What condition is your phone in? Do you drop yours often?

Capodecina
Soldato
On a scale of 1 to 5 - 5 being pristine and in full working order, barely a scratch; 1 being smashed screen, scratches everywhere but somehow, by some miracle of God, it still just about works.

I've had mine for about six months and treat it very well, though I dropped it for the first time over the weekend TWICE and was pretty mortified.

However, it has a case and a screen protector and still looks like it came out of the factory, so I'd say it's a 5 currently. Will try to be a little more careful now when tired/drunk.

Man of Honour
All of my phones end their life before I sell them on around a 4, no screen proctor but normally in a thin case.

Current phone is a 5 but it's only 5 months old.

Soldato
I have a Razer phone 2 that I have dropped many times, sometimes from a pretty high place and each time.it happens I pick it up expecting to have to buy a new phone but it stubbornly keeps working. The screen protector is cracked all over and the speaker grills are full of dust.

I'm a Carpenter and work on site all the time so it's a hazardous environment for it tbh.

I'm surprised with its resilience :D.

After all this, if I remove the case and screen protector it would be in good condition so I'd give it a 4.

I stopped being precious about such things a long time ago. It's just a phone (hand entertainment system).

Associate
Most of my newer ones are 5s with my older Note 4s being between 3 (bought used) and 4 (bought new). I haven't dropped a smartphone ever. I did drop a dumb phone once about 12 years ago that bounced straight into a deep puddle that killed it. That was walking back from hospital before the anesthetic had fully worn off after a colonoscopy.

Soldato
I’ve always kept my phones in very good cases with proper glass screen protectors on so I’m very careless with them. I drop them all the time. They’re always 5.

Man of Honour
My main phone is still a Note 4 from release - it is pretty much pristine despite no protector or case and many hours in all kinds of conditions. Same for the Note 1 before that.

The only phone I've had which ended up a bit beaten up was the original Sony Xperia X1 - the finish on the materials was sadly not durable at all.

Soldato
That's interesting that in spite of all that they're still a 5.

I currently have an iPhone 8 Plus. I've had it for years. Same case from the day I got it. Rhinoshield. I've changed the screen protector maybe twice. Last time about 6 months ago. Case is battered. Phone is like new.

I had a 6s before that. I had that in a Rhinoshield. Same thing. I gave it my Mum about 5 years ago. She does the same thing. Lobs it in her handbag with keys and god knows what. That was still like new last time I changed the screen protector on that as well.

I used a lifeproof one on the 4s I had before that. That was the same.

Good case. Good screen protector, not those crap plastic things. Proper edge to edge glass ones that fit under the case edges so you can't tell there's a protector on. I do that, then just don't worry about it.

Same with my iPad. I've got an iPad Mini 4. That's had a Griffin Survivor case on it and a glass protector. That has some some tiny scratches around the charging port where sometimes it's easy to think you're putting the charger in, but it's going in between the case and the pad itself :) I drop that thing almost every day. The case has some weak magnets in that sometimes stick it to stuff and sometimes it falls off onto tiled floors.

Last edited:
Soldato
OEM screen protector has a couple of scratches and the phone itself has a bit of pitting where something has worked its way in to the silicon case, dropped a handful of times but overall I'd say it's 4.5/5

Last edited:
Associate
I look after my phones so they usually just have light scratches on after a few years of use. I don't like cases, don't understand why people spend hundreds on great design then bubble wrap in huge chunky cases.

Having said that, I was getting up from working on my car over the weekend and it slid out my shorts and smashed the rear. I don't usually carry it on me whilst doing things like that but was using it to take pictures of a hard to reach part of the car :(

Oh well, it's done me well for 4 years.

Soldato
Without wishing to tempt fate.......
Each of my last 4 phones I've resold or traded in for "top dollar" due to the overall condition.
I don't think I've ever cracked a screen and I try to keep my phones scratch free if I can. I prefer bump cases which I know only really offer cosmetic protection, but so far that has been enough for me.

Associate
Generally during use, I'll use a fairly heavy-duty case and a glass screen protector where possible. Yes, it adds to the bulk and is less attractive, but I'd rather give those up than tempt fate and have permanent damage. I've dropped my current phone maybe 3-4 times since getting it (~Apr 2020). There's a small chip/radiating crack on the screen protector, so I'm glad I put it on!

Once I'm done with a device, I tend to keep it around just in case. I usually end up trying to repair whatever faults it might have by that time (charging port or dodgy camera or whatever else), with varying degrees of success (mostly due to my own heavy-handedness).

Soldato
2/5

It is a US market Samsung Galaxcy S8 Active that were never available in the UK.

It has been converted to work here somehow.

OLED screen has a green looking blob, only 2 or 3mm but still ruins the condition IMO

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
My iPhone 7 has taken a number of knocks and drops in the 3.5 years I’ve had it, but the Spigen case it wears means it would rate 4.5 / 5 after a good clean.

I have a Pixel 4a 5G. Condition 5, with a solid Spigen 'dad case' on it. Hopefully it will last a couple of years.

Those Spigen cases seem impressive, to be fair, I have one myself. The 'rugged armour' cases are deceptively thin, but somehow they manage to cushion shocks quite well.

Back
Top Bottom