******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
In the Mole, I usually go to the Aaron Halo. Look up a vid if you're unsure how to find it.
The Yela asteroid belt is worth checking out if you want an easier to find place. Planet side mining is also worth it on the moons of Microtech if you have someone else on board, as the weather can get a bit windy down there and you might need someone to keep her steady.
You'll also find fuel consumption is a concern in atmosphere. Use VTOL and keep it slow and steady.

I generally only really go for quantanium these days, but if you're happy with laranite/agrecium, then there's plenty to be found on various other moons. I don't bother with anything less.
Get to know your mining heads and consumables. I recommend the Lancet MH2 with Surge and Brandt.
Use ALT+1,2,3 to activate consumables (top to bottom in the onscreen list).

Last edited:
Associate
In the Mole, I usually go to the Aaron Halo. Look up a vid if you're unsure how to find it.
The Yela asteroid belt is worth checking out if you want an easier to find place. Planet side mining is also worth it on the moons of Microtech if you have someone else on board, as the weather can get a bit windy down there and you might need someone to keep her steady.
You'll also find fuel consumption is a concern in atmosphere. Use VTOL and keep it slow and steady.

I generally only really go for quantanium these days, but if you're happy with laranite/agrecium, then there's plenty to be found on various other moons. I don't bother with anything less.
Get to know your mining heads and consumables. I recommend the Lancet MH2 with Surge and Brandt.
Use ALT+1,2,3 to activate consumables (top to bottom in the onscreen list).
Awesome, thanks for the info and advice on the recommended parts to use!
Think I'll try out the asteroid belt for the first attempt.

Soldato
Oh, I forgot that there's a little annoying bug right now with mining... You may find that when you go to use the laser, it can lose the scan results and/or the optimum/overcharge windows disappear and you'll have to refocus or rescan the rock. Some rocks may not even be scannable, so just move on if you can't get any details.
There's a few teething issues since they changed the whole scanning/ping system.

Soldato
This isn't a SC bashing post but does it genuinely feel any closer to being a proper game yet? Or are we still looking at the next decade before a possible release?

I try it every 2 or 3 years hoping for real progress as I bought into it 7 or 8 years ago, but end up just removing it within a few hours. I've not tried it now for a good 2 years as the longer it's taking the more I can't be bothered with it.

Soldato
Plenty has changed vs 2 years ago and it depends on what you define as a 'proper game'. Either way, it's gonna be a fair while before it's what you might call complete.
If you're curious, then don't rely on someone elses opinion. Download it again and try it for yourself. Maybe watch a tutorial vid to get up to speed and/or perhaps get online with someone here.

Associate
This isn't a SC bashing post but does it genuinely feel any closer to being a proper game yet? Or are we still looking at the next decade before a possible release?

I try it every 2 or 3 years hoping for real progress as I bought into it 7 or 8 years ago, but end up just removing it within a few hours. I've not tried it now for a good 2 years as the longer it's taking the more I can't be bothered with it.
I was the same as you, now I'm playing it pretty much everyday.

Soldato

I'm the same, I try it every year and have always left dissapointed and uninstalled. Honestly I bought in for SQ42 not the MMO but still I dip in for mess around.
Did so again a few weeks ago I can see some progress has been made but ultimately felt flat to me and is still a shell of whats to come.

I honestly dont think I'll try SC again though because spending 20 minutes to get out of the atmosphere of a planet, essentially doing nothing might seem like realism but it sure aint fun to me and it looks at least on the surface that its going to be an absolute time sink of a game.
Where the smallest and most incosequential of things needs a significant time investment and I only have 5-6 hours a week to game generally its just not a good use of the available game time I have and generally why I play single player games.

Soldato
I'm the same, I try it every year and have always left dissapointed and uninstalled. Honestly I bought in for SQ42 not the MMO but still I dip in for mess around.
Did so again a few weeks ago I can see some progress has been made but ultimately felt flat to me and is still a shell of whats to come.

I honestly dont think I'll try SC again though because spending 20 minutes to get out of the atmosphere of a planet, essentially doing nothing might seem like realism but it sure aint fun to me and it looks at least on the surface that its going to be an absolute time sink of a game.
Where the smallest and most incosequential of things needs a significant time investment and I only have 5-6 hours a week to game generally its just not a good use of the available game time I have and generally why I play single player games.
Sq42 looks to be nearly done

Soldato
Hope so, I'm actually quite looking forward to it and have actively avoided the development stuff so as not know or pre-judge what to expect.
So I'll just play through that upon release and not touch SC again.
Yea the most strongest indicator that its nearly feature complete is that they are now working on the saving/loading feature and you tend to work on that as one of the last features of a game .

for someone only on for 5-6h a week, a single player pick up and play is definetly better.

I think maybe even SQ42 may be too much for a casual unless you are not bothered about the storyline/progression?

I tend to lobby game types like this:

hard core players -> mmo's, eSports games
semi hard core players -> mmos too but also single player story driven games and RPG's
casual players -> fifa, COD, BF type games you jump on for 15mins each round?

Soldato

Are you talking about leaving Orison and was that in a PTU build? If so, that was a temporary glitch.
It still has a higher atmosphere than other planets (150km vs 12km) and does take a few minutes to reach space, being a gas giant, but its not a 20 minute job.
You are right in that most things take a while to get done and that it's definitely not suitable for someone with very limited gaming time.

Out of interest, how long did you play before you drew your conclusion and was it just the one session? Did you do much other than have a look around?
I'm not setting you up here, or saying that you're wrong about it being a relative shell compared to what's in the pipeline. If the stuff they have planned comes to pass, then you're absolutely right.
I'm just curious about how much you actually delved into what IS available to do in your limited time before forming an opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
20 minutes to get out of the atmosphere of a planet
That's a fair exaggeration, it doesn't take anywhere near that amount of time to leave atmosphere, maybe 3-4 minutes tops in a Freelancer.
It took me just a little over 35 minutes to complete a 3 part delivery run on Tuesday, so I know for certain it doesn't take that long to exit the atmosphere as I landed and took off 3 times on a planet to pick up the boxes (and I'm someone who had no idea what they were actually doing, so I presume someone who knows how to play properly would do it in a fair bit less).

I think the thing that took the longest for me was flying from Lorville to New Babbage when I finished my session, that took maybe 8 minutes in the Freelancer... maybe slightly more. I ended up walking off to brew a coffee whilst that was happening.

Soldato
New roadmap update has basically made 3.15 look like some god patch lol!

So many actual gameplay features!!

Progress Tracker – Newly Added Deliverables:
  • Targeting v2 Plasma Ammunition
  • Incendiary Ammunition
  • Disarray Ammunition
  • Space Mines
  • Save/Load
  • Aerodynamic Control Surfaces
  • Crusader Genesis Star Liner
  • RSI Orion
  • RSI Lynx (back from the shelves)

Release View
The following cards have been added to Release View:

• New Babbage Hospital
  • Orison Hospital
  • Rest Stops: Space Station Clinics
  • GrimHex Clinic
  • Loot Generation T0
  • Asset Manager mobiGlas app
  • Physical/Local Inventory Support
  • Infiltrate and Defend Missions
  • Updates – Broken Moon Map
  • hops and Patrons
  • Doctor, Nurse AI Behaviors
  • Orison V2 (just to fit for IAE)
Its shaping up to be the best patch i have ever ever seen to be honest. I would suggest newcomers to wait fior 3.15.1 patch as a lot can go wrong here lol.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...spatch/18272-Roadmap-Roundup-August-11th-2021

Back
Top Bottom