Checkatrade?

Associate
So it looks like I am running out of options for deciding on a contractor to do our double storey house extension.

I've run into so many dead ends when getting people to quote, even from companies recommend by friends.

We are still waiting for quotes from 2 companies, one came out to assess the property at the end of May. I know everyone is really busy right now but it's been almost 10 weeks now, it feels like they aren't interested in the job anymore.

So I'm beginning to wonder where else I can look to get a quote and schedule someone to begin work, I can only think of checkatrade? But with such a big project I need someone with a reliable track record, and not sure if 20 reviews on checkatrade would be sufficient.

So far I'm 9 months in to exploring potential extension opportunities and so far all I have is an initial set of architect plans, this is such a long process!! :eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Has the architect recommended anyone?

We are 8 weeks in and it was all a ball ache finding someone to take the job on. But we found someone in the end. Just got to stick with it.

Caporegime
That's mental.

Sad matter is a lot of them do take ages to get back to you, I really don't know why...I sit there and think 'just get a planner' :p

Materials are obviously extortionate atm, but that should stop them giving you an estimate or varies estimate....

Soldato
This probably isn't the answer you want to hear but I personally wouldn't be doing an extension at the moment. Material prices are increasing rapidly, availability/logistics of materials is becoming a problem and the market is extremely busy. Even companies as big as Kingspan have had to delay all their orders and most decent builders have work planned in through to 2022.

You'll end up paying more and risking having a half built extension waiting on materials which could be an absolute nightmare on a two storey extension.

We plan to do an extension but will be waiting at least 12-18 months to see what the market does.

Associate
OP
Has the architect recommended anyone?

We are 8 weeks in and it was all a ball ache finding someone to take the job on. But we found someone in the end. Just got to stick with it.

Yes we tried a couple of companies recommended by the architect, same story really still waiting for the quotes to come in.

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear but I personally wouldn't be doing an extension at the moment. Material prices are increasing rapidly, availability/logistics of materials is becoming a problem and the market is extremely busy. Even companies as big as Kingspan have had to delay all their orders and most decent builders have work planned in through to 2022.

You'll end up paying more and risking having a half built extension waiting on materials which could be an absolute nightmare on a two storey extension.

We plan to do an extension but will be waiting at least 12-18 months to see what the market does.

You are probably right, it's been a perfect storm with Brexit and Covid, but unfortunately we have a growing family and need the space. We've even tried moving house but one deal fell through and nothing suitable has come up since.

Unfortunately we don't really have the luxury to be able to wait so we might just have to just suck it up :(

Soldato
I think trades have SO much work right now - they can pick and choose jobs they want.

I've waited 10 months to get my bathroom ripout started (arrived yesterday) - guy and his son who are doing it said they have 5/6 months work lined up. He's quoting next year already.

Trying to find someone to do roofline work is also brutal - Either they turn up and then don't bother quoting or turn up and give me a ridiculous price despite the increased material costs.

Crazy times - Son of the guy doing the job was at college doing Electrical engineering last year but has given that up to work fulltime with his dad as he's so busy.

Associate
to be honest ive about given up on getting a roofer , i need several ridge tile replacing probably 10 plus and some reseating but for three months we have had loads reply to adds wanting to quote and no one turn up either they have forgotten or say they are rescheduling a appointment.....got to miss the polish builders now.
as others have said it not the price , havent even got that far, im partially disabled so here 24/7 no one has turned up, i have the ladders in the garage and it annoys me that what i would have done 10 years ago is causing so much hassle now grrrrrrrrrr.

Soldato
I had a roofer early this year who is on Checkatrade and the tiles he replaced fell off again within 2 weeks. I also think he over charged but that was my fault for not getting other quotes. He did eventually come back to fix his shoddy workmanship but it took 3 phone calls and another 2 weeks, where as when he first did the job he was here the next day!

I've since heard on social media that he's ripped a few grannies off and to avoid him.

So much for services like Checkatrade and Checked and Vetted.

Soldato
It's exactly why I'm waiting. Not being able to get hold of trades to repair an existing building is one thing, not being able to get a trade to attend when the back of the house has been ripped off is a entirely different matter!

Soldato
We're waiting for quotes on a patio and drive, had 7 or 8 people out going back to May and only 3 have come back to us, 1 was more than double the other 2 came back at.

As someone mentioned above it's the perfect combination of Brexit and Covid to make materials short on supply and everyone wanting everything done, got a feeling we won't be getting our work done until early next year at this rate, at least the planet is warming up so we'll get plenty of use out of the patio

Associate
We had a flat roof replaced (fibreglass was felt) by someone with great Checkatrade reviews, 20 year warranty offered etc… 7 years in the roof started leaking, the guys gone bust so we got someone else to take a look. Got a second and third opinion, all say that it’s a right bodge job.

I’ll never use checkatrade again.

Man of Honour
Yeah material price and availability is causing a lot of issues right now. Supply is a mess with a ton of stuff one minute and a total shortage another.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I had a roofer early this year who is on Checkatrade and the tiles he replaced fell off again within 2 weeks. I also think he over charged but that was my fault for not getting other quotes. He did eventually come back to fix his shoddy workmanship but it took 3 phone calls and another 2 weeks, where as when he first did the job he was here the next day!

I've since heard on social media that he's ripped a few grannies off and to avoid him.

So much for services like Checkatrade and Checked and Vetted.

Yep mate, pretty much anyone can setup a chekatrade type account means nowt now unfortunatley.

Friends and family recommendations are the way to go

Soldato
Even when you get the quote back (with current material price hikes) any contractor worth their salt (unless you fall very lucky) are probably booked up for quite some time

As for Checkatrade or similar - forget it and go with personal reccomendations. Just as bad as Facebook with friends and family posting glowing reviews for the tradesman / company

Soldato
I would not recommend checkatrade, the mother in law found an electrician on there he was dreadful, took advantage of her, we ended up getting another electrician in spending two weeks fixing the issues he left behind.

Associate
Re: Shortages of supplies, our builder says he has to order well in advance. So no hold ups yet on that front.

Soldato
We’ve had great success with checkatrade. Sparky and roofer both first class.

The other hidden benefit is we asked the sparky to recommend plumber & brickie based on the fact his work was great so he won’t risk his reputation recommending crap people.

Plumber and brickie where equally superb. As people have already said anyone worth their salt will be booked up for months.

Permabanned
I tried to get a plumber for a boiler service and fixing a tiny leak the last few weeks on checkatrade, submitted 4 times and nobody called me back.

I moved to LocalHeroes and got a call back within an hour. (Though its no good for building work)

Back
Top Bottom