• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Do I need to DDU when changing Graphics Card?

Associate
I currently have a 1660 super (the drivers do need updating to the latest meaning they are one behind version behind latest stable) and am getting a 3060ti (thanks Overclockers!!) next week. Do I need to perform a DDU or will I be ok just clean reinstalling drivers?

Caporegime
No. When I went GTX1080 to 2070 Super I right clicked the graphics card in Device manager, chose uninstall, cancelled the reboot, shutdown then removed the card. Installed new card, booted up, windows recognised new card straight away and installed the drivers. I already had the latest NVidia drivers already downloaded and I performed a clean install, just to be sure but it seemed to be working OK on first boot.

Man of Honour
If you haven't got the message yet, absolutely not, despite some people talking about it as if it's recommended. It hasn't been that way for really quite a while now.

Associate
OP
If you haven't got the message yet, absolutely not, despite some people talking about it as if it's recommended. It hasn't been that way for really quite a while now.

Yeah thanks everyone for replying. The last time I performed a DDU was when I switch from my RX580 to 1660 super. I won't do one when I install my new card. :D

Permabanned
I currently have a 1660 super (the drivers do need updating to the latest meaning they are one behind version behind latest stable) and am getting a 3060ti (thanks Overclockers!!) next week. Do I need to perform a DDU or will I be ok just clean reinstalling drivers?

A change from a GeForce to a GeForce can happen without using DDU.
You need DDU if you go with a new AMD Radeon.

But, in all cases, there is nothing wrong in using DDU.
It can clean the system and registries from wrong drivers code :D

Associate
replaced my rx 480 with a 3070 today unistalled amd software from control panel shut down swapped cards installed nvidia drivers works fine no ddu

Associate
Don't really need to use DDU unless you run into a problem or there are actual issues turning up. The only time I used DDU recently was when I installed a new new Nvidia driver back around March 2020 for Doom Eternal release, I ran into a problem where the driver did not seem to activate itself properly, so then I did safe mode, used DDU to run a clean install Nvidia Drivers, then it worked fine. It's not really an issue like it used to be, but a handy tool if you do need it use it, it's just not required just to update your drivers.

Back
Top Bottom