• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much WILL you pay for a graphics card?

Associate
Poor form that from him, the actual scalpers don't keep hold of a card for 11 minutes let alone 11 months. He owes you an apology in my opinion, that's not at all good calling someone out in that way when it's clearly not the case. Totally out of order. He'll either be decent and apologise or call me one of your "protectors". You got lucky Mick, you bought initially at the time having no idea how the entire graphics card thing would pan out, then saw what happened and basically saw the chance to upgrade even further without lashing out. Fair play to you I say.

Kudos to him if he does come along, admit his mistake and apologise. But I'm not holding my breath :cry:
Why on earth would I apologise? Personal opinion is just that you might not agree and that would be yours which I accept.

Last edited:
Associate
Because you called someone out for being something they're not.

Otherwise you might not have edited your post. Still, your decision..

You know what, after a night of heavy drinking and being in yet another foul mood and realising I'm being miserable just to be miserable I shall apologise to him, it's his item he paid for it he can do what he wants.

Associate
I always expected to pay between £700 and £800 for an AIB 3080 card. I have just managed to snag a Palit 3080 for £940 from a competitor (although I would have wanted to buy from OCUK if there was stock). Whilst that's circa £200 over what I would pay, I expect that my 18 month old 2080 Super will re-sell for circa £200 more than it would have back in September 2020, and thus I should come out the same overall.

Associate
id be willing to pay 600 for a 6800, even though thats still massively overpriced for an object that probably cost about 20-30 to make. Id rather go without than support this scam industry by paying 1000. I decided to build my first computer about a year ago and all the other parts have been sitting around in the box for a long time now, i gave up even looking for stock and I was really completely sickened by what I found in this space, from the companies, to the youtube hype channels, to the scalpers, to the sellers, every aspect is truly sickening. I considered just selling everything I bought as its the latest and greatest in every other area, but I wont bother, ill just wait and buy a 6800 next year or something. Considered buying a cheap temp to set everything up but even there you are getting ripped right off and I just wont accept it, ever.

Most of this world has gone to the absolute dogs, the average wage hasnt budged in about 30 years and a house now costs about 30 years work as opposed to 5, and everybody just accepts it. This GPU filth is nothing unique, its just yet another thing that has been ruined.

Soldato
id be willing to pay 600 for a 6800, even though thats still massively overpriced for an object that probably cost about 20-30 to make. Id rather go without than support this scam industry by paying 1000. I decided to build my first computer about a year ago and all the other parts have been sitting around in the box for a long time now, i gave up even looking for stock and I was really completely sickened by what I found in this space, from the companies, to the youtube hype channels, to the scalpers, to the sellers, every aspect is truly sickening. I considered just selling everything I bought as its the latest and greatest in every other area, but I wont bother, ill just wait and buy a 6800 next year or something. Considered buying a cheap temp to set everything up but even there you are getting ripped right off and I just wont accept it, ever.

Most of this world has gone to the absolute dogs, the average wage hasnt budged in about 30 years and a house now costs about 30 years work as opposed to 5, and everybody just accepts it. This GPU filth is nothing unique, its just yet another thing that has been ruined.

You do realise just the gpu chip costs more than your made up £20 - £30 price for a whole graphics card. I don’t want to be rude but you don't live in the real world. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Looking at some pre built options the real cost of including a 3070 seems to be about £650 and a 3080 about £900. Is that viewed as being a good price to get your hands on a card at the moment?

Associate
You do realise just the gpu chip costs more than your made up £20 - £30 price for a whole graphics card. I don’t want to be rude but you don't live in the real world. :rolleyes:
Yes, while there is profiteering, that comment is crazy.
Did they mean £20 - £30 in raw materials mined?
It's like they're expected all steps between raw materials and finished product to be free.
An 8nm or 7nm factory costs what? $3 billion or so to build, then you need to run it etc. all the time your assets is depreciating.
Anyway, we don't have to totally guess as there are yield calculator, wafer prices etc. just to work out the cost of the actual GPU chip. Other parts are sold on the somewhat open market so we can find those out too.

EDIT: to the original question: not enough to get one!

Associate
Looking at some pre built options the real cost of including a 3070 seems to be about £650 and a 3080 about £900. Is that viewed as being a good price to get your hands on a card at the moment?
Honestly for pre builts it's both in stock, available and cheaper than buying separately so in this crazy market I'd say yes, but only if you actually need a full system upgrade. Otherwise you're paying for all the other components just to get your hands on the GPU

Back
Top Bottom