell. You can move straight south from the starting zone into the city centre right away, which won't go well. The game gives you no indication of any of this, of course. Another design flaw.

I wouldn't upgrade guns. I'd replace them. Later on, I'd craft my own guns from legendary weapon plans. To level up, I'd suggest doing all the side gigs and street gigs in whatever zone you can easily handle at the time. All the police scanner jobs too. Any street crime events that happened to pop up nearby (the flashing blue stars). Maybe go full psycho vigilante and kill gang members on sight. When you see them, scan them to find one with a bounty on them. You can kill people with a bounty on them on sight - they are literally outlawed. When the other gang members attack you, you can kill them too without any legal repercussions (it's deemed to be self defence) even if they don't have a bounty on them. Just don't hit civilians by mistake - the police teleport in if you do that.

It's worth keeping an eye on your stats and skills. Skills level with use, but only up to the level of the governing stat. So if you have, for example, a reflexes stat of 8 you will only be able to level weapon skills governed by the reflex stat (e.g. rifles and handguns) up to level 8. Any further use of those weapons will not train your skill in them until you raise the governing stat. It's more efficient to switch to something else, something you can still level. That way, you'll gain perk points faster and some probably useful bonuses since each skill level adds a bonus of some kind.
Wow this is a huge help! Amazing advice. I had no idea on zoning so will definitely follow that. Hopefully the clothes shop bug is fixed but will have to watch out for that.

Man of Honour
Wow this is a huge help! Amazing advice. I had no idea on zoning so will definitely follow that. Hopefully the clothes shop bug is fixed but will have to watch out for that.

I don't remember the zone names off the top of my head. There are zones and sub-zones within zones, all named. What you see depends on which level of zoom you have on the map. I don't like giving partial information, so I'll look it up to refresh my memory...

...ah, here's a good map that shows the zones and subzones and gives the author's recommendations for player level for each. That last part is their opinion and they rate subzones within a zone slightly differently (and Pacifica lower than Santo Domingo and Badlands, which I'm not sure is right), but that may well be reasonable and the variation in difficulty between zones is objectively true.

https://game-maps.com/C77/CP77-zone-level-range.asp

Soldato
I tried this out last night, with my new 3060ti, and was stunned by how good it looks in the opening stages.

Skimming through the posts above, I can see I'll be spending a lot of time in menus...

Associate
I would recommend installing some mods too. I've found that it really enhances the game in places and fixes issues in others. The mods I use are...

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Cyber Engine Tweaks - Scripting framework for modders and quality of life fixes.
Redscript - Compiler for Cyberpunk2077 scripts
Level Scaling and Balance
Sensible Stamina and Athletics
True Hidden Everything
GTA Travel
No Camera Auto Centering
Holster by Tap
Always First Equip
Alternative Character Lighting

Soldato
might be but dont think so. played the game just the other evening and the 1.23 came out in Jun didnt it?

Guess I'll find out once the game launches!

Soldato
I would recommend installing some mods too. I've found that it really enhances the game in places and fixes issues in others. The mods I use are...

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077

Cyber Engine Tweaks - Scripting framework for modders and quality of life fixes.
Redscript - Compiler for Cyberpunk2077 scripts
Level Scaling and Balance
Sensible Stamina and Athletics
True Hidden Everything
GTA Travel
No Camera Auto Centering
Holster by Tap
Always First Equip
Alternative Character Lighting

While nexus mods work fine for me in the Witcher I cannot get them working in CyberPunk.

I updated Nexus
Installed CyberPunk tools thingy
downloaded mods
installed them
Enabled them and they are ticked green in Nexus
Launch game from Nexus

But no mods work, not even the skip intro videos one. I just assumed it was another 2077 bug? Anything simple that I am missing?

Soldato
While nexus mods work fine for me in the Witcher I cannot get them working in CyberPunk.

I updated Nexus
Installed CyberPunk tools thingy
downloaded mods
installed them
Enabled them and they are ticked green in Nexus
Launch game from Nexus

But no mods work, not even the skip intro videos one. I just assumed it was another 2077 bug? Anything simple that I am missing?

Yeah the manager can't seem to manage Cyberpunk mods properly. It's best to just manually download the mods and self install. It's really easy though so no issues.

Most mods will go in to the following folder structure under the main cyberpunk game folder
/archive/pc/mod

There's the occasional mod which uses an older folder structure in their zips. You just need to move them to the above folder and it should work
The only different one is the Redscript, it'll go in to a different folder

Associate
Yes installing them manually is the best way. Make sure they're up to date and work with the latest patch. The mods I listed all work.

It makes me sad to say but I have a feeling that they may just leave the game in this state.

Man of Honour
is this a still buy when its on special discount?

I paid the full £50 for it and I'm OK about that price. I think it was worth £50 as long as you have no expectations of it. If you're expecting anything like the game CDPR falsely claimed it was, you'll be disappointed at any price. If you can ignore that and take the game as it is, it's a decent game that's rushed and unfinished and has an excellent setting with some excellent storytelling (probably the bits that were properly finished rather than being rushed into a semi-finished state for release).

Associate
It's worth it but to repeat an earlier post. Install some QoL life mods before you start. I also found that lowering the crowd density helped with my immersion as the AI is just terrible. Hiding the fact helps.

Man of Honour
Just started playing, must say the game world is stunning !

The unfinished nature of it intrudes sooner or later. The city looks superficially great but it soon becomes apparent that it's a facade lacking in substance. The complete lack of AI makes it worse - almost the entire population consists of reskins (and many duplicates) of characters who repeat the same animation until they just disappear (which happens often, especially if you look away and look back). There are only three movement animations - normal walk, dejected shuffle, dejected shuffle while holding their arm. The vehicle lack of AI is even worse. Almost all buildings, including shops, are just a facade. The underground railway system is just a facade (that was one of the many things cut in the last minute rush to get the game out despite it not being finished).

But the groundwork is there. The gameworld is mostly done and the bits that are finished are finished well. It's atmospheric. It conveys the yawning chasm of the wealth gap in the city and the bleakness of most of it. You can walk from Watson to City Centre(*) in a couple of minutes and the contrast is suitably jarring. The badlands are suitably scrappy and desolate and beautiful. The industrial insect protein farms are suitably industrial and regimented and ugly. Pacifica is suitably unfinished and decaying, but in that case the unfinished nature of the area is deliberate. Pacifica is an abandoned shopping and recreation area on the edge of the city, never finished.

It's the same thing with the storytelling, in all its forms - NPCs, notes, environmental. When it's finished, properly finished, it's excellent. You might encounter the NPC side mission "Happy Together", which is good storytelling. Good in the sense of done well. It's a grim story, although if you do everything right you can make life in Night City much less grim for one person. In Night City, that's a high point. You will very likely encounter the NPC sidequest arc "The Hunt", which is very well done. Depending on your decisions in earlier quests, you might encounter the NPC story arc culminating in "Pyramid Song", which is excellent storytelling. It's one of the few occasions in CP2077 when you have a real choice and your choice has consequences. Only in how a single NPC treats you, but that's far more consequential than almost all of your choices in the game.

I took a screenshot primarily because the clothing on my first character amused me. It was wholly functional - they were wearing the legendary clothing items that I'd found ingame (this was before I knew about the legendary clothing plan bug) and I provisionally entitled the image "Dress like a gonk day". But I decided to have a stab at making a decent photo, something showing Night City physically and psychologically. So it's a vigilante posing with corpses in the background, having been paid by the city authorities to kill those people. Night City mentality. The background is Pacifica in the dreary gray of evening with a dreary drizzle of rain, showing the abandoned amusement park in the background. There's an advert for methamphetimine in the background, glowing bright in the wet, filthy urban decay. I think it came together pretty well. I'll link to the post I made with the screenshot in it:

*** Cyberpunk 2077 ***

That's at 1440 with medium settings and no ray tracing. The gameworld is well made. It's a shame the game was rushed out before it was finished. There's a great deal of potential in the setting.

Incidentally, the rollercoaster you see in the background is functional. You can ride it with Johnny and he reacts to it. One of the minor bits of storytelling that was finished.

* Don't do this early in the game unless you are strictly sightseeing only. City Centre is the endgame zone and all the enemies there are much harder. If you go to City Centre and get involved in any fighting without being suitably skilled and equipped, you will get slaughtered.

Back
Top Bottom