German Doner Kebab

Associate
OP
Loads of the non-chain grilled meat places do takeaways too. You don't have to sit down and have the full restaurant experience, they are happy to sell you food in a box. It seems a no brainer to me to support the small local businesses that give you better food rather than a chain.

Not sure if got my point have you been into a German Kabab shop yet ? Not sure if you can really equate small local business to the German Kebab shop experience.

Soldato
What do they do differently?
I don't know what they do differently but they seem to take it seriously enough. I went to a festival in Berlin and right outside our hostel was the most famous kebab place in Berlin. We're talking 40+ people in the queue practically all times of the day. Way more after 9pm ish.. I only tried it at 9.30am for breakfast on the last day before our flight when there was only a few people waiting :p

Associate
OP
Should be getting one later any one else still going to get one?

If you do tell us what you think about it. I know it is not a Michelin star grade meal but in times of hungry it's something that you can bosh down when you want a bite.

Man of Honour
It's funny, kebabs in the UK are treated as some sort of dirty secret that it's only acceptable to consume when you're hammered.

Here in Vienna, there is a large Turkish immigrant population and you can find excellent quality doner or durum everywhere, it's taken a lot more "seriously" than in England.

Soldato
It's funny, kebabs in the UK are treated as some sort of dirty secret that it's only acceptable to consume when you're hammered.

Here in Vienna, there is a large Turkish immigrant population and you can find excellent quality doner or durum everywhere, it's taken a lot more "seriously" than in England.

It is weird. There are some good kebab places around. Our local Turkish place is great, good quality meats, all homemade breads, pickles etc. Nothing bad about it.

Caporegime
I love doner kebab. As already said, some places really are bad quality, but if you find a good one, the meat is very good and not full of eyeholes, earholes and ********* as everyone seems to think. They actually use decent cuts of lamb.

They might be fatty, but you don’t get takeaway if you want to eat healthy do you? Plus you still get plenty of fresh salad to eat.

Man of Honour
Been meaning to try one of the Edinburgh ones for a while; have to agree though a "kebab" generally over here is looked down on as something for a night out.
I've had incredible kebabs particularly in Germany on my travels; love a donner!

Associate
OP
I love doner kebab. As already said, some places really are bad quality, but if you find a good one, the meat is very good and not full of eyeholes, earholes and ********* as everyone seems to think. They actually use decent cuts of lamb.

They might be fatty, but you don’t get takeaway if you want to eat healthy do you? Plus you still get plenty of fresh salad to eat.

The German Doner is either Chicken or Beef no Lamb unless you buy the spring rolls.

Soldato
I didn't ask...
From personal experience, it just tastes... I dunno... cleaner. Good quality meat, not overly greasy, everything well packaged and not too heavy on one ingredient or another, good portions, all that stuff.
The one obvious difference is that, instead of a pita, it comes in a kind of waffle-bread thing, that soaks up the sauces and flavours without falling apart.

Soldato

Less meat. More chopped fresh vegetables. Freshly baked bread.

Had my first kebab since moving back from Germany recently. It was just a giant pile of pureed arse-meat in a limp pitta with a smattering of soggy lettuce and onion. Grim.

Associate
OP
I didn't ask...
From personal experience, it just tastes... I dunno... cleaner. Good quality meat, not overly greasy, everything well packaged and not too heavy on one ingredient or another, good portions, all that stuff.
The one obvious difference is that, instead of a pita, it comes in a kind of waffle-bread thing, that soaks up the sauces and flavours without falling apart.

Well said sir.

Soldato
I'm clearly spoilt for choice when it comes to decent kebabs here but GDK is distinctly average when I've tried it.

I don't know what they do differently but it's not a patch on a decent donner kebab in durum from Berlin / Vienna. Plus, it's hideously overpriced for what you get.

Don
Better than your standard UK offering but the one I went to in Finsbury Park wasn't a patch on anyone of the 20 you'd get from the Turkish places on Green Lanes around the corner.
Whenever I'm in London or even traveling anywhere near London, I'll make the trip to Green Lanes. The best kebabs outside Turkey.

Soldato
Decided to try GDK for the first time tonight, went for the original kebab with chicken for the choice of filling.

I thought it was really good! I’m not a big fan of the typical takeaway kebabs but this was certainly different, as others have said less greasy, more fresh vegetables and the bread was lovely.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Decided to try GDK for the first time tonight, went for the original kebab with chicken for the choice of filling.

I thought it was really good! I’m not a big fan of the typical takeaway kebabs but this was certainly different, as others have said less greasy, more fresh vegetables and the bread was lovely.

Told yah! :p

I have not been to a Kebab shop but if I feel like one I'll have a German one.

Soldato
This one near my work. Pictures don't make it look very good IMO.
Promo photos look okay but real life photos look below average. Salad especially looks all brown like last week's salad. Not what I expected after reading this thread. People just buy into the marketing it seems.

German Doner Kebab
0161 676 3366
https://maps.app.goo.gl/YAXxg8PF1BxCaBEa8

Especially when I have this stunning place nearby. Actual proper kebabs, with real fresh ingredients.

La Turka Bistro Monton
0161 971 5309
https://maps.app.goo.gl/F836es6UzZFSzmBH9

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom