• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
Why are people so readily changing thermal pads on the 3080? Does it not void the warranty? I've never done it before but I'd be nervous tinkering with something that valuable.

Seems as though cards vary in quality along with other ambient variables (room and case temperatures, airflow etc).

I have no real reason to change the pads on my 3080 FE at all, but it runs cooler than a friend's card. But whilst his VRAM has hit 105c in the heatwave, he's not tempted to do any work. Mine boosts better too.

Undervolting helps too, of course.

Soldato
Thank you @Yaayuh! @Joxeon and @RavenXXX2 for the responses, much appreciated!

I doubt I'll be doing any mining, my GPU is for my CAD work so I'll try to treat it nicely.

I'll finally get to install it tomorrow - then I will find out if I got a good one or a coil-whining space heater!

Associate
Can anyone explain to me the easiest way to undervolt the gpu? I was using MSI Afterburner to do this and swapped to EVGA precision and not quite sure if what I was doing was correct or not.

Tried to follow videos on youtube on how to do it but still didnt make a massive amount of sense to me.

Soldato
Decided going to try returning the 3080 for replacement because of the coil whine cant imagine replacement to be just as bad if it is I'll just live with it at least I tried never had card with this much coil whine before, really tried to see if I could live with it for the past week just feel I lost the card lottery and shouldnt have to settle for this when I plan to keep the card for good number of years . I tried under volting did improve it slightly but not enough

Just worried they will say its normal and nothing wrong with it , I really dont want to end up getting refund as getting these isnt the easiest of tasks

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Can anyone explain to me the easiest way to undervolt the gpu? I was using MSI Afterburner to do this and swapped to EVGA precision and not quite sure if what I was doing was correct or not.

Tried to follow videos on youtube on how to do it but still didnt make a massive amount of sense to me.

I followed this mostly. Dunno if it's the preferred method for undervolting tho

https://wccftech.com/undervolting-ampere-geforce-rtx-3080-hidden-efficiency-potential/

Soldato
Seems a company has started selling Founders 3090's on the rain forest for £1,880.
Checked the details, they only go back to late July and their business address is a Mailbox service in London.

So I guess the bots have gone mainstream LOL

Who would have thunk

Associate
Why are people so readily changing thermal pads on the 3080? Does it not void the warranty? I've never done it before but I'd be nervous tinkering with something that valuable.
I changed mine at because I am don’t feel comfortable seeing 100C+ On the memory temps. whilst gaming.

I have also undervolted as well, as I can get stock performance (or better).

Warranty wise… it’s on me now, so I accept my actions.

Soldato
105oC on the junction causes throttling, so as the card gets dustier or ambient get higher due to the heating being on when it gets colder hitting that temps going to be easier.
I'm thinking a re-pad and undervolt when I get home and see how much more I can get out of it, literally had a quick tweak before I came away and left it mining, its crashed once so far so I reduced the curve a bit, plan is to tweak it properly at some point early September.

Associate
105oC on the junction causes throttling, so as the card gets dustier or ambient get higher due to the heating being on when it gets colder hitting that temps going to be easier.
I'm thinking a re-pad and undervolt when I get home and see how much more I can get out of it, literally had a quick tweak before I came away and left it mining, its crashed once so far so I reduced the curve a bit, plan is to tweak it properly at some point early September.

It's 110C that causes throttling, at least on the 3080FE I tested and from what I seen from others.

Soldato
Trying to get rid of stock before the drops furnish all of us with cards..

Founders editions are only available through Nvidia via one seller for fulfilment. So the ones being sold in my post are not "legit" sales.

They can only have been gotten from Bot means or a shady backhand deal... :p
And let's face it a company with less than a month on Amazon, listed at a dodgy mailbox address in Lavender Hill, does not fill you with confidence.

Soldato
It's 110C that causes throttling, at least on the 3080FE I tested and from what I seen from others.

Ahh, I thought it was 105oC, 110oC still sounds toasty though to me, and IF I can knock 20oC off of that by changing the pads then I'll be doing that when I get back from Greenland.

Associate
Ahh, I thought it was 105oC, 110oC still sounds toasty though to me, and IF I can knock 20oC off of that by changing the pads then I'll be doing that when I get back from Greenland.

Oh for sure. I just took the undervolt route with mine.

Back
Top Bottom