Caffeine Detox Time

Soldato
Like many who have had Covid, I've had the seriously fatigued t-shirt through at least a couple of prolonged periods through 2020, my instant coffee consumption went through the roof with regular 3/4 heaped spoons per cup... Pretty much hourly from getting up to ~1600 four days a week! :eek:

I've managed to scale that back to two heaped teaspoons per cup now and not religiously every daylight hour when at home, but it's also been helped by receiving some Black Donkey "Devil's Roast" coffee bags at Xmas, my god they have a caffeine kick!:cool:

Soldato
Decaf coffee could actually be worse for you than the unadulterated thing.

https://www.eatthis.com/side-effects-drinking-decaf-coffee/

Might go some way to explain why decaf coffee in the past has made me feel unexplainably sleepy after drinking.

I think the only point I'd worry about is "The beans are soaked in a chemical solvent that leaches out the caffeine" which is absolutely true. That's why it's important to source decaf coffee produced from the CO2/swiss water method and be wary about high street chains. CO2 is, unsurprisingly, much more expensive than using solvents (Starbucks openly admit using solvents for example). These non solvent processes also mitigate some of the other points in your article about removing health promoting compounds and minerals but obviously decaf is never going to offer the level of supposed health benefits as the real deal.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
So it's been 3 weeks of zero caffeine and it's been hard. I'm still not feeling right, despite all other markers being good (sleep, exercise, diet). I'm still experiencing a big crash mid to late afternoon with crushing tiredness that can only be cleared with a 20 minute power nap. This is the longest I've had withdrawal symptoms.

I feel like a long time crack addict trying to go clean.

Soldato
Don't feel like my single cup of morning coffee a day is affecting me that much and stopped taking any supplements or other drinks with caffeine a while back.

I did get silly with my consumption back in my hotel days with the crazy shift patterns, but didn't help that I literally had the stuff available on tap for free.

Soldato
I drink 1-2 cups of tea or coffee an hour whilst i am up (unless i am out of the house/office), sometimes more? I just enjoy the taste and like having a hot drink, i dont feel energised by it at all, i've never understood the talk of people 'bouncing off the walls' and such with coffee and tea. Now and then i will just have hot water instead and that's fine too, just doesnt taste as nice. I don't find that it has any effect on my bowel movements, my sleeping etc. I sleep normally every night, and i've never been one to nap in the day. I find it interesting to read about all these reactions and the conviction different people have to caffeine and cutting it down etc, but i can't relate to it at all.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I drink 1-2 cups of tea or coffee an hour whilst i am up (unless i am out of the house/office), sometimes more? I just enjoy the taste and like having a hot drink, i dont feel energised by it at all, i've never understood the talk of people 'bouncing off the walls' and such with coffee and tea. Now and then i will just have hot water instead and that's fine too, just doesnt taste as nice. I don't find that it has any effect on my bowel movements, my sleeping etc. I sleep normally every night, and i've never been one to nap in the day. I find it interesting to read about all these reactions and the conviction different people have to caffeine and cutting it down etc, but i can't relate to it at all.

Yea there's a specific genetic trait that determines how you metabolise caffeine. At one end you have people like me who are very sensitive, and with a strong coffee feel very strong effects. Then there are people like you and @Skillmister who smash coffee and don't get any of effects.

https://www.coffeeandhealth.org/201...ts-three-main-groups-of-caffeine-sensitivity/

An individual’s response to caffeine is likely determined by two main genetic factors: whether their liver can metabolise caffeine quickly or slowly1-3.; and whether they carry a genetic variation that makes their central nervous system more sensitive to caffeine’s stimulating effects1,4-8

Based on these genetic factors, Dr Langer has proposed three descriptive levels of overall caffeine sensitivity:

• High sensitivity to caffeine
Slow-metabolism in the liver and high binding in the central nervous system. Even small amounts of caffeine will cause a stimulating effect and higher doses may cause sleep problems, as seen in a minority of people.

