Reliable cheap small car for parents

Caporegime
Unfortunately the Jazz is out. Apparantly around here there have been a lot of catalytic converter thefts on Hondas of a certain age which includes these Jazz's of 2010 era.

My mom really likes the VW polo circa 2009 age.
She’ll pay a little bit extra as it’s a VW but if she likes it, get one.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have access to a pricing guide please?

VW Polo 3 dr hatchback 1.4 Match petrol, 2009, 30,000 miles.

On sale for £3900 (dealer) which seems a tad high. Autotrader says that its a 'great' price but the range given by the free Parkers pricing tool is nowhere near that.

Soldato
OP
Why not another fiesta? Should be able to pickup an 05 ish plate for your budget.

Loads about yeah, but my Mom is quite short and she didn't feel comfortable in the seating position. To be fair, having seen the newer Fiesta's dashboards, they are quite garish. I think she likes the minimalist layout of the Polo and was sat quite higher in it too.

They are happy to spend a bit more than the original budget I had said, and want something that will last them a long time.

Soldato
OP
i10 is a little small really. They want a small car, but not a 'city' car. They need a bit of a boot and they take the grandkids in the back occassionally.

Seeing a Polo and a Clio today, one of those might make the cut I think. Same age, same mileage, same condition on paper, Clio is £1500 cheaper.

Soldato
OP
Isn't cat theft only the hybrid models? Not sure it effects every model

No it seems its on the Jazz particularly the 2008-2010 cars not just hybrids.

We know others who have been victims in the area on that specific car.

They've gone for a Polo, £3700. Its nice. Feel a bit expensive personally but it seems all used cars have got more expensive lately.

Back
Top Bottom