Anyone deal with arachnophobia? NO Pictures of Spiders unless in spoiler tags.

Associate
No one ever believes me- in my old house I woke up to the sound of my dog barking/growing- only to walk into the kitchen to find him barking at a house spider on the wall easily 6 inches in diameter

I had no idea it was possible for them to reach that size, no one ever believes me and I've never seen one that big since- but it was only just a bit smaller than my hand

Tried to find a glass to put it in with cardboard underneath, but of course I have no 6" glasses- ended up having to use a soup pan and threw the demon outside

I have a slight fear of spiders but after seeing that collosus even the ugliest house spiders dont cut it

Capodecina
Soldato
@Rexton I believe you. We got a couple of big ones in our last flat. Some of them can get quite big.

Certain houses are spider houses, and they house types of spiders.

We get a lot of the spindly ones in our flat [cellar spiders], which I don't mind at all and apparently they are quite aggressive to other spiders, which is good.

Pet Northerner
Don
If it's this vital that you're considering thread bans then why hasn't a MOD put that info in the OP yet, avoiding this issue entirely??? Instead there's just post No 61 and a further warning of bans on post No 125 that most folks just aren't going to read amongst the scrawl of 120+ posts?

Make things simple and simple people will do what you ask, make it complicated and it'll get missed - just basics :D

I've done just that.

Soldato
I've not tried the Sawyer one, it's picaridin in that one I think, I use a permethrin-based one.

Edit: Just spotted your link, that Sawyer one is permethrin-based too, I use the LifeSystems version.

I've heard people recommend putting outdoor clothing in a tumble drier before they wash them to kill any ticks, as they can apparently survive a go in the washing machine! Hardy little *******!

That is a very good idea with the pillow case, will have to try that - it's the near-invisible nymphs you have to be careful with, as apparently they are more likely to carry Lyme Disease.

Sorry to hear about your mate. For anyone interested, here's a video of a girl who documented her own battle with Lyme Disease...

I have the Lifesystems spray also, the one in the black bottle. I also heard they can survive a wash but I hope that the spray does it’s job as it’s supposed to last 6 washes. I’m sceptical about that and will give me clothes a light spray before I got out especially my trail shoes or boots.

Try the pillow case catcher or go one step further like these dudes :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I have the Lifesystems spray also, the one in the black bottle. I also heard they can survive a wash but I hope that the spray does it’s job as it’s supposed to last 6 washes. I’m sceptical about that and will give me clothes a light spray before I got out especially my trail shoes or boots.

Try the pillow case catcher or go one step further like these dudes :cry:

Christ almighty, that is one horrendous video! You couldn't pay me to do what that lad in the painters suit did!

It was equally interesting and terrifying to see the experiment with the dry ice. So basically, they will come to you if you stay still long enough and it's not just my paranoid imagination getting the better of me :eek:

Right that's it, I'm not going over the ******* door ever again! :p

Associate
One thing I'm confused about is that theres one of these tiny spiders in my lounge and then I see one in either my bedroom or bathroom, but never both at once.

I've never spotted it scuttling across the hallway so either there are two separate ones upstairs, or more likely its a phase spider that teleports between rooms.

Fortunately the bathroom one hid under the bathtub while I vacuumed, otherwise I would need to put it in a cup.

Big ass house spiders get thrown right out, the little ones are zero problem.

Soldato
So this is clear.

No pictures of Spiders unless they're in spoiler tags.
This is a thread about people's fear of them.

Any further pictures that are not tagged will result in people losing access to this thread.

People speak about bravery when it comes to Policing tough urban neighbourhoods in Chicago or SF soldiers clearing houses with bayonets attached in Iraq but these mods are the real heroes, protecting every day people from seeing pictures of spiders on their screen.

Associate
So I thought I was getting ok with at least tiny spiders, but one somehow ended up on my bed and was crawling towards me, I had to flick it off using my tablet.

Don't actually want them on my body thanks.

Man of Honour
Loads of false widows popping up around our gym, hot tub, outside of the house over the last few years. Hate the things. Really tough to kill. The type of web seems very characteristic of them.

Associate
I recall some years ago reading Pan Horror Stories Volume 4. The front cover had a picture of a large spider. I tried to avoid looking at the cover and even touching the spider
After a week I got use to the cover and thought nothing of it.
This did reduce my phobia of spiders.

Soldato
I'm perfectly happy handling small spiders, just recently I've been regularly finding baby spiders crawling on my arms or clothes I'm wearing, no issues coaxing them on to a finger and then releasing them in som evegetation. It's when their legs get over a couple of mm thick or their body gets bigger than roughly a 20p coin, such as a Garden Spider, handling them directly becomes an issue and it's time to get a tumbler plus a bit of card!

Man of Honour
Found another large false widow under the hot tub lip near the top today whilst cleaning the cover. I had the water vacuum to hand, so dispatched it quickly. There’s at least one more large one in my gym based on the web it’s made, just need it to come out from where ever it’s hiding. There’s another small one in there too, but they grow so quickly. Hate the things. Between my gym and hot tub it’s clearly created a breeding ground for them.

Soldato
I'm ok with spiders now execpt when they suprise me, they make me jump. I can handle them and get them outside without too many problems. I was petrified of them as a kid and the only reason i got over them was due to my father hurling spiders at me. He got sick of removing them from the bathroom when i was creating a scene so he used to grab them and toss them at me with the age old line " 'ere just get used to them". Eventually i did get used to them slowly and im ok with them now but not great.

Soldato
I'm ok with spiders now execpt when they suprise me, they make me jump. I can handle them and get them outside without too many problems. I was petrified of them as a kid and the only reason i got over them was due to my father hurling spiders at me. He got sick of removing them from the bathroom when i was creating a scene so he used to grab them and toss them at me with the age old line " 'ere just get used to them". Eventually i did get used to them slowly and im ok with them now but not great.

My Mum was quite similar. She once showed a really big one to our dog that she'd caught and the dog just bit it in half. She stopped after that.

TBH, I was never that bothered about spiders. Then I was for a short while. Then I wasn't. I'm more scared of damaging them when I catch them before I chuck them out than I am of anything else and when I live on my own I just leave them be.

Soldato
Went to get my cereal and thought ' not much left in' so I pulled the plastic liner bag part out and then to my horror saw a giant house spider was enjoying my cornflakes!!!

Jesus I had a mini heart attack, glad I didn't pour them straight out!

Associate
Just chucked a fairly sizable one outside.

I'm not bothered by small spiders, just not particularly fond of the large house size spider. Particularly when they're in the bathroom scurrying around. Tarantulas are also fine, although I probably wouldn't like to run into one in the wild.

Capodecina
Soldato
Went to get my cereal and thought ' not much left in' so I pulled the plastic liner bag part out and then to my horror saw a giant house spider was enjoying my cornflakes!!!

Jesus I had a mini heart attack, glad I didn't pour them straight out!

**** that is horrific.

Back
Top Bottom