• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Soldato
Surely the 6600XT is based on today's scalped pricing where memory is expensive, board components are in short supply and expensive etc. It's all more expensive to produce.

Nvidia AIB pricing is proof.

Nvidia done a HUGE mistake with their pricing but it was announced on 01/09/2020 before anyone could have known the extent of the disastrous shortage. There is absolutely no way Nvidia are making their usual 60% profit on FE cards.

The 6600XT prices is obviously based on today's realistic prices. Is it really more expensive than an Nvidia AIB card???

You cannot compare AMD pricing with Nvidia FE and say AMD is overpriced. Everything is overpriced.

When the shortage is over, they'll be cheap again and we'll be back to RX 580 equivalents for £180.
These jokes saying 1080p gaming will soon be £500 are getting so old.

Associate
If these are both as crap & as readily available as is being made out, they'll find their price soon enough & perhaps improve the overall GPU situation. Sad release though, the 6700xt is a decent card, the 6800 & 6800xt genuinely good, this is reheated leftovers.

Soldato
Similar performance and price to 5700xt, but with ray tracing. Said ray tracing drops below 30 fps in Cyberpunk 2077, https://youtu.be/_tDYu5sBtFs?t=962

Not really

may 1080p sure, now go look at higher resolutions - at higher it's turned into a rtx2060 super, that makes the 6600xt slightly slower than a PS5

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6600-xt-strix-oc/28.html

It's actually quite a remarkable piece of engineering, from disabling half the pcie lanes to picking the precise amount of infinity cache to keep 1080p performance with just enough to feed the cores.

AMD designed it exactly to be used for 1080p and nothing else and that is quite the achievement. The only problem is that at nearly $400, it looks more like profit boosting measures than trying to deliver value to the consumer

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Not really

may 1080p sure, now go look at higher resolutions - at higher it's turned into a rtx2060 super

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6600-xt-strix-oc/28.html

It's actually quite a remarkable piece of engineering, from disabling half the pcie lanes to picking the precise amount of infinity cache to keep 1080p performance with just enough to feed the cores.

AMD designed it exactly to be used for 1080p and nothing else and that is quite the achievement. The only problem is that at nearly $400, it looks more like profit boosting measures than trying to deliver value to the consumer

Considering how well 2060 and 2060 super still sells at crazy prices they are today and these bew AMD cards are cheaper and faster, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again in the current climate where 3060’s sell out at £500 these cards are an absolute bargain at sub £400.

Hopefully it will result in more NVIDIA partners giving us more aggressive deals on on 3060 and 3060Ti to compete.

Associate
236m² so it costs them between $50 to $80 depending on wafer prices for fully working did at about an 89% yield (there should be plenty of redundancy in a GPU so yield will be better and a lot of the bad dies can be used in cut down version).

Or they could produce more 197mm² Xbox Series S dies which cost and between $40 and $60 to make.

Even if the sold they stopped the 6600 XT at $250, I suspect it would still have far better margins than the consoles.

Soldato
gamers are thick imo, they are paying these prices now, so what you think amd and nvidia going to next gen, up prices again, because theu know gamers wil pay it, its not miners any more, its gamers. cant wait for next gen and the moaning begins, and it was their bloody fault, gamersjust cant stop themselvesm, its the FOMO effect:cry::cry::cry:

Soldato
Hash rate is 32 mhash ETH at 55w. The king is back
Wow! :eek:

shame 1080p is so 2010:cry: think we moved on since then
A lot's changed since, even if resolution hasn't. ;)

ieAchV8.jpg.png

I posted some results from ComputerBase over in CAT's review thread:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/35023567
Average PCIe 3.0 Vs 4.0 difference on their game suite was 2% but the biggest difference was 11% to 13%.
Of course, that's for PCIe 3.0 Vs 4.0 . The card is x8 either way so we can't know what a theoretical x16 would perform like.

Would be bound to use more power though.
This is honestly the disappointing thing about it for me, I don't understand what they're really saving by making it x8 only. They did the same with the 5500XT.

Sound logic but the problem is the masses don't spend £400+ on a GPU.
They sure will, though the masses buy prebuilts anyway, just as they did with phones. People will pay if they must because fundamentally these things are still so value-laden, it's just that PCs have been so exceedingly cheap these last 3-4 years it skewed people's perception greatly. In reality PC gaming is still cheap compared to other hobbies (which are all also going up in price).

i game at 1080 for 120hz as tv doesnt do 1440p at 120hz, but i paid 220 for my xbox series s, why should i pay nearly double for same experience, and before u say ray tracing, its still a gmmick in my eyes:p

Your Series S is not going to hold even 1080p, let's be real here. You can write Hz but it's the FPS that matter, nevermind the dynamic resolution aspect because it might advertise 1080p/1440p to you but in reality it dips lower, esp. for 60+ fps. I take a quick look at the Cp2077 numbers and it's clear that the 6600XT more than doubles performance compared to Series S (>60 fps, higher settings vs 1080p(ish) 30 fps of XSS). Never mind that the GPU can mine back its cost, you can do extra things on PC (even game related - shaders, mods etc).

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
gamers are thick imo, they are paying these prices now, so what you think amd and nvidia going to next gen, up prices again, because theu know gamers wil pay it, its not miners any more, its gamers. cant wait for next gen and the moaning begins, and it was their bloody fault, gamersjust cant stop themselvesm, its the FOMO effect:cry::cry::cry:

Said it before but too many feathers get ruffled. This 'gamer' nonsense branding has gone too far. Surprised they dont sell gamers socks. RGB was bad enough.

Horse has bolted on price years back, PCMR has a lot to answer for.

Soldato
Said it before but too many feathers get ruffled. This 'gamer' nonsense branding has gone too far. Surprised they dont sell gamers socks. RGB was bad enough.

stick gamer on a product they fall over themselves to buy even at x10 msrp:cry::cry::cry:

Soldato

Twitch Streamers sell them bathwater,is that close enough?? :cry:

They are,and like a Stockholm Syndrome like attachment to a cult,they are trying to rationalise prices as being OK,etc.People on this forum moan if taxes go up,prices of essentials go up,etc but when tech prices go up,its all understandable,etc.

Great priorities! :p

I think if you replace tech with drugs,it would be no different for a number. They are stuck in a moment and can't get out of it.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

Perhaps,they think DLSS is supernatural as it is "better than native!"

:D

People don't remember what cheap was - it wasn't certainly the last 5 years!! Apparently that would make Turing cheap!!

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

stick gamer on a product they fall over themselves to buy even at x10 msrp:cry::cry::cry:

Stick AMD on it,and they will defend the pricing and buy it. If it is Nvidia people will hate them....and still buy it.

:p

Last edited:
Soldato
As others have said, they've physically limited it to a max of 8x while using a 16x slot. Generally it's not a massive loss, you'll probably lose around 5% performance while running it on PCI-E 3. But most systems will be PCI-E gen 3. And then you have games like Doom Eternal where it gets beaten by the 5600XT

Link for start of the PCIe testing.

The doom figures pcie 4.0 8x and 3.0 8x.:cry::cry:

s5hr3xd.png

Now coming to this test, yes I know not a 4k card, but shows how the card behaves even compared to the older gen, it is half the speed of the last gen same card.

m9APcuz.png

Soldato
The doom figures pcie 4.0 8x and 3.0 8x.:cry::cry:

s5hr3xd.png

Half the lanes are physically disabled on the GPU, so the card can't run in pcie 3 x16, only x8, so if you don't have a pcie 4 x8 motherboard, goodbye 25% performance, now the 6600xt is only as fast as the 5600xt

Back
Top Bottom