Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
So you have access to it when you have the opportunity to use it. It's one of those situations where if you have it you might just make those opportunities.

If you don't have it then you'll never use it. Just like yourself and the kart you'd like to own.

Also just to be very clear I'm against gun ownership for anything except target/clay shooting and some pest control.
i get your point but it sounds like your coming from a convenience to the owner stand point. personally i don't thank that should come into it when it comes to gun ownership. guns should not be convenient to own. I'm actually very pro gun ownership but i just feel there should be added legislation - the main one being that guns owned for sport/pleasure should not be allowed to be stored in a domestic setting.

Soldato
If all guns were stored in one location i.e. a gun club then that would make them a serious target for thieves. They'd need some seriously expensive security to keep on top of it. If a bunch of crims got in and stole a shed load of shotguns the gun club would probably get sued to high heaven. To mitigate this the cost to the gun owners for the safety would be huge. The good thing about having your gun in a cabinet at home is that the vast majority of people don't know you have one. It's not really a target for thieves.

Maybe the requirements for ownership needs to increase, an active test of mental fitness rather than a passive one.

You must pass a psychological assessment rather than:
This person hasn't seen his GP for mental health problems therefore he is fine. (Ok I know there are interviews as well).

I think for people who need shotguns on farms they wouldn't want to store their guns at a gun club.
And for people who have shotguns for sport the cost of storing them at a gun club would be far too expensive.

I think keeping storage the same as now is fine, but the checks on the mental state of the person owning the gun needs to be stronger and more regular.

Soldato
no, i most certainly do not want the government to be my parents. the discussion is hard to have because your argument is and has been easily countered so now you're trying to use nonsense posts.
yes, we have very good gun laws in the UK but they could be better. not just because someone went on a shooting spree. they could just in general be better.

You haven't easily countered any argument just FYI, you calling something "nonsense" doesn't mean anything. The gun laws are very strict in the UK, crimes can be committed no matter how strict laws are because funnily enough someone willing to murder 5 people doesn't give a **** about the law already

Associate
If all guns were stored in one location i.e. a gun club then that would make them a serious target for thieves. They'd need some seriously expensive security to keep on top of it. If a bunch of crims got in and stole a shed load of shotguns the gun club would probably get sued to high heaven. To mitigate this the cost to the gun owners for the safety would be huge. The good thing about having your gun in a cabinet at home is that the vast majority of people don't know you have one. It's not really a target for thieves.

Maybe the requirements for ownership needs to increase, an active test of mental fitness rather than a passive one.

You must pass a psychological assessment rather than:
This person hasn't seen his GP for mental health problems therefore he is fine. (Ok I know there are interviews as well).

I think for people who need shotguns on farms they wouldn't want to store their guns at a gun club.
And for people who have shotguns for sport the cost of storing them at a gun club would be far too expensive.

I think keeping storage the same as now is fine, but the checks on the mental state of the person owning the gun needs to be stronger and more regular.

I am so glad I live in Switzerland where I can buy considerable firepower with little hassle. Some people in this thread would probably have a fit.

Soldato
crimes can be committed no matter how strict laws are because funnily enough someone willing to murder 5 people doesn't give a **** about the law already
have i said otherwise?! but does the fact we have strict laws mean we can't make them stricter/better?
you calling something "nonsense" doesn't mean anything
it does when that thing is indeed nonsense.

Soldato
His mother supposedly begged the police and NHS to get him mental health help, if this turns out to be true then we need a serious investigation into firearms licence protocols :mad:

Soldato

The flip side of that is to allow more people to have access to guns. Then if a person like this sets off shooting random people at some point those people will be firing back at him.

I think any gun owner should have to go for regular psychological checks. From what I'm reading he was putting out paranoia filled videos online that should have been a big flashing red light that he needed help, that he was becoming mentally ill.

Pet Northerner
Don
Indeed. It’s not helped by moderators who allow it to be posted openly, and only get involved once it’s called out by fine upstanding members and the threads derailed, only to then come in, delete everything, and place as much blame on those that call out the disgusting comments as those making them.

It’s utter madness. In this very thread you have had a poster posting at length NF dog whistle racism, the kind of stuff the shooter this threads about followed on Twitter, with absolute 0 action from moderators. I myself have been suspended for calling out racism as apparently that’s a personal attack… so now I have to not call individuals racist, but they can post racism.

The mods must condemn.

I want to make this abundantly clear.

Mods don't have to condemn anything, providing it doesn't break the rules. We are not a foil for you or anyone else to use when you don't like a counterpoint to an argument, regardless of our opinion on the matter.

You reported race baiting and the thread was cleaned at the first opportunity. If there's been more missed posts (we have jobs too you know) then continue to report, as others have. We'll review the posts and take action as needed.

I for one am one of the more left leaning of the bunch and you implying the moderating team is racist is **** poor form IMO.

You know where the RTM button is, you use it enough. If you don't approve of the moderating, use The Appropriate Subforum rather than making snide comments.

Caporegime
i get your point but it sounds like your coming from a convenience to the owner stand point. personally i don't thank that should come into it when it comes to gun ownership. guns should not be convenient to own. I'm actually very pro gun ownership but i just feel there should be added legislation - the main one being that guns owned for sport/pleasure should not be allowed to be stored in a domestic setting.

Not necessarily convenience but I don't believe red tape should be used to make something effectively unobtainable.
I do believe however that ownership needs to be highly controlled. As this whole thing clearly shows.

Soldato
It is genuinely deeply frightening reading the latest Telegraph article (of mostly copy paste quotes). A lot of what he describes as himself is seen very much at the top of the surface 'on the internet' and even this very forum.

"According to one article online, blackpillers believe that no amount of working out (gymmaxxing), earning money (betabuxxing), or sexual strategy (running game) will ever lead to a relationship. They believe there is nothing left to do but to commit suicide (rope) or lay down and rot (LDAR)."

Seems he was an incel who blamed the world for his issues.

Capodecina
Soldato
Well if she is flat out lying about that then that's utterly shameful!
The apple once again doesn't fall far from the tree :mad:

Something like that, yes. In many cases where there is a mental health issue in the family, many parents will a] turn a blind eye [because they don't want to look at themselves] or b] be so used to it that they have given up questioning it. Both types of behaviour are complicit in their own ways.

Also a lot depends on what she means when she says she "begged" the NHS. What did she do, speak to her son's GP - or urge him to do so - get a referral form for mental health, sit down with him and honestly together - with sincere, caring and direct questioning, answer the questions honestly before submisson? Because if she had, he would be on at least step 3 help immediately. Maybe even step 4.

Someone like me can get referred for intensive CBT and psychiatric help and he can't? And I'm not about to go out with a gun murdering anyone either. No, something doesn't add up at all.

Isn't she allegedly one of the victims?

I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom