• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 6600XT 1080p gaming for $379 on Aug 11

OcUK Staff
The reference model RX6600XT would be the one to get,as its quite compact and its not overvolted. Hence it has very decent performance/watt. I suspect you will see them in OEM systems.

I have been trying to source reference, not one single AIB is making them or offering them, the only small card I can get is the Asrock ITX card which is due next month and carries a price premium.

Soldato
Exactly, they are provided by AMD (prob on a limited run).

Again thats not how this works. AMD and Nvidia design the card *reference model*, with a certain number of layers in the pcb, certain layout for components, a reference cooler design and frequency limits. But they dont make them to be shipped out to the AIB`s. The companies themselves build the parts to the reference spec (and pricing). This is where non reference designs then come in, with a far greater leverage on parts to be used, frequencies, cooling and price.

Nv or AMD will supply the gpu and ram as a package (see Ian Cutress about this) , but the rest comes from the AIB themselves

OcUK Staff
Exactly, they are provided by AMD (prob on a limited run).

No they got none, AMD are only suppling the chips to AIB, maybe memory kits, but to our knowledge there are no reference product provided to any AIB. Only AMD have them and I am not even sure if AMD plan on making any RX 6600 XT reference and if they do they won't be available retail in the UK, end of.

I am pushing board partners hard to get closer to the £329 price MSRP for their most basic cards, the response I am getting is along the lines of next month the prices are going up, not down. So at the moment I am fighting this very hard as it absolutely needs to end, prices should be coming down, not moving up.

Soldato
I have been trying to source reference, not one single AIB is making them or offering them, the only small card I can get is the Asrock ITX card which is due next month and carries a price premium.

IIRC,Sapphire used to be the ones which built the reference spec cards. Considering how low power the GPU,is I am surprised more models are not smaller versions. The cards at the reference clockspeeds are quite efficient.

I am pushing board partners hard to get closer to the £329 price MSRP for their most basic cards, the response I am getting is along the lines of next month the prices are going up, not down. So at the moment I am fighting this very hard as it absolutely needs to end, prices should be coming down, not moving up.

No wonder when they are whacking on giant coolers and complex PCBs,and overvolting the cards for what is an efficient and tiny chip!

I think the only way anything would happen is if AMD works with them to make a simpler,more cost effective model to meet the RRP.

OcUK Staff
IIRC,Sapphire used to be the ones which built the reference spec cards. Considering how low power the GPU,is I am surprised more models are not smaller versions. The cards at the reference clockspeeds are quite efficient.

No wonder when they are whacking on giant coolers and complex PCBs,and overvolting the cards for what is an efficient and tiny chip!

I think the only way anything would happen is if AMD works with them to make a simpler,more cost effective model to meet the RRP.

They do not need AMD to work with them, the simple fact is the AIB's know that to build a card very basic in the current market and hit MSRP or below, though might be possible they also know the margin to do so would be slim and as a business they will always do what is best to guarantee the future of their business. Build OC models which only cost a few extra dollars to build but they can wack on a considerable premium to make a healthier margin and still sell the same quantity of cards. Whilst the current market is what it is they will focus on margin, once supply vastly outweighs supply is when they will look at making simpler products with lower product margins or consider reducing margins on OC products or even having loss leaders, but when they can sell everything they build several times over, all I can do is annoy them and push them but end of the day I also respect their business decisions as I know in normal times selling GPU's is typically a cut throat business with small margins with some risk.

Soldato
They do not need AMD to work with them, the simple fact is the AIB's know that to build a card very basic in the current market and hit MSRP or below, though might be possible they also know the margin to do so would be slim and as a business they will always do what is best to guarantee the future of their business. Build OC models which only cost a few extra dollars to build but they can wack on a considerable premium to make a healthier margin and still sell the same quantity of cards. Whilst the current market is what it is they will focus on margin, once supply vastly outweighs supply is when they will look at making simpler products with lower product margins or consider reducing margins on OC products or even having loss leaders, but when they can sell everything they build several times over, all I can do is annoy them and push them but end of the day I also respect their business decisions as I know in normal times selling GPU's is typically a cut throat business with small margins with some risk.

