Significant incident Plymouth

Soldato
Also as another point @Thekwango how does keeping your gun at a range prohibit the guy doing what he did? If a guy wanted to shoot up a load of people, he can just go to the range, get his gun and do what he wants to do. Location of the gun I don't really think makes much difference, preventing nutters from owning guns is the more pressing issue here.
it puts another obstacle in the way. each obstacle helps make these sorts of things more difficult to carry out. i'd have thought that quite obvious.

Soldato
Also as another point @Thekwango how does keeping your gun at a range prohibit the guy doing what he did? If a guy wanted to shoot up a load of people, he can just go to the range, get his gun and do what he wants to do. Location of the gun I don't really think makes much difference, preventing nutters from owning guns is the more pressing issue here.

I suppose it gives a cooling off period. Sure, if someone is determined there's little to stop them but if it was done in a pique of anger and a spur of the moment snap, then it would probably stop that

Soldato

Keep up fella!
The good guys with guns at the club will obviously back-flip, commando roll and then neutralise the threat! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Keep up fella!
The good guys with guns at the club will obviously back-flip, commando roll and then neutralise the threat! :rolleyes:
I don't believe that either. We have incredibly strict gun laws as it is, we have very low gun related incidents. I think a lot of the reactions here are over the top and are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The vast majority of people in Great Britain (excluding NI) who have shotguns have them for valid reasons, Rural/farming related + for sport. I think that people should be free to do those things. I don't think that putting guns in storage at shooting clubs will really do much to lower gun crime, nor would it prevent incidents such as this. I think that more regular checking of people with shotgun licenses is a better deterrent. I think if anyone gets referred to the police for any reason (no matter how minor) and they have a license then the firearms officer should look into them. By the sounds of it, this guy was a bit of a nutter, and if reports are believed he had been reported to the NHS for mental health help. In this scenario his guns should have been confiscated. They weren't. That's a failing.

Associate
Can sympathise with the guy a bit. Dating sites are shoddy for a guy's confidence. My housemate tattooed all over, muscled to the brim, gets attention out and about, but online dating- nothing.
I think the pandemic hasn't been a help, stopping people mixing for a year, mental health taking a backfoot as they're behind.

Soldato
Go back and read their posts in the online dating thread, there's more than a whiff of Jake about them
I don’t understand why the forum seemingly encourages and promotes extremist views. If someone ever did go postal, would there be an element of responsibility? I guess not?
I don't know the answer but I guess there is a level of indemnity. It should be a topic for discussion in the next mod chat though. It is a reason why 4chan gets so much poor press as it really is a breeding ground for this crap. Some of the sub-reddits are absolute cesspits too. A bit like Parler though, eradicating the platform doesn't get rid of the problem.

Soldato
I think the biggest risk from farmers with a gun is to themselves, I was aware that suicide is a big problem in the UK farming community and googling seems to show it's a worldwide problem.

Soldato
Most of the gun crime in the UK used to be rural areas. Theft of guns and people using them dangerously. Most injuries were from people accidently shooting themselves. It was very rare that someone got shot on purpose.

With modern London's gun crime that has likely changed.

Soldato
Obviously not if a woman hating incel black pill extremist with questionable mental health issues is able to go on a killing spree with a legally held firearm :rolleyes:
This is a pretty questionable argument. If it was happening very often I'd agree with you, but it's not. Compare gun related incidents in UK vs US? Why do we have significantly less, because we have gun control laws. They work, demonstrably. I can guarantee you there is no law you can enforce that would stop these things from happening. Bad people do bad things. You will find this in every history book since we could write.

Stabbing happens with kitchen knife -> knife licenses on all knives. Have to be stored in a special knife cabinet that a police man has to inspect regularly.
Someone kills someone while speeding -> GPS based speed limiters in all cars so that no one can exceed speed limits.
Man molests child -> Humans aren't allowed to interact with anyone under the age of 18 unless they're their own children.

We can all come up with ridiculous laws/restrictions to reduce crimes. You have to balance it with freedoms. The current gun laws are fine for the most part. Gun related incidents in the UK are very low. I think that we should have more checks and balances on gun owners with regards to their mental state. But ultimately no matter what is done we won't be able to prevent this happening completely.

Soldato
Urgh, I think it's really bad how Sky have his youtube videos on their website, it feels like a very dangerous thing to do. There will be many other people out there like this guy, who are living on a hair-trigger (no pun intended), and seeing how much publicity somebody like this gets, and how their 'sob story' gets plastered all over the media, isn't going to help.

Back
Top Bottom