Did anybody watch Car Pound Cops - I Want My Car Back?

Man of Honour
It was on Ch4 or Ch5 the other night.
Basically the Cops identify cars with no Car Tax and then get a truck to take them away.
One woman had three cars impounded in three months :eek:

The bit that I thought was a bit wrong was a guy who had his motorbike stolen, it was found by the Cops who sent a truck for it, the bloke then had to pay the full cost of £100 a day when it wasn't his fault.

I thought it was quite an interesting watch but I have one question which was never talked about - do you get points docked if you're caught without Car Tax?

Soldato
Yeah I didn't get the bike bit. I wonder if your insurance would cover that cost though.
Yes.

My mum's car was stolen recovered and I suggested we settle out of insurance and I rekey it etc. Once I saw the bill I decided otherwise :p

Tax payer isn't footing the bill for recovery, council furniture, storage etc. It adds up.

Associate
I had a brand new quad stolen about 10 years ago, the thieves were stopped about 20 miles away and the quad recovered to the nick for prints. It was August bank holiday weekend and there was a delay in getting it dusted. Without warning the quad once dusted was sent to a local recovery firms storage and there 2 nights. I had to pay £150 to get it released and was told by our insurers (we're not on comparison sites) as I'd got it back we couldn't claim for the cost of storage.

Soldato
I once (20 years ago) had my car wrongly impounded. I didn't notice for a day or so and had to pay about £300 to get it back.

The cheeky ******s then tried it on for a second parking ticket on a different street that was issued AFTER the car had been towed.

Associate
Its poor that if your car gets stolen then found the police don't contact you first to retrieve it rather than pay a compound fee

Soldato
No points for lack of tax, £80 fine (halved if paid within 30 days) upto £1k if your a smart arse and take it to court….

My sister once drove around with no tax (forgot to pay it :/) for like 1.5 years before getting picked up by a fixed ANPR camera. Paid the fine, but saved about £200...

Soldato
It was on Ch4 or Ch5 the other night.
Basically the Cops identify cars with no Car Tax and then get a truck to take them away.
One woman had three cars impounded in three months :eek:

The bit that I thought was a bit wrong was a guy who had his motorbike stolen, it was found by the Cops who sent a truck for it, the bloke then had to pay the full cost of £100 a day when it wasn't his fault.

I thought it was quite an interesting watch but I have one question which was never talked about - do you get points docked if you're caught without Car Tax?

Sister-in-law had her car nicked and it was found. Cops asked if they could take it away for forensics, which she agreed, then they had the cheek to try and charge her £175 to get it back.

She complained and got it refunded eventually.

Soldato
I think it is a term and condition of most insurance polices that the car must be taxed and have a valid mot to be coverd.

You can still insure a car that is SORN and un-MOTed. In fact you should because it can still get stolen or damaged, or injure someone.

If you drive on the road without tax/MOT sometimes you are actually covered, but I suspect there will be a **** storm heading your way after a crash.

Last edited:
Associate
Watched this earlier after seeing the thread. I assume the guy whos bike was stolen hadn't taxed it when it was actually nicked and the police had found it in a random street somewhere and took it in? Really didn't understand that one.

Didn't understand the woman who had 3 cars towed. It was coming up as an E350 but had an E220 badge on it and she was saying something about it being a mistake :confused:

Man of Honour
One woman had three cars impounded in three months

I don't understand some people - we had a neighbour at my old house who had multiple chances and persisted in not paying - I dunno if because at first they used a soft touch she thought there wouldn't be real consequences though when they eventually came and towed it away she was out there giving them the full freeman of the land rubbish.

I was actually kind of surprised as I bet if I slipped up and genuinely forgot or whatever they'd come down on me like a ton of bricks but she got like 3 chances to sort it before they took proper action.

Back
Top Bottom