• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

Soldato
Half the lanes are physically disabled on the GPU, so the card can't run in pcie 3 x16, only x8, so if you don't have a pcie 4 x8 motherboard, goodbye 25% performance, now the 6600xt is only as fast as the 5600xt

I know half the slot is missing the connections so really and 8x card, so if put on lower than pcie 4.0 motherboards with cpus that don't support pcie 4.0 it will nosedive, be funny to see how it behaves on 2.0 8x and 1.0 8x as some people are still rocking 2.0 PCIE systems and this sort of card is aimed at these people and budget gamers.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD that tight they need run x8 on a $380 card.....

£500 if you go ASUS card :cry: and of course a fake msrp there too for the ASUS and the fake msrp from AMD (shhh but there is no reference card from them, so pricing a product they don't even make :cry::cry::cry::rolleyes: so automatically falls into fake MSRP)... Reality will be £700-750 for the ASUS card and of course AMD has no reference card ... so AIB pricing will be never the fake AMD MSRP of $380..

Associate
Not really

may 1080p sure, now go look at higher resolutions - at higher it's turned into a rtx2060 super, that makes the 6600xt slightly slower than a PS5

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-radeon-rx-6600-xt-strix-oc/28.html

It's actually quite a remarkable piece of engineering, from disabling half the pcie lanes to picking the precise amount of infinity cache to keep 1080p performance with just enough to feed the cores.

AMD designed it exactly to be used for 1080p and nothing else and that is quite the achievement. The only problem is that at nearly $400, it looks more like profit boosting measures than trying to deliver value to the consumer

Hardware Unboxed have the 6600xt & 5700xt within a frame of each other at 1440p, (which most people would call margin of error results) https://youtu.be/_tDYu5sBtFs?t=869

Associate
The doom figures pcie 4.0 8x and 3.0 8x.:cry::cry:

s5hr3xd.png

Now coming to this test, yes I know not a 4k card, but shows how the card behaves even compared to the older gen, it is half the speed of the last gen same card.

m9APcuz.png

Control is a perfect example of 128bit memory bandwidth issues which AMD tried to get over with using the infinity cache which is just to small for the job of anything over 1080p. This is a great card for the 1080p market if it was not for the pricing.

Soldato
mememe-7a1876c9157fe15a5b02dcc0cd1e6ac9-1.jpg

Soldato
AMD that tight they need run x8 on a $380 card.....

Yeah, this kills it for me, and the prospect of a RX 6500 XT (which I had some hope for). It almost looks like deliberate market segmentation.

Intel has a shot at 1080p / 1440p gaming I think, hopefully this year too.

Soldato
Yeah, this kills it for me, and the prospect of a RX 6500 XT. It almost looks like deliberate market segmentation.

Intel has a shot at 1080p / 1440p gaming I think, hopefully this year too.

Given how long away RDNA3 and Lovelace is, Intel has a good opportunity to slot into that 1080p gap if they can give the market a card at under $300.

There will still be quite a lot of gamers staying on the fence and holding onto their rx570/580 and gtx1060 until someone gives them a sub $300 upgrade - and obviously AMD and Nvidia have no intention to fill that space, so it's a golden opportunity for Intel to pickup quick market share

Soldato
Return to sub £300 for high performance 1080p cards would be a sign that things are returning to normality (I think my R9 390 was around £250-£280), which seemed a lot to me at the time, relative to the amount spent on other parts).

I'm starting to think that if there's no reference model /'founders' version of a graphics card, people should steer clear, its buying well above RRP for non reference models that got the market into this mess. Try to send a clear, collective message, that reference models are what is expected, nothing less. I mean, this just doesn't happen with CPUs (maybe pay an extra £50-£100, vs bought direct from AMD).

Is the Xe DG2 getting FSR support too? Or, was that just rumour? It's open source, so I can't see why not? I wonder if Intel will sell all 'Xe' graphics cards themselves, or sell most via third party AIBs?

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD could have set the msrp at $300 and put the heat on Nvidia and it wouldn't have mattered as cards don't sell at the msrp anymore and AIBs / retailers would have taken the blame but the fact they chose a $380 msrp just shows how gready and arrogant they have become.

I guess we should have known when AMD priced the budget 6 core CPU at $300 something even Intel didn't dare to do despite the 10600k beating zen 2 in gaming.

Soldato
AMD could have set the msrp at $300 and put the heat on Nvidia and it wouldn't have mattered as cards don't sell at the msrp anymore and AIBs / retailers would have taken the blame but the fact they chose a $380 msrp just shows how gready and arrogant they have become.

I guess we should have known when AMD priced the budget 6 core CPU at $300 something even Intel didn't dare to do despite the 10600k beating zen 2 in gaming.

So AMD should have put a faster product (than the direct competition, the 3060) for cheaper than the competition - in a world where demand massively outstrips supply.... ok then!

Also , please do check Intel cpu pricing for the 9 series, they had to near 1/2 price the HDT high end to even compete with the 10 series. Intel could have gone more than 4 cores for a decade but chose to rinse DIY users.

Associate
Its all so mucky. In an ideal world this should be a sub £300 card, but right now you can't even buy a 1660 for under £300. So if this price is realistic, then right now its not terrible. But as of yet I have no idea what the actual price is going to be.
The problem is we don't have all the details. If AMD set this price based on what they realistically think they can be profitably made then I have no problem with it. I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Soldato
So AMD should have put a faster product (than the direct competition, the 3060) for cheaper than the competition - in a world where demand massively outstrips supply.... ok then!

Also , please do check Intel cpu pricing for the 9 series, they had to near 1/2 price the HDT high end to even compete with the 10 series. Intel could have gone more than 4 cores for a decade but chose to rinse DIY users.
After the reviews of the 3060 which everyone thought was a poor card at msrp AMD had a chance to make Nvidia look bad instead of themselves but instead managed to score a huge marketing own goal.

I don't ever remember Intels lowest end K SKU of a line up costing $300.

Soldato
Nvidia + AMD should start shipping cards with 7.5GB of VRAM, to gimp /stop the miners ;)

Maybe just add 8GB VRAM, but deliberately disable / break a small part of the VRAM.

Associate
Nvidia + AMD should start shipping cards with 7.5GB of VRAM, to gimp /stop the miners ;)

Maybe just add 8GB VRAM, but deliberately disable / break a small part of the VRAM.

You would need 5.5, but please don't give them ideas.
The 12GB of the 3060 are an extremely tempting option to me, especially as it would be a decent upgrade from my RX590.
The only thing stopping me is the fact that it will be most likely bottlenecked by my now ancient i7-3770k...

Back
Top Bottom