• Regular sensitivity to caffeine
The balance between caffeine inactivation in the liver and binding in the central nervous system means that the individual can typically drink 2-5 cups of coffee during the day without adverse reactions or sleep disturbances. Caffeine is normally not recommended in the evening, but individual differences prevail, as seen in most people.

• Low sensitivity to caffeine
Fast-metabolisers of caffeine. Higher intakes can be consumed, (although healthcare professionals should advise that they still stay within the EFSA guidelines of no more than five cups of coffee per day9). Coffee drinking before bedtime does not typically disturb sleep.

On one hand it's good if you enjoy the drinks for their taste, but on the other hand if you need the boost you've not really got that as an option.

Soldato
Then there are people like you and @Skillmister who smash coffee and don't get any of effects.
option.
Feels.

Perhaps I should try a long detox and see if I can bring in any sort of sensitivity.

Quite coincedentallly I haven't been having a coffee first thing in the morning for around a week. Not sure why. Haven't felt any noticeable effects (good or bad). Generally have been going to make a tea or coffee around 10am after morning conference calls just to take a break and then sometimes having another mid afternoon.

Anecdotally I do feel a bit of a "buzz" from energy drinks but I'm not convinced that's because of the caffeine content as by mg amounts I'm not sure it's much higher than coffee. Perhaps the other combination of chemicals involved? Rarely have them though, typically middle of an all day mountain bike session if I do.

Associate
So I've pretty much been addicted to coffee for at least 10 years if not longer. Not any old stuff, I always get nice, strong beans and grind them. I fill up a whole standard coffee pot (about 1 litre?) which gives me about 5 big cups, and drink the whole thing, black. Doesn't really give me a 'buzz' anymore but I suspect my body is now at one with the bean!

Now since lockdown this has got worse as im at home. But I also get a lot of anxiety and my mind races. I need to go cold turkey, i got loads of green tea and mint tea which im going to try to substitute with!

Soldato
Feels.

Perhaps I should try a long detox and see if I can bring in any sort of sensitivity.

Quite coincedentallly I haven't been having a coffee first thing in the morning for around a week. Not sure why. Haven't felt any noticeable effects (good or bad). Generally have been going to make a tea or coffee around 10am after morning conference calls just to take a break and then sometimes having another mid afternoon.

Anecdotally I do feel a bit of a "buzz" from energy drinks but I'm not convinced that's because of the caffeine content as by mg amounts I'm not sure it's much higher than coffee. Perhaps the other combination of chemicals involved? Rarely have them though, typically middle of an all day mountain bike session if I do.

Same as me, I love coffee but I get no buzz from it at all. Sometimes won't bother making one or not have any over a weekend and get no withdrawal issues at all. Maybe I don't drink enough or maybe it's because I mainly use the gaggia espresso machine

Man of Honour
I've gone three months without any caffiene. I used to drink 4-5 cups a day everyday. I do not feel I have any more energy though which is odd, still get tired in the day but I will say my sleep has improved a great deal which is the main thing for me. I'm at the point where I don't miss it, only very occasionally I fancy a coffee or tea and a biscuit but that's to be expected.

Man of Honour
It's easier for that 1 morning cup to go to occasionally 2 and then before you know it you're 5 cups a day to stay feeling "normal"

I only have 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning. I still get a buzz from it - but I can understand if you drink a lot of coffee how you can be fried from it. I just love the taste. I'd be happy for coffee to have no caffeine in it (I know decaf exists, but it's not quite the same) if it tasted the same. Besides the flavonoids in coffee aren't a bad thing.

That said if you're drinking a lot of coffee (or any other particular food over any others) then it is worth doing a bit of a change.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I only have 1 cup of coffee a day in the morning. I still get a buzz from it - but I can understand if you drink a lot of coffee how you can be fried from it. I just love the taste. I'd be happy for coffee to have no caffeine in it (I know decaf exists, but it's not quite the same) if it tasted the same. Besides the flavonoids in coffee aren't a bad thing.

