• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Caporegime
AMD still can't seem to shift the volume that Nv can, still fairly price-sensitive and they're a bit blind to that sometimes. Even at RRP they might struggle to shift the volume expected.

Soldato
Nah, AMD stock everywhere atm but it's more than people generally are willing to pay.

AMD has for years marketed themselves as the budget conscious option - but they switched to a Premium brand so fast that the market hasn't quite caught up yet, so you still have a lot of people who view AMD as a budget option and when they see AMD's high prices they just go buy Intel/Nvidia because they think the AMD product is not worth the price.

A lot of this is just consumer perception and AMD's own marketing for the prior 10 years that's ingrained into people's minds - I still regularly come across people who give me funny looks when I tell them I'm using An AMD cpu in my high end gaming rig

Associate
Most reviews have tended to come down on the side of Nvidia because of the benefits of DLSS (FSR only recently been out) plus despite the scalper prices at retail most of the reviews haven't been calling out the performance to price like this review did of the 3060, https://youtu.be/hSoqOVli55I?t=503

Soldato
6500XT mass produced (and therefore, more affordable) would be a nice Christmas present for a lot of people this year, but it's not gonna happen unfortunately.

Caporegime
It'll be interesting to see how these stack up in the upcoming reviews. Might be worthy as an interim upgrade to tide me over for a year or so.

Soldato
Even though AMD has caught up with Nvidia with RDNA 2 in terms of performance, unless AMD can produce graphics cards at the massive scale required for RDNA3, I don't think Nvidia has much to worry about.

According to Steam hardware stats, There are 11 times more Nvidia RTX 3000 cards installed + using Steam, than RDNA 2 cards... RDNA 2 cards are like gold dust in 2021.
Just going to drag this comment over here.

Why do people talk about AMD wafer supply like, AMD decided how many cards to produce a week before it launched the cards?

The supply agreement was probably finalised mid 2020 (probably around May 2020). Some could argue that they were making arrangements in 2019 or earlier (it depends on the lead time for the equipment).

In May 2020, what reason did AMD have to believe that they would be selling everything they could make? All you have to do is go and look at the thread this post came from to see how people didn't even think AMD could compete with Nvidia's top end.

It is a **** situation but prior to Nvidia blowing their lead (Or AMD making huge strides you decide) there is no reason for AMD to believe they would sell a lot of cards. Therefore no reason for them to have pre arranged large manufacturing capabilities.

With RDNA 3 incoming, AMD is closer to Nvidia than they have been in years (maybe a decade), i'm certain that they are already in discussion to increase capacity for that launch. (if they are not doing that, then they either have no confidence in hanging with Nvidia or they are run by idiots.)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah I agree on that. On another thread someone said they marketed themselves as an inferior brand basically absolving nvidia/intel from being the bad guys. Whilst they are not always evil, in the context of how AMD performs historically you can see both corps do as much shenanigans as they can to discredit or mar public perception.

To me AMD shoot themselves in the foot but that's their own fault and do need to hire better marketing. In the eyes of a neutral brand agnostic both competitors have dropped a ball recently in harvesting profits at the cost of innovation.

The only real problem now for the consumer is not so much choice of who to go with, but having to fork out for the die shrinks and the jack up in double/trebling of a unit. Ten years ago a good GPU was £299. Now that will only get you entry level dGPU..

Back
Top Bottom