Parallels 19 is out (the thread previously about Parallels 17 and 18)

Commissario
Just had a ping to let me know that Parallels 17 has been released and it's fully M1 compatible - It's still not entirely clear whether it emulates Windows x64 or if it's just the ARM version though.

Soldato
What does Parallels do that VMWare Fusion doesn’t?

I always got the feeling that Parallels was a more enthusiast/expert user tool and Fusion was the “Set it up once and leave it” option for regular users.

Man of Honour
I paid £39.99 to renew Parallels in April and now they want another £39.99 to upgrade to 17, I find that a bit cheeky.

Going to run an internal build of Fusion I think as it's free for me and I have access to the dev builds.

Commissario
OP
I paid £39.99 to renew Parallels in April and now they want another £39.99 to upgrade to 17, I find that a bit cheeky.
They release a new version every year - I'm on their subscription programme and I downloaded Parallels 16 on the 11th August 2020 so it's been almost exactly a year.

This may be my last year. I still need Windows for one or two little tasks but I have a little Dell SFF PC I might repurpose for that and run headless.

Man of Honour
They release a new version every year - I'm on their subscription programme and I downloaded Parallels 16 on the 11th August 2020 so it's been almost exactly a year.

This may be my last year. I still need Windows for one or two little tasks but I have a little Dell SFF PC I might repurpose for that and run headless.
I only got it as the dev build of Fusion at the time wasn't entirely stable, but it's much better now. Parallels is good, really good. It's been better than Fusion for some time however it's a dedicated company for one product; Fusion (and Workstation) are more of an accidental discovery years ago and VMware only has a small team looking after it now. However the latest builds are much better so will be fine to run the odd VM on my M1 Air when needed.

I think it's incredibly cheeky however of Parallels to claim it's Windows ready when there's still no formal license agreement to run Arm based Windows virtualised. Effectively they've been breaking Microsoft's EULA in order to get their Windows Arm ready product to the market and I wouldn't be surprised if there's backlash over it. VMware are still waiting for Microsoft to respond to the licensing questions.

Soldato
What does Parallels do that VMWare Fusion doesn’t?

I always got the feeling that Parallels was a more enthusiast/expert user tool and Fusion was the “Set it up once and leave it” option for regular users.

I use both - a lot. I tend to use Parallels for my desktop type stuff, so Windows 10/11. I find the feel of performance is better - 'feel' is important, as benchmarks seem to indicate they're both very similar. Parallels just feels nicer for my everyday office stuff.

All my work stuff though - mostly Server based - is all on Fusion. I tend to connect to them over RDP. I find Fusion scales a lot better - I get far more guests per host - and it's easy to port over to ESX later on.

I find the every year upgrade to Parallels a little....suspect tbh. They always seem to claim it's x% faster even back from the early days. How they justify that is a bit mystical. Running 17 now on my live stuff and can't say I've noticed any difference.

Commissario
OP
They always seem to claim it's x% faster even back from the early days.
That's the bit that always makes me chuckle. If I were to run up a VM on an old version of Parallels and then look at all the claimed speed increases over the years, the new version should be able to open a VM before I've even clicked on it.

I started moving some of the few apps I still run in a VM onto a spare PC yesterday evening. I should be able to get everything done before my Parallels license renews at the start of December and then I'll cancel it.

Soldato
Yeah - it seems a bit disingenuous doesn't it.

As an update on PL17, I've today rolled back to 16. Had some very odd behaviour the last few days that I don't see under 16. Couple of solid lock ups, as well as the Parallels full screen space just randomly taking focus. I.e., I could be typing in Word and it'll just switch full screen to a Windows desktop. I've also had the guests not accepting keyboard input on both units too.

Lockups on both Mac Minis I have running it. Very annoying - may not be PL17 of course but a hell of a coincidence if it isn't on two updated units.

Man of Honour
Just got my refund on Parallels after 4 years of subscriptions with them

Their support is utter garbage. Paying customers and they expect you to message them on Facebook, Twitter, and a forum that is dead. Messaged on all 3 and was completely ignored for a week. Ironically, the refund request was acknowledged and completed within an hour :D

Shame as it's a cracking product, but their renewal process is junk and it always causes problems every year for me. This year, they didn't even bother to try and fix it

Man of Honour
Going to try out Fusion for Arm later on, see how it plays when importing a Parallels VM for a start.

(please don't ask me for a copy, it's an internal build)

Soldato
is there a way to make parallels just totally independent of the mac os. I don't need the integration type stuff. I want basically a separated windows install that just runs inside the mac. I hate all the documents and shared desktops etc this isn't for me but someone uses it was asking me about it. I tend to keep any windows stuff of my mac including vms

Man of Honour
is there a way to make parallels just totally independent of the mac os. I don't need the integration type stuff. I want basically a separated windows install that just runs inside the mac. I hate all the documents and shared desktops etc this isn't for me but someone uses it was asking me about it. I tend to keep any windows stuff of my mac including vms

Bootcamp unless I'm misunderstanding what you're after?

Partitions your hard drive and gives you the option to boot into MacOS or Windows.

Edit: Just re-reading it, you can disable the file and application sharing within parallels, just open it and go to Actions > Configure > Sharing (for removing folder sharing) and Actions > Configure > Applications to disable opening windows apps within MacOS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom