*** Samsung Galaxy Z Fold Thread (it can fold and everything) ***

Soldato
Not for me, I think there's still too many areas Samsung can improve.

1. Outside screen size/ratio - The Mate X2 is much better in this regards
  2. Screen crease - doesn't bother me on the current Fold 2 but again the Mate X2 has improved this area
  3. Camera tech is 18 months old
  4. Battery size has stepped down?

Associate
Not for me, I think there's still too many areas Samsung can improve.

1. Outside screen size/ratio - The Mate X2 is much better in this regards
  2. Screen crease - doesn't bother me on the current Fold 2 but again the Mate X2 has improved this area
  3. Camera tech is 18 months old
  4. Battery size has stepped down?

Tbh it's not going to change too much now, it's all incremental for now on. They have a monopoly on it, they're 3rd gen into this tech, with Huawei being a no go for Joe Public since Google Play nuts n bolts removal and all the stuff in the news. People don't want a really expensive handset that doesn't support Google out of the box.

Until another Google certified (for Google API, store etc) come along they have no competitors in the foldable world. OnePlus maybe, they could totally do it.

Soldato
I was ready to push the order button during the livestream but was a little disappointed by the cameras after watching the Linus video straight after - they seem a little "old" in comparison to what's in the likes of the S21 Ultra but a) I understand space is somewhat of a premium and b) I'm not a massive user of the camera so I've decided I'll go and look at one once released in the EE or Samsung store and decide then rather than risk a pre-order and have the hassle of returning. The Mate X2 looks a nicer option both on screen size and cameras but as mentioned, without Google support it's a none starter for me.

Failing that will see what Apple bring to the table in September (although I'm not a huge lover of the ecosystem) or I'll bite the bullet and wait till Jan for the S22. The hype of the Xperia 1 III for me has been and gone and still we are waiting for it.....

Associate
Once the chassis hardware becomes mainstream and easily mass produced in China we'll see a lot more foldables.

For now Samsung have put the R&D in, I assume Oppo, Huawei & Xiaomi will already be looking at coping the hinge tech. If it really takes off we'll see very similar looking foldables within 5 years (just like now with smart phones) although I don't want this. I'd rather we have late 90's to 2000's pre-smart designs.

Soldato
Seen the Fold 3 in store today and disappointed. The under camera is still clearly visible, I had to do a double take to make sure I wasn't looking at the Fold 2 and was slightly distracting as you could see it flicker when screen is loading. Maybe it will be less visible when not under bright store lighting.

Last edited:
Associate
Until another Google certified (for Google API, store etc) come along they have no competitors in the foldable world. OnePlus maybe, they could totally do it.

Google are rumoured to be releasing a folding phone by the end of the year, apparently with a screen supplied by Samsung:

https://bgr.com/tech/google-pixel-fold-release-date-rumor-q4-2021/

I tried to order the Fold3 from Samsung using Samsung Pay as they give you 5% off for that but couldn't get it to work. I'll probably give it one more try then just use a card.

My only main disappointment is the battery size. It would also have been nice for it to have an S Pen slot without requiring a case.

Soldato
I tried to order the Fold3 from Samsung using Samsung Pay as they give you 5% off for that but couldn't get it to work. I'll probably give it one more try then just use a card.

Same, I managed to add AMEX and when I went to pay it said not support. There is a work around for some cards where it uses Curve but only works is your not already signed up to Curve. Can't believe how poor the Samsung Pay app is, uness if most cards aren't supported.

Associate
Same, I managed to add AMEX and when I went to pay it said not support. There is a work around for some cards where it uses Curve but only works is your not already signed up to Curve. Can't believe how poor the Samsung Pay app is, uness if most cards aren't supported.

I had the same thing. I added my Amex card then it told me Samsung UK does not support Amex, even though they do. I then managed to add a Barclaycard Visa which seemed to involve Curve, who I've not used before. Although it added the card, when I try to use it, it tells me it's declined. I've had nothing from Barclaycard though to say they've blocked anything.

Associate
I had the same thing. I added my Amex card then it told me Samsung UK does not support Amex, even though they do. I then managed to add a Barclaycard Visa which seemed to involve Curve, who I've not used before. Although it added the card, when I try to use it, it tells me it's declined. I've had nothing from Barclaycard though to say they've blocked anything.

My experience of Samsung Pay on mobile in general is awful. Hate using it in their app store when buying Watch faces. Seems to hate my Internet connection, with the circle loading icon going on forever, eventually timing out. It's only useful on my Watch3 for contactless.

Associate
I am definitely wanting one, I love the fold 2 but was always worried about using it in the rain, especially as i
always rains here in the UK!

the question is, is it worth the upgrade just for that. I'll be locked into another steep Vodafone contract. £64 is best price they will give me

Associate
I’m pretty set on having one of these new devices, I’m just a little torn on which.

I really like the form factor of the flip3, it might get be a nice gateway into a foldable that more compact when not in use. But the fold3, with the app improvements is really grabbing me. I’m just a little concerned about the carry size/weight. It looks incredible for productivity though.

Associate
Also. The fold is fragile as hell.. as nice as the case with pen is it probably won't protect anything. Which means Investing in a expensive case which has better protection

The dimensions of both phones the same, right?

Associate
OP
the question is, is it worth the upgrade just for that. I'll be locked into another steep Vodafone contract. £64 is best price they will give me
haha I've already sold my fold 2 had an iphone 12 pro max for 2 months and just sold that, now using my little old iphone SE for 14 days until the fold 3 arrives!!!

Soldato
No, skipping this. Even with a potential 15% discount (via Perksatwork) I feel It's still too expensive for these incremental upgrades. The lack of any camera upgrade is really disappointing and my interest is now directed towards this new 200MP isocell and whatever it drops into really. The Mate X2 ticks the boxes but it's crazy expensive, so that's a no.

Looking towards quirky phones and ones that I've had a soft spot for in the past to satisfy my magpie tendancies.

Back
Top Bottom