Remove toilet rim block

Associate
After some advise.

The wife buys them toilet blocks that hang on the edge of the toilet for when you flush. Seems one of the kids knocked it off and it’s now been flushed. Without knowing I might have also pushed it further down.

What’s the best way to remove, thinking one of them toilet snakes perhaps?

Would have been one of these

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/toilet-rim-blocks-2pk-pine-fresh-3520912

Soldato
If you can not feel it by trying to get your hand/arm around the ubend, then might be worth a shot, otherwise you need to get a professional in

Soldato
Turn water off to toilet, flush, take of u-bend, fish out, screw u-bend back on, turn water on, flush, check it doesn’t leak…

Buy the ones that stick to the bowel next time

Associate
is it actually still in the pipework or has it flushed away into the sewer, does the water back up when you flush, if not don't worry about it
In the future you could get the ones that go in the cistern

Associate
Turn water off to toilet, flush, take of u-bend, fish out, screw u-bend back on, turn water on, flush, check it doesn’t leak…

That sounds painful, I wouldn't want to stick anything to my bowel :)

Associate
OP
The water does backup that’s the problem.
If No.2’s or paper is used it’s blocks up.

Last night we hear my daughter in another toilet flush loads, we found out another had fell in which we managed to save and that’s now made me realise what’s happened in the other. I’ll try to feel tonight but it’s been a while which made me think of ordering something to try and fish it out.

Associate
The water does backup that’s the problem.
If No.2’s or paper is used it’s blocks up.

Last night we hear my daughter in another toilet flush loads, we found out another had fell in which we managed to save and that’s now made me realise what’s happened in the other. I’ll try to feel tonight but it’s been a while which made me think of ordering something to try and fish it out.

You could try getting a plunger and when it does back up after doing no.2's top up the bowl with more water to give it more pressure behind it and give it a good plunge and it might help moving the toilet block through as by itself it isn't solid enough to be pushed through

Soldato
Yeah one of those rods that's used for unblocking might work here depending on how far down it has gone - hopefully not too far or that's going to be a real ball ache to get out.

Definitely this. I think we use Duck disks and they're just a gel that sticks to the bowl, they're also much more hygienic.

Associate
OP
You could try getting a plunger and when it does back up after doing no.2's top up the bowl with more water to give it more pressure behind it and give it a good plunge and it might help moving the toilet block through as by itself it isn't solid enough to be pushed through

Yeah I’ve had to plunge it a few times (twice after number 2’s and once after just paper). Think I’ll try and fish it out first before I try pushing it through any further.

Soldato
Once the bowl had drained to the normal level, stand in front of the toilet with a big 10ltr builders bucket full of water, and quickly tip it down the pan all in one go as fast as you can. The force of water might dislodge it.

Soldato
Damn beaten to it by above post

What was your kid doing with his hand in the loo to knock it off ?? My hand never goes below seat. Just to clarify I have never had kids or used a toilet block.
I have seen some just held with a wire hook but I am assuming this is in a plastic holder.
If it isn't get a bucket of hot water and flush the loo. The problem with modern loos is they do not use a lot of water to flush with so there is no vast torrent of water to shift anything that shouldn't be there.

I have lazy drains - they were OK in old days with 2 gallon of water on each flush but these days it's about 2 ltrs and no shifting power.

Soldato
Once the bowl had drained to the normal level, stand in front of the toilet with a big 10ltr builders bucket full of water, and quickly tip it down the pan all in one go as fast as you can. The force of water might dislodge it.
I'm not say that this is a bad idea, but I would be worried about pushing the block further down the pipes and it possibly lodging somewhere awkward and smelly.

Soldato
I'm not say that this is a bad idea, but I would be worried about pushing the block further down the pipes and it possibly lodging somewhere awkward and smelly.

Valid point, though I'll bet that it's already lodged somewhere awkward and smelly! I've only used it for massive evacuations or girlfriends using loads of toilet paper, rather than plastic objects.

Maybe the best course of action is to try the approach of poking things down there, and it this doesn't work and you're verging on calling someone out, then try the big bucket of water method.

Soldato
Think I'd try determine where it is first .with either electrical cable or a Ive used a flexible hose with coupling removed;
maybe try and hook it with a long loop of cable, where you can always pull the end through if it got caught.

Associate
Turn the water off. Flush. Empty the ubend and bowl or water. Unscre toilet from floor and pull away from the wall/seal. The plastic thing will likely be stuck just inside the toilet, at the end of the U. Remove. Replace toilet. Turn water back on.
Might need to remove your cistern downpipe or disconnect the mains and remove the cistern too if an all-in-one. But really not a hard job, especially if it's new-ish plumbing and has an isolation valve on the cistern inlet.

Back
Top Bottom