Turning corners

Associate
I’ve had 5 lessons and still get a bit nervous when it’s time to drive. What I’m struggling with is turning corners when on an incline it’s like panic sets in and I forget everything! Any advice?

Associate
Think of the appropriate gear you might need before you reach the corner so that you're ready to swap the car into that gear just before the corner. Then usual mirror, signal, turn etc. Even if you are a bit slower than people might like and hold traffic up behind you before the turn, don't worry about it. You're a learner driver and it happens to everyone at the start (except maybe some of the gods gifts to driving on this forum:p). I wouldn't put to much pressure on myself after 5 lessons because from a quick google it takes the average person 45 lessons to learn.

Soldato
as with learning any new skill it's all about practice, the more you do something the better you'll get at it.

I wouldn't put to much pressure on myself after 5 lessons because from a quick google it takes the average person 45 lessons to learn.

i'd say it depends how you go about it.

for example i only did 6 lessons, however that's deceiving as i did a lot of driving practice in the evenings in my parents car and was only taking the lessons for the "proper" method of doing x/y/z. if i couldn't do that then i can see how 45 lessons worth of wheel time would be about right if you had to book a lesson just to get behind the wheel.

Soldato
Don't worry you'll soon be driving one handed fiddling with the CD player or filling your vape or plugging your phone into the usb with the other hand while your cornering like a pro.

Associate
OP
Think of the appropriate gear you might need before you reach the corner so that you're ready to swap the car into that gear just before the corner. Then usual mirror, signal, turn etc. Even if you are a bit slower than people might like and hold traffic up behind you before the turn, don't worry about it. You're a learner driver and it happens to everyone at the start (except maybe some of the gods gifts to driving on this forum:p). I wouldn't put to much pressure on myself after 5 lessons because from a quick google it takes the average person 45 lessons to learn.
I know everyone is different and guess people are better at some parts of driving than others. Had another lesson today and wasn’t too bad. Think corners will be the bane of my life!

Soldato
Hill street in centre of Brum used to frighten me even after I passed my test -around 1967-8 -It's not called Hill street for nothing - go up there and lights turned red and panic - handbrake on -foot on foot brake - first gear and plenty of revs -the hand brake was pull out of dash so was useless so a very quick soft shoe shuffle. I googled Hill street and can't see if it's blocked or not now. if I remember correct you turned left or right at the top.

So Dee -don't worry it will come to you just give it time. You are probably better after 5 lessons than half the idiots on the road now.

Back
Top Bottom