• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Hi guys,

Took receipt of my shiny new 3060ti FE yesterday and all seems good... apart from none of my temp monitoring apps (GPUID etc.) are recording a fan RPM for the card. Its reporting as zero RPM.

Idle temps are good and it seems to make a bit of fan noise when I turn my system on.

I've not gamed yet or stressed it under any load. Is this normal or have I got a faulty unit?

Thanks.

The fan will only spin up if it gets warm enough.

Associate
To give an update on the issue I had I changed the power to normal from prefer maximum performance in the settings. I had also left the lock boost option clicked in the EVGA app. The card is now sitting idle at approx 30 degrees and the fans are off. Once gaming the maximum it has reached is 78 degrees with max clock of around 1880mhz which I am really happy with.

Soldato
All FE cards I have ever had to deal with whine and I'm talking about over 35 of them here, 28 3090 fe's (for work workstations they were in pairs NVLINKed) they all whined to a point and some worse than others and some we sent back to be replaced they were that bad but new ones were either a bit better or worse, 3080 FE my workmate has whines too but he can't hear it where minute it went into a game with high fps it whined loud to me and also the 3080 ti Fe at my friends again whines and he can hear it but doesn't annoy him as he uses speakers when gaming and pretty loud he plays it.

I don't think it comes down to a lottery, I think comes down to how bad it really is and how good the eharing is of the owner. Whine annoys the hell out of me and electrical noise and high pitched sounds from electrical devices. I can even hear the whine of phone chargers sometimes from a long distance away from the wall socket. So depends on you too.

Just be happy you didn't get one with grinding fans as they are the best ones in the FE range. A good few of the 3090s we sent back for replacements also had fans that rattled or made grinding noises, in the end we replaced all the 3090s in the workstations with blower aib cards and regular 3 fan aibs for the workstations as we got fed up of the 3090fes and their headaches from temp problems to whine to fans.

I would say the same about being overly sensitive in all these years never had one that is this annoying and I like to have the computer silent as possible and have that in mind when buying parts and I plan to keep this card for years , I have played around with under volting which has slightly improved it

would it be possible to request replacement ? I would love to try another one if its the same I can live with the fact that I tried doubt it could be any worse

Soldato
Got my 3080 FE yesterday, but still not in the mood to bother with installing it, uninstalling drivers, disconnecting everything out the back of the pc, having to turn the PC it on its side for access, struggling to reach the release tab on current card, and all the rest of it, is just such a tedious process to me these days, that i do it as infrequently as possible.

That fact that its replacing a 2080, so isn't really a completely transformative upgrade, doesn't build up the levels of required enthusiasm to go through all the hassle,either.

Why did I even bother getting one, you may ask?

Because at times I'm a complete fricking idiot with buying PC stuff...It is my Kryptonite, My curse.

Soldato
Got my 3080 FE yesterday, but still not in the mood to bother with installing it, uninstalling drivers, disconnecting everything out the back of the pc, having to turn the PC it on its side for access, struggling to reach the release tab on current card, and all the rest of it, is just such a tedious process to me these days, that i do it as infrequently as possible.

That fact that its replacing a 2080, so isn't really a completely transformative upgrade, doesn't build up the levels of required enthusiasm to go through all the hassle,either.

Because at times I'm a complete fricking idiot with buying PC stuff...It is my Kryptonite, My curse.
That's quite the buyer's remorse :cry:. Do you have a big air cooler like me? Those PCIE retention clips are a real pain.

Soldato

Took my 5 minutes to change the card lol, i didnt uninstall any drivers, i popped the new card in, downloaded drivers and it works perfect

Soldato

Lol it'll be a whole new ball game compared to a 2080. Mind you I replaced a 3080 with a 3080 fe and still think it was worth it. No new drivers just needed a couple of restarts to sort itself out.

Soldato
That's quite the buyer's remorse :cry:. Do you have a big air cooler like me? Those PCIE retention clips are a real pain.

It's not buyers remorse, I don't regret actually buying it, I just need to be in the right frame of mind to bother with installing it..I haven't even broken the seals on the box yet!

I'll get around to it, eventually :p

..and I have a Dark Rock 4 cooler and the release tab is bloody tiny on my motherboard, takes a right contortionist effort to slide my hand in between the cooler and GPU backplate, I tell you. In fact I've had to remove the cooler fan & the RAM modules to get to it before!

Soldato
Lol it'll be a whole new ball game compared to a 2080

Really?

In the most demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077, a 3080 still can't play at 60fps with RT on (@ 4K DLSS Quality, I have a 4K monitor)...my 2080 will be in the mid to high 20fps at those settings whilst from what I've seen of 3080 benchmarks at the same, It will be in the 40's. Which is obviously a lot better but still rather..'Meh, IMO.

Soldato
Really?

In the most demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077, a 3080 still can't play at 60fps with RT on (@ 4K DLSS Quality, I have a 4K monitor)...my 2080 will be in the mid to high 20fps at those settings whilst from what I've seen of 3080 benchmarks at the same, It will be in the 40's. Which is obviously a lot better but still rather..'Meh, IMO.
Suit yourself, I went from a 2080 to a 3080 a long time ago, 3080s are witchcraft.

Associate
Mine also last Friday.

Been waiting for an FE since March of last year so about a year and a half now. I have always said it's not about the card that you want but the card you can get!

Wanted a 3080ti FE which is been sold at around £1400 on average by the AIB partners so when I saw the 3090FE at £1399 it's a no brainer.

Chances of me getting an 3080ti at £1049 may be slim at this time but the 3080ti IS the card to have out of the bunch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine also last Friday.

Been waiting for an FE since March of last year so about a year and a half now. I have always said it's not about the card that you want but the card you can get!

Wanted a 3080ti FE which is been sold at around £1400 on average by the AIB partners so when I saw the 3090FE at £1399 it's a no brainer.

Chances of me getting an 3080ti at £1049 may be slim at this time but it's the card to have out of the bunch.

3080ti FE are actually not that difficult to get when Nvidia drops cards of course unless dont have access to phone during working hours it can be difficult but 3080ti and 3090 dont sell as quick probably because not being as popular

Soldato
3080ti FE are actually not that difficult to get when Nvidia drops cards of course unless dont have access to phone during working hours it can be difficult but 3080ti and 3090 dont sell as quick probably because not being as popular

Yeah, the last 3080Ti drop, the cards were in stock for over an hour.

Soldato
Some people fall for marketing though in thinking they are getting a cheap 3090 rather than an expensive 3080.

Well, the phrase 'no bad cards, just bad pricing' was invented for the 3080Ti.

If they were priced at where they likely would have been in normal times, £799 possibly £849, then I could see the merit in them, despite the less than stellar cooling performance, but £1K+, not a chance.

Back
Top Bottom