That said if you're drinking a lot of coffee (or any other particular food over any others) then it is worth doing a bit of a change.

I do like coffee, but actually now I've been off it for a while I'm really enjoying the mornings again. Last 2 days I've felt great when waking up. Yesterday was a weird day, I felt dialled in, super focused all day.

So now instead of reaching for a coffee in the morning I've been mediating. Much better than a strong dose of the stress hormone from caffeine in the morning to get me going.

Man of Honour
Yeah I headspace in the mornings too before anything (around 6am when it's nice and quiet). Then I go for a walk. Then coffee time. It's a nice treat and the health benefits are worthwhile. But I agree if you're drinking more than 1 strong coffee a day then it's worth doing the cut back.

It's like drinking (alcohol) I never drink, maybe 1 or 2 alcoholic drinks a year, and don't miss it, I can do the same with coffee or anything really.

However I enjoy coffee and don't feel I drink too much - but it's always worth doing a flush for a couple of weeks from time to time :)

Soldato
Going to bump this as after my longest ever period of consistent caffeine regime (stop around 6pm every day), I've got to make a change.

I'm starting medication soon and the doc has requested minimal alcohol and caffeine - ideally none. Alcohol is easy, since lockdown I drink alcohol maybe once a month or less.

But I'm consistently on 3-5 or even 6 drinks a day (mostly tea not coffee, but it's still a lot of caffeine when I've had 6!). I also make sure to have my first cup ready as soon after waking as possible. For instance I don't eat breakfast until 11am but that comes with my second drink at least.

So I've suggested to the doctor I'll do my best but the requested "1 a day maximum" might not be achievable.

I certainly won't be going cold turkey. Wish me luck :D

Associate
Best of luck. I've never managed to kick my coffee addiction but I'm down to 1 cup a day. Yorkshire Tea Decaf is the best decaf tea I've tried. We've been drinking it at home for a couple of years now and don't miss the normal stuff at all.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Going to bump this as after my longest ever period of consistent caffeine regime (stop around 6pm every day), I've got to make a change.

I'm starting medication soon and the doc has requested minimal alcohol and caffeine - ideally none. Alcohol is easy, since lockdown I drink alcohol maybe once a month or less.

But I'm consistently on 3-5 or even 6 drinks a day (mostly tea not coffee, but it's still a lot of caffeine when I've had 6!). I also make sure to have my first cup ready as soon after waking as possible. For instance I don't eat breakfast until 11am but that comes with my second drink at least.

So I've suggested to the doctor I'll do my best but the requested "1 a day maximum" might not be achievable.

I certainly won't be going cold turkey. Wish me luck :D

Good luck :)

Tapering down is certainly easier. My approach was to hold out for as long as possible each day before I had my first fix. After a while I was able to get to the afternoon and then 1 small cup of green tea was enough to keep the headaches away. Then I dropped the green tea.

I am drinking caffeine but I am acutely aware of my dosages each day. I also have strict rules; 1. don't drink any caffeine past 1pm 2. don't start the day with caffeine, have breakfast and wait for an hour or so to allow natural cortisol to do it's thing.

Soldato
Yorkshire Tea Decaf is the best decaf tea I've tried.
Snap, these are palatable. Still don't know if I'd like them all day though. I guess you adapt - I got used to soy milk when I went vegan!
Tapering down is certainly easier. My approach was to hold out for as long as possible each day before I had my first fix.
This is what I'm hoping to achieve, hold out for a while. I may have to bring breakfast forward.

Cheers both :)

Soldato
@LuckyBenski Good luck.

I'd probably be ok with 1 coffee in the morning only, but I tend to have another after lunch.

Have you considered decafe?

I know it can still contain about 5% of the caffeine in full fat coffee, but it somehow does convince me that I've had a coffee :)

Soldato
I quit it sometimes because it seems to bring on more headaches, most places i work have people in offices drinking about 12 cups a day. The businesses must make a fortune, like liquid Gold

Back
Top Bottom