Using a laptop powered in car?

Soldato
Having an 240v inverter is infinitely more useful than having a dedicated laptop charger for example charging tool batteries etc. Hence why i use the inverter i already own to charge my laptop.

efficiency Was never even a consideration.

Caporegime
Due to go on a long trip to Europe and just wondering if anyone has ever bought any gadgets to power a laptop in car. I saw one on amazon but the reviews aren't very good as one of the reviews mention, it blew the cars electrics. Has anyone found and better still used one?

I'm guessing your laptop isn't usb-c?

If so I just use a cigarette lighter PD converter.
Is not ideal but it's fine

Just leave it charging while driving and any decent trips its full.

Associate
OP
Hi guys, I now have information overload, apologies. My own laptop is not usb c powered unfortunately. On the charger it says 180w input 100-240v. So still not sure what one to get. My car does have a ciggerate lighter and also a separate USB chargering port as well, so unsure what to buy. Many thanks.

Soldato
Hi guys, I now have information overload, apologies. My own laptop is not usb c powered unfortunately. On the charger it says 180w input 100-240v. So still not sure what one to get. My car does have a ciggerate lighter and also a separate USB chargering port as well, so unsure what to buy. Many thanks.
What's the laptop and model number?

Associate
I use a generic 300W inverter bought off Amazon. Use it to charge my DeWalt batteries and Laptop. Also occasionally need to charge a 24v battery.

Just pick the most reviewed/popular item on Amazon. If it doesn't work send it back. It's an inverter you need. Most are fused so nothing bad is going to happen. Just get one bought.

Soldato
In the past, I used a homemade DC-DC boost converter. It makes no sense to me to use a inverter, the cheap ones produce a horrible sinewave, there inefficient, prone to surges, bad regulation, and use far more components. You can get them for under £10 now but you will have to solder your own wires on, or you can almost certainly buy one designed for use in cars.

Soldato
My laptop charges off USB-C so this isn't a problem for me. Hope that helps.
These are the worst Amazon reviews. Especially when I'm searching questions to see if someone's already asked the same thing I want to know and I see there's an answer, yay!

But wait..
Q "Can anyone tell me how long this part of the product is please?"
A "I didn't end up buying this so can't tell you"
ME (in my head) "WHY DID YOU BOTHER TO WRITE AN ANSWER THEN?!"

I suspect it's all profile building if you engage in the community, like post counts here to access things. But it still grinds my gears.

Soldato
These are the worst Amazon reviews. Especially when I'm searching questions to see if someone's already asked the same thing I want to know and I see there's an answer, yay!

But wait..

I suspect it's all profile building if you engage in the community, like post counts here to access things. But it still grinds my gears.
:cry: Go easy man, I kid you not I had an email from Amazon saying can I review this product/answer a question and I almost went into auto pilot and said "I don't know, sorry" :o

Soldato

It's amazon. They make it sound like someone has personally asked you a question - similar to sending a private message or something. The people answering often don't even realise it's going on the public Q+A page. It works because they get a much higher response rate to product questions but sometimes the answers are useless, as in your example.

Back
Top Bottom