I think what I was implying more like what Nvidia does with its FE,but I suspect with AMD having not enough of its own 7NM supply it probably feels it has no real need to! :(

Associate
Again thats not how this works. AMD and Nvidia design the card *reference model*, with a certain number of layers in the pcb, certain layout for components, a reference cooler design and frequency limits. But they dont make them to be shipped out to the AIB`s. The companies themselves build the parts to the reference spec (and pricing). This is where non reference designs then come in, with a far greater leverage on parts to be used, frequencies, cooling and price.

Nv or AMD will supply the gpu and ram as a package (see Ian Cutress about this) , but the rest comes from the AIB themselves

So what are (were?) the MBA cards then? I understood "MBA" stood for "Made By AMD", but the AIBs got to stick their name on them and distribute them.

Or is that what @Gibbo meant by "they got none" - AMD aren't doing any 6600XT cards for MBA branding?

OcUK Staff
I have opened the Sapphire 6600 XT Nitro SKU up so people around the world can order from us including Ireland. Hopefully this will help some of our European and USA customers get one. :)

Associate
Thanks for your reply. Yeah my card is a RX 560 I bought it 2nd hand of the bay to tide me over during these crazy times but the card is unstable when doing simple desktop tings like web browsing it was 100% rock solid in games but now I've noticed it's started to artifact in games like Total War Atilla so I'm now looking for a replacement.

I was looking at the Nitro+ as well but over then slightly higher boost clocks and RGB on the cooler I couldn't see much difference but without a proper review it's hard to say if the extra £25 is worth it or not (the marketing materials suggest it may be slightly quieter then the Pulse).

Secondhand you say?
Wonder if someone messed with the board BIOS maybe for mining, or even to get better idle on the desktop?
You could monitor the clocks and memory frequencies to see if anything is out of the ordinary.

Soldato
So what are (were?) the MBA cards then? I understood "MBA" stood for "Made By AMD", but the AIBs got to stick their name on them and distribute them.

Or is that what @Gibbo meant by "they got none" - AMD aren't doing any 6600XT cards for MBA branding?

Wizzard said:
When talking to people in or related to the graphics card industry, "AIB", refers to AMD/ATI's board partners (the companies, not the physical product). NVIDIA board partners are called "AIC".

So you will talk about "the AIBs are coming out with their own cards on day x", which specifically refers to their custom designs. I've also seen (rarer) use from less-technical more marketing people: "bundled by our AIB partners" (adding the word partners).

Reference designs on AMD side are called "MBA" or "BBA" (Made/Built by AMD/ATI). Technically all MBA boards are produced at PCPartner.

On NVIDIA side, I think most commonly used is "partner cards", rarely "AIC boards/cards", but still "the AICs" to refer to the companies.

taken from reddit ^^

In short there are 3 `designs` - Reference, Semi-Custom (reference pcb and custom cooler) and full custom.

OcUK Staff
Awww guess i’ll have to be patient then.

Out of interest Gibbo have you had a lot of interest in the ITX model?

Pre-sold a small amount, so it does seem there will be some demand.

Best selling SKU is the Sapphire Pulse, over 500 sold now, next best selling is the Sapphire Nitro which was a little slow, no doubt because Pulse cheaper but is now gaining some traction sales wise.

Overall its a very solid launch from AMD with fantastic levels of stock and good sales volume. :)

Associate
Reference designs on AMD side are called "MBA" or "BBA" (Made/Built by AMD/ATI). Technically all MBA boards are produced at PCPartner.

taken from reddit ^^

In short there are 3 `designs` - Reference, Semi-Custom (reference pcb and custom cooler) and full custom.

I must have mis-understood your point, sorry. I had thought you were saying AMD reference designs didn't get made when I'd seen apparently identical MBA cards with AIB branding on e.g.:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39e-sp.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-457-as.html

and had understood them all to be reference boards - I took the "Made By AMD" literally and did not know about PCPartner.

Although it seems this is not happening for the 6600XT.

Soldato
Pre-sold a small amount, so it does seem there will be some demand.

Best selling SKU is the Sapphire Pulse, over 500 sold now, next best selling is the Sapphire Nitro which was a little slow, no doubt because Pulse cheaper but is now gaining some traction sales wise.

Overall its a very solid launch from AMD with fantastic levels of stock and good sales volume. :)
Wow Sapphire must have sent you a whole load of cards, I thought it was odd that you still had brand new cards at around MRSP more then 24 hours after launch.

Back
Top Bottom